Help with buying my first boat

200k is nothing for a Highlander. If you look on the Toyota forums you will see 300k miles that’s is not uncommon. Save your money get a boat.

I bought a bigger boat before my truck. Cheapest big tow vehicle with seating for 5-6 is a chev/gmc 2500hd, they did make a 1500hd, but a little old now I think. Choosing the right transmission is the only thing to look out for from my understand on them. Tundra is a great choice, any year is capable of 10k towing but they do recommend a weight distribution hitch for anything over 5k for the mid/early 2010’s

I bought a bigger boat before my truck. Cheapest big tow vehicle with seating for 5-6 is a chev/gmc 2500hd, they did make a 1500hd, but a little old now I think. Choosing the right transmission is the only thing to look out for from my understand on them. Tundra is a great choice, any year is capable of 10k towing but they do recommend a weight distribution hitch for anything over 5k for the mid/early 2010’s
A 4X4 has low range for pulling out of the water so a lttle less horsepower might get a little better mileage.
I towed a 80's 24' Searay with a 5.3 liter 4X4 chevy PU, in and out was no issue but it did struggle a little pulling up the hill out of Port Alberni but I could get it up to 120 kmh on the highway.

My current rig is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with a 5.9 liter gas engine.
I pull my current 25' Searay Express Cruisier with no problem, albeit the boat is 5000 lb dry weight. Not a cabin cruiser, big boat with a large cuddy cabin.
I have also towed this with a 2002 Tahoe 4X4 with a 4.8 liter engine but that struggled up hills

There is some fantastic advice here. Thank you, all! Truly.

I'm now reconsidering the vehicle... especially after looking at the satisfaction scores for the trucks that would suit our needs... quality is so low these days!! I don't like that any truck but a pricey Toyota is a scary roll of the dice whether or not they will be a nightmare or a good buy.

I can't even begin to share all the knowledge I've had to inhale about trucks the last could of days (I'm a bit obsessive) that is probably a 50th of what you all know.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

I'm now reconsidering the vehicle... especially after looking at the satisfaction scores for the trucks that would suit our needs... quality is so low these days!! I don't like that any truck but a pricey Toyota is a scary roll of the dice whether or not they will be a nightmare or a good buy.

I can't even begin to share all the knowledge I've had to inhale about trucks the last could of days (I'm a bit obsessive) that is probably a 50th of what you all know.

I'm a Toyota guy (1977 Landcruiser, 2011 Highlander, had a 1997 4Runner) but that V6 is pretty new still, when I was in Australia they were all after the older V8 Landcruiser... I'm sticking with my 1995 F250 for as long as I can at this point.

Edit: I don't envy your position of upgrading the vehicle, wish you luck. Boat options will improve greatly though and you won't regret that!

Agreed, regarding vehicle options. Modern trucks turn me off completely. Over-complicated luxury vehicles with too many features. Even if you want all the features, the engines are just way too complicated and have been pushed to the absolute limit to wring out an extra 0.25mpg. Stop-start technology, 0w oil, high-stress / small-displacement motors amped up with big turbos and direct injection. Just more and more things to break.

If I can get 5 more years out of my old GX I'll be thrilled and I think the options willl have changed quite a bit. New electric vehicles will be way cheaper (Lightning prices are already coming down significantly), or I will be able to buy a 3-4 year old Rivian, miss the depreciation hit and get a better sense of long term reliability.

Last edited:
So, I've abandoned the truck upgrade... that was fast, eh? LOL.
I am taking the great advice here and just going with keeping our existing vehicle. If I find a boat that I really want that is longer I will buy it, have my brother tow it to a marina and moor it until I need to take it out for the Winter.

With that said. What do you all think of this Polar 2300? I really like what I see.

I am taking the great advice here and just going with keeping our existing vehicle. If I find a boat that I really want that is longer I will buy it, have my brother tow it to a marina and moor it until I need to take it out for the Winter.

With that said. What do you all think of this Polar 2300? I really like what I see.
Love it, do not be deterred by some who say it was not built here. Look at all the brands no longer around that are still being used and available.

It certainly passes the clean test. Offer, small deposit, subject to survey, mechanical, and sea trial.

That boat looks sweet!

theres a trade off with boats. bigger than 20 ft is a general pain to tow.
yes you can tow larger boats but they are a pain to launch and a pain to load. which means you will boat less often. also some lakes wont handle boats over 18 ft particularly lakes in a okanagan which are limited by trailer length to launch. which means your bigger boat cant visit them...ever.
on the other hand if your boat is bigger you can handle longer journeys and boats at 40 ft can handle ocean voyages easily. but they need to sit in a marina. so i would get an 18 footer and if you feel the need to really go offshore then consider a 40 footer addition which is parked at a marina. ive talked to people with 26-30ft boats who could not handle them. which took all the fun out of boating. try a 20 foot hard top and maybe get some sleeping bags/porta potty which is all you really need.

