Help with buying my first boat

If you can do without a cuddy, your earlier direction towards a bowrider with a fishing area in the back is great for kids and the family. Going to beaches and having the kids step out of the front or riding up front when it’s calm will be a memory they will cherish.

Did you see the 2006 542 with 150 yammie on Marketplace in Saanich? It’s pending now , but you never know…. What about the 06 1902 in Summerland on Marketplace ? Might be a little light on power , but doable . Gives you time to save for a 150 replacement down the line .

Did you see the 2006 542 with 150 yammie on Marketplace in Saanich? It’s pending now , but you never know…. What about the 06 1902 in Summerland on Marketplace ? Might be a little light on power , but doable . Gives you time to save for a 150 replacement down the line .
Damn, yeah I spoke with the guy with the 2006. I wanted to see it, but got sick. Sigh.

That's okay, I started looking early (before the money was available) for a reason. Now that I have it, I'll get serious and we'll see what happens.

There’s a Arima Sea Ranger 21 on Marketplace in Burns Lake that’s just been listed in the past couple days. Decent deal imo. Cult like following for Arimas… so easy resale if you so choose. Pretty sure it’s under 5500 lbs …
I’m hopeless at reposting from Facebook on my new phone…. Sorry .

Those scouts are a badass little boat. Nice lines, well built, well reviewed, versatile. That’s some rich persons tender that they just want to get off of. Seems like a solid deal, I would value that package at 50k all day.
Agreed, way better then an older campion

From what I've seen Boston Whalers don't really have a bad year. Is there anything in particular I should look out for other than the obvious wear and tear and of course engine concerns?

I'm seriously considering putting an offer in on a 2000 21-footer that I've just looked at (in person) and is in great shape.

They don't seem to come up for sale very often so I'm thinking I might have to act fast. Agree? Disagree?

The offer will, of course, be subject to survey and mechanical inspection.

A 21ft outrage would be an amazing boat (if you can live without the cuddy). You could own it for 2-3 years and if you keep it half decent you can sell it on for reasonably close to what you paid for it.

With the Whalers, pay more and buy one that has been stored on land rather than moored - everything will be in nicer shape. In your price range you should be looking at something more recent, and look for newer power. Take a look at something like this - fairly pristine looking with no bottom paint. Price seems a bit high, depending on engine hours.

A 21ft outrage would be an amazing boat (if you can live without the cuddy). You could own it for 2-3 years and if you keep it half decent you can sell it on for reasonably close to what you paid for it.

With the Whalers, pay more and buy one that has been stored on land rather than moored - everything will be in nicer shape. In your price range you should be looking at something more recent, and look for newer power. Take a look at something like this - fairly pristine looking with no bottom paint. Price seems a bit high, depending on engine hours.

Beauty, just needs a bath. Ad says Optimax but it must be a brochure quote as it has a Verado 200 on it.

I would say it is priced high. Looks like it need a good cleaning and the power age of a 2004 would have me concerned. They are great engines however 20 years old and low hours is not great. Might be newer power

From what I've seen Boston Whalers don't really have a bad year. Is there anything in particular I should look out for other than the obvious wear and tear and of course engine concerns?

I'm seriously considering putting an offer in on a 2000 21-footer that I've just looked at (in person) and is in great shape.

They don't seem to come up for sale very often so I'm thinking I might have to act fast. Agree? Disagree?

The offer will, of course, be subject to survey and mechanical inspection.
Only well priced boats with new power do you need to act fast in my opinion. My buddy just sold his whaler and it had a Suzuki under warranty.

Some Whalers can get water into the foam, my buddy likes the 2000 whaler but it’s interested in some other years, I think the company changed hands a couple times. Might be worth weighting a bigger one to estimate if there has been water intrusion.

Only well priced boats with new power do you need to act fast in my opinion. My buddy just sold his whaler and it had a Suzuki under warranty.

Some Whalers can get water into the foam, my buddy likes the 2000 whaler but it’s interested in some other years, I think the company changed hands a couple times. Might be worth weighting a bigger one to estimate if there has been water intrusion.
Hmm. This is the one I'm interested in: https://www.facebook.com/share/oifbkXyfamHeUE7z/?mibextid=kL3p88

Nice, wish there were more pictures. Bottom paint would indicate some mooring of the boat, which would be worth weighing it during the sea trail, the scale on the say to sidney is the easiest place. It looks like he or the last owner invested some money, kicker, sounder, trailer. Might be a good buy. I don't have anything against those verandos but if it's 10 plus year older engine budget for a repower. My buddies both repowered their 2000ish whalers to the tune of 25-35k.

I looked at Whalers when I was shopping for my centre console. Definitely appealing: safety, ride well, good reputation/resale. 2000s and later all seem good. Wet foam is a thing to be mindful of, especially if you are buying something that has been long term moored, or has visible hull damage/cracks/scrapes that could have let water in. This hull looks pristine so likely not as much of a concern. I think there are some issues around replacing fuel tanks on a few model years where it requires a bit of open heart surgery - caveat emptor - but the Whaler community has a ton of support.

This one is hard to tell by pictures - the topside/vinyl definitely looks a bit dirty, but maybe its just sat uncovered for a month or two and washes right off - but if you had to replace the whole vinyl package... pass.

Engine is 20 years old, so no guarantees on that. But at 630hrs = 31.5hrs/year. Basically light usage / no trolling: low, but not abnormally low. Same story for me - I use my boat most weekends in the summer, and only put on about 50hrs a year. For a lot of us, the motor doesn't wear out - its just gets harder to find parts, mechanics aren't as enthusiastic to work old tech, and you keep eyeing the latest/greatest. At some point, something breaks - and you just say F-it and buy a new motor.

All that said - I still thought this was priced high based on the age of engine. You are buying a nice hull with a 'currently' working motor as a bonus (negotiated accordingly).

Back