Help with buying my first boat

After a crazy 24 hour trip with a “big boat first” guy. If you do go big make sure you have a friend to take it out with lots to learn, learning curve on big boats are steep.

I would really push for a well kept 18 footer as a first boat. If you are going bigger I would buy with enough cabin, under cover space for family, I am not a fan of big boats with only two seats under cover.

I went with an 18 hewescraft took to swiftsure, fished all over the inside owned it for 3 years, great first boat. My brother bought a Livingston Viking 19? a cuddy and used it for 12 months a year for 3-4 years. Both were reputable boats with good engines that we resold without loosing our shirts.

I sold mine for more than I paid for it. But that damn sure wasn't what I had into it! Lol
I rest my case lol, I’ve own quite a few over the years, most where beaters, but maintenance and repairs into the cost of owning into the initial investment and it’s definitely a badddddfd investment, boats and travel trailers are plain bad investment, expensive tin boats hold there value a bit better but for the same factor mentioned above they are still losers IMO

If you buy a boat for resale value you should definitely rethink buying a boat period
LOL, whatever man.

I'm not talking about breaking even or anything. I'm talking about ensuring we can sell it if we need to, and it doesn't just sit like so many unknown and questionable brands do.

But thanks for your wise words.

I rest my case lol, I’ve own quite a few over the years, most where beaters, but maintenance and repairs into the cost of owning into the initial investment and it’s definitely a badddddfd investment, boats and travel trailers are plain bad investment, expensive tin boats hold there value a bit better but for the same factor mentioned above they are still losers IMO
So my last grumpy, cold & sickly misery fueled response aside. Wouldn't you suggest I buy a boat that won't be difficult to resell?

This Polar 2300 is a bit of a dream for me, but any research on the brand leads to uber-negativity which many people will run away from.

LOL, whatever man.

I'm not talking about breaking even or anything. I'm talking about ensuring we can sell it if we need to, and it doesn't just sit like so many unknown and questionable brands do.

But thanks for your wise words.
I would stay away from that sea fox period, resale on name brands like , Grady pursuit whaler, DE are pretty good, trophy, sea swirl not so much, tin boats hold value better. All I am doing is trying to help you out so your not delusional on buying a boat, it’s a toy, if you have limited supply of disposable imcome don’t buy one, it will end up being and expensive lawn ornamant. Good luck

i basically dont worry about resale. i also dont finance boats. i just use capital gains to cover the boat expenses. BILS pays the Bills.
the point is resale value is the wrong metric to use.
the right metric to use is - is this boat as it sits right now work for my mission ? if it doesnt, then buy some other boat.
also boats are not investments....period. they are fun toys and occasionally vacation homes for half a year or less depending on size.
i suggest you try a bunch of boats before you buy. im going to be sea trialling my boat again in a few weeks once the electric drive is in - so if you want to experience an 18 foot aluminum i can take you+SO on a half day run since my usual buddy is out of commission with family stuff as long as you are in the vancouver area and dont mind driving. mostly it will be sea trial since i have a bunch of new systems to integrate which means time spent floating around with the boat half apart.

Last edited:
The brand name and the ability to resell is critical, when you have two footitus, you don’t want to own two boats at a time unless you are “trying hard” to sell the other one ;)

Deciding what boat to buy is so much easier when a buddy says I love Whalers or Silver Streaks. When someone has a nightmare of a rotten transom or with badly maintained inboards they will say stay away from X.

Go and buy a 2005 or newer Campion 542 with a 150hp Yamaha on the back and it will tick every single box. Easy resale, keeps value, easy to tow and launch, good on fuel, handles big weather great for a 19.5’ boat ect ect. End of convo.
That is likely where I'm heading. Since I'm sick as a dog now and I have a business trip from Sunday to Wed... I'll be making real moves late next week. We'll see what is still available I guess.

Thanks guys. Those were all or still are in my list. I've removed any that have E-Tec engines sadly.

Also, boats without stern seats (some of the Trophy's and Seaswirls) are low on my list now. I really want a combination cruiser for my family and a fisher.

That's why the Campion 546 is still my #1 choice.

Back