Help with buying my first boat

Thanks. Are Verados particularly different somehow, or issue prone? Just curious.
Not issueor more prone from other engines, I had a 2005 and sold in 2020. They are supercharged engines and the supercharges can have issues but not super common that I know of.
Smooth and quiet engines great on fuel My buddy has a 2010 175 and he loves it

They are basically a high performance 4 stroke but can idle all day. A few times mine did as the kicker was louder than it.

I've owned 3 whalers (still have one).

The 21s seem to trade hands more than the 23s. Maybe they made more 21s, but I'm not sure. I suspect folks hold onto to the 23s longer as they make a better swiss army knife.

Those are neat little boats. Not a big 21 but the lack of a walk around makes for decent width at the helm. Preference to the 23 as it does away with the motor well protruding into the boat at the transom.

as others mention, the older verado is alright. I wouldnt account much for value. I'd prefer buying the larger and simpler 3L 150 merc used over this small block supercharged unit. Ad doesn't say year but the verados got better and better as the generations went on. Hopefully it's a 2010 plus motor.

I can't imagine this will be towable with the highlander.

Not issueor more prone from other engines, I had a 2005 and sold in 2020. They are supercharged engines and the supercharges can have issues but not super common that I know of.
Smooth and quiet engines great on fuel My buddy has a 2010 175 and he loves it

They are basically a high performance 4 stroke but can idle all day. A few times mine did as the kicker was louder than it.
I was going to say supercharger issues are fairly common on the bigger ones, not sure the 175, a guy that was moored beside my buddy’s had lots of issues with his,he kept a spare supercharger at all times, ended up unloading them for yamy. Like any used older engines you take a gamble, now the question is ??? Are you a gambler. Definitely a way better rig then any trophy or campion IMO::::quick search on the THT and nothing but good reviews on those verados , except the 275 supercharge

Last edited:
That’s a lot of dough for a boat that is underpowered with a dated engine and interior that needs replacing. If there’s rust running down the gel coat in the cockpit area I would imagine the owners attention the detail wasn’t spectacular. It’s a 40k boat in my opinion and I haven’t even seen the trailer and its condition. Just my two cents

Thanks all.

- The interior is in excellent condition. I checked it out.

- The trailer is aluminum and in excellent shape.

- The weight won't be a problem. I'm looking at boats I can't tow with the Highlander. A plan is in hand for that.

- The trailer is immaculate and completely refreshed.

- The motor is my greatest concern. The head on it was completely replaced at 1000hrs, so that's something. I'll have to get the price reduced a bunch if I go for it. That much I know.

In terms of the motor, how much weight should I put on a successful mechanical inspection? Assuming the news is good.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

- The weight won't be a problem. I'm looking at boats I can't tow with the Highlander. A plan is in hand for that.

- The motor is my greatest concern. The head on it was completely replaced at 1000hrs, so that's something. I'll have to get the price reduced a bunch if I go for it. That much I know.

In terms of the motor, how much weight should I put on a successful mechanical inspection? Assuming the news is good.
It’s a used outboard, they can go boom anytime, I know lol

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong listing. The rear cushion in that photo looks shot to me and the rust stained gel coat below the bait table doesn’t look great. Maybe my eyes are bad? IMG_5433.png

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong listing. The rear cushion in that photo looks shot to me and the rust stained gel coat below the bait table doesn’t look great. Maybe my eyes are bad?

I'm with you @Buckethead905 ... this Whaler looks very dirty and weathered. That cushion hasn't seen a canvas cover for YEARS! I love Whalers but this one seems overpriced for the way it's pictured here.

Why not look for simpler boat with a much newer engine?
Prioritize reliability, and get as much boat as you can afford (and haul).
Move up later if you want to explore more challenging waters.

Nothing worse than thinking you'll be spending a day on the water only to end up fighting with mechanicals and going home frustrated, or worse.

