Sooke Reports - 2007

Don't meen to high jack the thread but I can't find on my chart where Muir Point is,,, just concerned because of the Chinook closure starting Aug 1st, from northerly of a line from Possesion Point to Muir Point ????

Not to worry. Is like that most years.
Is basically the Sooke Harbour entrance.
Take about a 310 True bearing from Possesion Point.
Is also called the bluffs I believe.
Still lots of places to fish!

Muir Point sticks out in the middle of the Bluffs. It is where Sooke's sewer outfall is, yaaayyyy. ;)

Basically this closure means you can't fish for springs in sooke harbour, the basin, or the harbour mouth -- stay on outside of possession point.

Big Thx guys,,, I figgured it was along those lines but wanted to be sure,,,,, 19 days and counting......

seen a 24.8lber being weighed at Cheanuh around 9pm last night, we hit lots of pinks, a few shaker springs, and 2 wild coho...nothing of any size on our boat

7:30 start, Caught a 19.5 Lbs @ the trap at tide change - 70' anchovie.
Then went out to tide lines and got our 7 pinks in 1 1/2 hours.
Beautiful day on the water.

Yah, 7:00 start for me, tried for the big one in close, not a sniff around Trap for me (didn't 'see' any others at the time either), went out to the tidelines at 8:30 as my neice was with me, and couldn't keep those suckers off - had about 15 in the 2 hours out there, kept our limit...all 60-100 feet - that was alot of rigger cranking. Actually surprised that it was almost congested out at the tidelines too - guess the word got out ;)

Was lots of pinks when I came in at the dock and a nice thick 30 as well that was caught at the Trap.

We fished otter point from shore today.I tussled with a nice coho until i lost it in the kelp.Saw lots of boats out there all catching fish.

fished secretary back to beechy and just hit pinks until 830 at the head got a 24.4. didn't see much either, just the odd one. this is my first season fishing sooke, is august the best for springs?

Put in a good shift for springs today between 9:00 and 12:00
between beechey and the trap, nothing doing...
went out to the tide lines and had lots of pinks, a few wild coho
and a nice sockeye we released.:(
ya gotta try a "Chernobel" hootchie (black and pink)...
could not keep the fish off.

We dropped the spring gear in by 9:30am at Otter, 5 min. in we had a nice hook up, turned into a screamer that wouldn't stop it just about spooled me out 300+ yards.. we had to fire up the big motor to chase it down! With gear still in the water it got a little crazy.. we got it in the boat it was a 25lb. male spring with attitude.. we thought it was the start of a great day for springs!! For the next several hours we saw nothing in the way of spring action... we headed out a few miles and quickly limited out with some nice Hatchery coho and pinks.. Fire up them smokers!

I picked up my first tyee today at the trap. 37.5 lbs. :D Also got a 14lb chum.

IMG_0252-1.jpg
[/img]

Back