That polar looks great but jumping up in size can be a pain as zurk said. My Seasport is a 22 and my old Hourston was a 20. No comparison on towing or launching, Hourston was a breeze, the sea sport is a commitment, lol
For a first boat 21' max. Cheaper, easier to handle, easier to tow and easier to sell when you want to change.

buy the boat priced right with a motor budget in your pocket.
Just finance at 32 % over a 30 year mortgage 😂😂then you can tell your buddy’s you own a 1/4 million dollar boat lol , just f…. With you. But I serious note, make sure you have a oh s…. Broken down boat acc, you will need it I am 100% sure of that

Just finance at 32 % over a 30 year mortgage 😂😂then you can tell your buddy’s you own a 1/4 million dollar boat lol , just f…. With you. But I serious note, make sure you have a oh s…. Broken down boat acc, you will need it I am 100% sure of that
same rule as the gas in your boat tank - 1/3 to get you to your destination, 1/3 to get you back home and 1/3 to deal with f-ups. 😂
own, maintain, deal with 2-footitis syndrom.

Just a counter point to that thread....it seems to be primarily a saleman who was selling a competing product and wanted to "inform" people about information that he admits he didn't have firsthand experience with, rather only heard from "multiple people". And that thread was posted over 10yrs ago. I'm of the mind that if Polar boats were widely as bad as insinuated in that thread it would be much more common to see posts and info about that brand's shortcomings.

The boat that @aeroblade posted has likely been service for 15+ years so hopefully it was built well and has aged appropriately. The ad clearly shows the boat floating on a lake and states that it has fresh water use so maybe it hasn't been pounded over the swells off the West Coast. Due diligence about condition is appropriate here as always (hull survey, mechanic checkup, etc).

The trade off with boats is that you typically pay a premium price for the most well-known/well-regarded brands and hopefully get a similar premium price when selling. That does not guarantee that the boat will be without issues however. The other option is you buy a lesser-known brand at a lower price, and then likely sell at a lower price in the future (as in the case of this Polar). If that Polar 23ft walkaround was a Grady 232 Gulfstream it wouldn't be listed at $47,000...it would likely be much higher $$

I would start with a boat that is easily trailerable with a Highlander and holds resale value. Who knows what your boating needs will be in 2-3 years?

That polar looks great but jumping up in size can be a pain as zurk said. My Seasport is a 22 and my old Hourston was a 20. No comparison on towing or launching, Hourston was a breeze, the sea sport is a commitment, lol
For a first boat 21' max. Cheaper, easier to handle, easier to tow and easier to sell when you want to change.
I agree that towing and launching a larger boat is a more serious proposition. But in 20 years of towing a 600 lb 16 foot rig with a Jeep Cherokee, I ran into most of the same issues I have in 20 years with a 7700 lb 23' one. The main differences with the larger boat are

1. I can't move the boat and trailer by hand
2. I can't launch off a gravel beach or a ramp with no finger float
3. More regular maintenance is needed for the larger trailer

I can still launch and retrieve solo with the 23 -- it just needs a little more forethought. 23 was what I needed for family to sleep and cook at anchor. I started with it in the water, bought a trailer and pre-turbo F250 diesel after a couple of years, and later upgraded to an '01 Cummins 6 spd that was 10 years old and had 110k on it. Definite advantages of being trailerable - dry storage = happier boat + can launch anywhere there's a good ramp - in my case, Victoria, Renfrew, Alberni, Nootka, Quatsino, Port Hardy, etc.

If I was going to replace my tow vehicle I'd have a good look at used Dodge 1500 Eco-diesel -- 11,000 lb towing and great economy. You want to be towing with that 1/3 rule mentioned earlier -- maybe at 2/3 your max capacity or less.

Thanks, all. Sadly, I decided not to go for the Polar because I feel it will be too hard to sell. Not just because of it's size (I would have dealt with that for the benefits), but because of the negative babble about the brand. Personally, if it passed an inspection I would be all over it - but resale potential is unfortunately a key issue for me and a promise I made to my other half.

I'm bummed. It was the best suited boat for me needs and wants. It ticked all of the boxes!

I will have to focus on better known versions of that style, like Stripers and Trophys... even if they may not truly be any better. Perception is huge.

Now I'm down for the count with an all consuming cold which is also annoying as hell.

Meh.

Just a counter point to that thread....it seems to be primarily a saleman who was selling a competing product and wanted to "inform" people about information that he admits he didn't have firsthand experience with, rather only heard from "multiple people". And that thread was posted over 10yrs ago. I'm of the mind that if Polar boats were widely as bad as insinuated in that thread it would be much more common to see posts and info about that brand's shortcomings.

The boat that @aeroblade posted has likely been service for 15+ years so hopefully it was built well and has aged appropriately. The ad clearly shows the boat floating on a lake and states that it has fresh water use so maybe it hasn't been pounded over the swells off the West Coast. Due diligence about condition is appropriate here as always (hull survey, mechanic checkup, etc).

The trade off with boats is that you typically pay a premium price for the most well-known/well-regarded brands and hopefully get a similar premium price when selling. That does not guarantee that the boat will be without issues however. The other option is you buy a lesser-known brand at a lower price, and then likely sell at a lower price in the future (as in the case of this Polar). If that Polar 23ft walkaround was a Grady 232 Gulfstream it wouldn't be listed at $47,000...it would likely be much higher $$
So true. Arggh, it's so tempting to get it, but yeah, that damned resale value!!

Back