Why not look for simpler boat with a much newer engine?
Prioritize reliability, and get as much boat as you can afford (and haul).
Move up later if you want to explore more challenging waters.

Nothing worse than thinking you'll be spending a day on the water only to end up fighting with mechanicals and going home frustrated, or worse.
This is great advice. A 542 sounds like it’ll do the job well and you can find them at great prices. To me, that whaler is far too beat up for nearly 60k.

Thanks all.

98% of happiness for me is reliable power. To replace that engine new with say a 225 is 30k plus. Is it a 90k boat with new power? Not a chance
What are the total hours on the engine?
That will be a start to explore if it is remotely worth asking price.
Trailer in great shape? When were the brake done last? Hubs and seals done last?

I personally would not be too enthused the head was replaced. Rather have an engine at 2000hours with no major work

My 2 cents

I spent the last two days driving all over the place on the Island looking at potential boats.

Nothing was a good enough fit. The Whaler is still my preference with the exception of the engine, for which he'd have to reduce the overall price - to allow for an inevitable upgrade.

My backup is the Campion 542 or a 682. I do love the 542, and the 682 is impressive!

I'm not concerned about the size being too large (within reason). As I alluded to in my first post, I'm a very experienced (just rusty) boater. I was a skipper on 21ft boats for years and spent my childhood boating solo with my own 16 footer.

This is just my first significant boat.
Again, love all of your help. Thanks!! 🙏

Last edited:
I've owned lots of vehicles and my rule with cars is: never buy a car that just had the transmission rebuilt or the heads off and is sold 'claiming' clean bill of health. If the head on the Merc was done 200hrs ago and has gone through a season or two with no trouble, no oil consumption, etc - great - you are in the clear. If it was done 15-20hrs ago - highly suspect.

Any major repair needs hours on it to tell if it was a quality job, never buy something that just came out of the shop without mentally budgeting on a full redo.

I spent the last two days driving all over the place on the Island looking at potential boats.

Nothing was a good enough fit. The Whaler is still my preference with the exception of the engine, for which he'd have to reduce the overall price - to allow for an inevitable upgrade.

My backup is the Campion 542 or a 682. I do love the 542, and the 682 is impressive!

I'm not concerned about the size being too large (within reason). As I alluded to in my first post, I'm a very experienced (just rusty) boater. I was a skipper on 21ft boats for years and spent my childhood boating solo with my own 16 footer.

This is just my first significant boat.
Again, love all of your help. Thanks!! 🙏
The good thing about the verado is if you need to upgrade the 6cyl one are around and wether it is a 225 6cyl or 300 they weigh the same and all your controls will work. Might need a different module but I do not think so.

The whalers are a well made boat.

Once again ask him how much he wants for that $35,000 boat. lol.

Good luck

That engine is worth 5-8k trailer 5k so hull at 40-43, too much, people all want too much for 20 year old boats imo

I've owned lots of vehicles and my rule with cars is: never buy a car that just had the transmission rebuilt or the heads off and is sold 'claiming' clean bill of health. If the head on the Merc was done 200hrs ago and has gone through a season or two with no trouble, no oil consumption, etc - great - you are in the clear. If it was done 15-20hrs ago - highly suspect.

Any major repair needs hours on it to tell if it was a quality job, never buy something that just came out of the shop without mentally budgeting on a full redo.
Yeah it's worked beautifully for him for over 200hrs. So it's promising.

Yeah it's worked beautifully for him for over 200hrs. So it's promising.
To be honest it sounds like you’re on here looking for peoples advice but ultimately are going to make the entirety of your decision on what you’re wanting to tell yourself is a good idea, regardless of what everyone else has to say. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, and some experienced people have stepped up and offered some very sound advice to which you are smiling and nodding but everyone knows you’re not really listening. I think you should buy that 35k-40k whaler for 57K so everyone on here can say “we told you so” when it all goes belly up and you’re 30K into a repower wondering how the hell you ended up there.

Back