2013 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much wind today, but bigger seas. We were in 2meter swells most of the day, but the wind stayed down. Fished big bank again and produced as usual. Easy limits of Hali's & Springs, but only managed one hatchery coho.

Heading to Ukee tonight, will dump the boat in the morning any recent updates? Will be at Island West staying on the boat "SURF DANCER" stop by if your around. There till Wedesday.

Big Bank continues to ROCK - loads of Hungry feeder springs into the twenties, with the odd Biggie around. Rat's Nose and the Shallows both producing machine-gun Fast! Halibut are consistent and reasonably quick out there as well.

Inshore is a tad slower, but appears to have a higher proportion of somewhat larger fish.

Reports from up-Island suggest a wave of Biggies will soon be appearing in the Tofino / Ukee areas. Suspect these 30+ sized returners will likely wander through close to the beach, but at this point that is still anybody's guess. We'll of course be on the prowl for them, and word will get out quick once they show...

Back in Port for the night, then running back to Ukee tomorrow. Drop by the boat and say Hi if you get the chance Casper!

Tight Lines!! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Hey Nog, I havent fished Big Bank yet but have been out to star fish a few times with great success. from what I understand, big bank is due south 26 miles. Is that correct...Do you have lat and long to put in my gps or a rough idea where on big bank to go IE far southerly side of the bank or easterly or troll from east to west...Just asking..tks in advance
Mike

was up from the 2nd - 6th. fishing was amazing. lots of cohos in the 8 - 10 lbs range at 35 - 50 feet. Also nailed a 42 inch ling which tasted excellent. Used white hootchies and green back hootchies with short leaders. Just prior to fishing there, got our limit of hali out at SE corner of south bank in an hour. Trolled from rats nose back to Ukkee and nailed a few coho but have not been into the springs yet. Guess I have to try and figure out where this big bank is so I can join in on the action. Missed out on the tyee's last year, dont want to do the same this year.

Hey Nog, I will be up at Salmon Beach just outside of Ucluelet as of Monday. Where are you. Would love to stop by and exchange spots, stories and have a coffee/beer with ya. Thanks again :)

Where are you. Would love to stop by and exchange spots, stories and have a coffee/beer with ya. Thanks again :)

Second Boat, left side of the main walkway of the boat basin. You're looking for this:

Moonsnail_3.jpg

See You Soon ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Hey Matt pulled the gear right after are phone call and moved to your spot. Dropped the gear and double header and am continuing to nail springs and coho. Just looking for 3 more and we will be limited out for the day. Thanks for the tip. Hope to meet up tomorrow night with you.

Ironnoggin - I dropped by to see you but was never able to be there when you were. I like the boat behind yours, three 300HP motors on it...WOW!!! :O

Nice catch! Where abouts were you fishing?

Thanks. Big Bank approx 25 miles offshore it's quite large, some days it's the inside edge and if the fish are small then a run to the outside edge can turn up some bigger fish. Bigger fish 90 - 120 ft lots of feeders on the bottom 200 - 220 ft. Most boats seem to be like a flock of pigeons the majority of the time I don't see anyone all day other than when we leave the mouth of the harbor.

Thxs for posting the pics UC,
sweet!

Pa and my Uncle with the Cousins were up for a few days. Fishing is Damn Good these days, and I Truly ENJOYED having The Clan around again!!

Dad_1.jpg

Don_1.jpg

Dad_2.jpg

Dad_6.jpg

Cheers!
Nog

anything happening on southbank? all the bigger fish seem to be using big bank as the migratory route and skipping it...??? nice fishin again nogger!!!

Are you using the coho killer?

Thanks Discus.
I have a Wall Of Death well arranged inside the cuddy. And there are indeed a few coho killers amongst that. Of late, the best performance has been coming from Tomic 5 & 6" painted herring spoons. Others are enjoying great success with hootchies, but most of my Ladz prefer to fight the fish and not the blades. No pilchards yet this season, to that arsenal still remains packed. Still hoping they come on, but at this point it looks rather dismal for them...

Trophywife: The Big Bank is pretty loaded up with good sized feeders (up to 20+). The odd Biggie out there, but you have to wade through a pile of fish to find them. Closer in has been tougher fishing, but those you do find are often of the larger variety.

Headed back out today and Looking Forward! :D
Stop by for a BS if you're in the neighborhood...

Cheers,
Nog

Ucluelet Fishing Report - From Big Bear Salmon Charters

Hello everyone!

We've been having a great, busy season here in Ucluelet!
So far, August has given us tons of action, with some ridiculously calm, glassy days on the water. We're catching tons of Chinook, with some Coho and Hali keeping us busy as well.

advanced nutrients 2 (640x428).jpg

IMGP6441 (640x416).jpg

july group (640x415).jpg

We're loving the newest addition to our fleet - this beautiful Weldcraft 300 Cuddy King!
weldcraft (640x422).jpg
We've still got some availability for the remainder of August and into September. We've also got some special deals going on... involving the gorgeous brand new hotel Whiskey Landing Lodge that's just opened up in our building. Call us for more information and to book!
1-855-972-5666

Happy fishing - from your crew at Big Bear!

Big Bear Signature logo.jpg

Thanks Discus.
I have a Wall Of Death well arranged inside the cuddy. And there are indeed a few coho killers amongst that. Of late, the best performance has been coming from Tomic 5 & 6" painted herring spoons. Others are enjoying great success with hootchies, but most of my Ladz prefer to fight the fish and not the blades. No pilchards yet this season, to that arsenal still remains packed. Still hoping they come on, but at this point it looks rather dismal for them...

You are welcome Nogger! What is Wall of death?

I am very dolling I always want to go fishing at UKEE.

Well done!

cheers
Discus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back