Help with buying my first boat

Wow, thank you for the excellent insight!

It will only be local for now. From Victoria's Cedar Hill to Cattle Point, likely.

If I go farther, I'll get a trailer with elected brakes... hopefully that will help.

Is the 500lb tongue weight max low?
Do you have a good buddy to launch with and retrieve every time? My friends who launch at cattle point usually have aluminums, given the lack of dock to tie to while grabbing the trailer.

Do you have a good buddy to launch with and retrieve every time? My friends who launch at cattle point usually have aluminums, given the lack of dock to tie to while grabbing the trailer.
I figure friends will start coming out of the woodwork when I get a boat. But that is a very good point! I wonder if another launch nearby is any better.

The Esquimalt Anglers launch is definitely my preference if I'm going offshore or out West, but I am looking for one to access my old stomping grounds off Oak Bay. Hmmm.

I saw that a few days ago but it didn't have a place for you to sleep so I didn't suggest it. The main might be a bit light on power but worth a test. There is a Trophy version of a similar layout for sale too but the Striper is a better package, tandem axle trailer, kicker, 4 stroke main etc. They would fit a combination purpose if you do want to cruise with the family or pull a tube etc. Kids love it up front.

Yeah, I got excited about the look and how much fun it would be for my kids. I momentarily forgot the cuddy. It is a fun looking boat, though.

I figure friends will start coming out of the woodwork when I get a boat. But that is a very good point! I wonder if another launch nearby is any better.

The Esquimalt Anglers launch is definitely my preference if I'm going offshore or out West, but I am looking for one to access my old stomping grounds off Oak Bay. Hmmm.
There nothing between Esquimalt and Sidney that has a finger float - ie. not James Bay, Cattle Pt or Island View. One of the drawbacks of going larger.

Nothing wrong with Cattle point once you get used to it.
It is hard on FG boats as the concrete is exposed in some area's.
Low tides are a bugger as trailer will drop off the end of the ramp.

Nothing wrong with Cattle point once you get used to it.
It is hard on FG boats as the concrete is exposed in some area's.
Low tides are a bugger as trailer will drop off the end of the ramp.
The second ramp is more sheltered. You just have to navigate the marked rock.

I've used Cattle Point's launch many many times, having grown up nearby and having a boat when I was young. But the suggestion of having a buddy when I launch a glass boat is a good suggestion.

It's a great place for shrimping in October, too!

I had a 2004 Campion Explorer 602. Owned it for 10 years. Was an excellent boat and took it all over the west coast.
Sooke, Bamfield, Nootka, etc. Very good in rough water and could sleep 2 of us for week of fishing. Mine had the Mercruiser 4.3L and a 8hp Yamaha HT. The outboard version is called the 602 BRA.

A beautiful ship. I would love one like that, but it's definitely far above my towing capacity 😕

I'm watching Facebook Marketplace, classifieds (used.ca for BC, and Kijiji for BC)... where else is good to watch for inventory?

Search Tempest. A collaboration of all the Craigslist sites. Other sites too but I do CL only. https://www.searchtempest.com/

Have you looked at anything yet? Do you have a surveyor and mechanic on speed dial?
I found a local surveyor, but because of the varying locations I'm discovering boats, I haven't put the list together for a surveyor or mechanic. I figure they'll have to be local after all.

Any tips?

I'm leaning towards a Campion Explorer 542. I seem to have the most selection of those. I also think it is a good blend of a fishing boat and a cruising boat for my family.

I will have the money to do move forward this week (finally). So I'm still just trying to learn as much as possible before then.

In comparison the Bayliner Trophy, is really a beautiful looking boat, but I'm not sure how to compare it to the Campion in terms of value, quality, and resale value.

I'm leaning towards a Campion Explorer 542. I seem to have the most selection of those. I also think it is a good blend of a fishing boat and a cruising boat for my family.

I will have the money to do move forward this week (finally). So I'm still just trying to learn as much as possible before then.

In comparison the Bayliner Trophy, is really a beautiful looking boat, but I'm not sure how to compare it to the Campion in terms of value, quality, and resale value.
It looks like the Trophy has 2 seats. 542 has 4 at least. That would be the main deciding factor if you are going out with your family.

Back