Help with buying my first boat

You seem to be more limited by your towing capacity than the size of your budget. How often do you think you’ll be towing the boat and for what distance? Maybe start looking into other alternatives if it’s not a long drive to the launch?? If I remember correctly, a highlander can tow up to 5,000 lbs and that includes the weight of the passengers and luggage in the car. You can easily exceed that if you have 4 adults in the car and riggers, cooler, full tank of gas, food and a pack of beer. Maybe spend some of your budget on an alternate towing vehicle if you’re planning to tow long distance.

You would be paying almost $50,000 if you paid asking price for that 1902. I’m gonna suggest that is too much money for that boat, even though the power has been updated. That’s a lot to spend for a small boat.

The 1902 series is the improved 1802 model. Little bit bigger everywhere, and I agree that they are a good boat for two people but not much more. If you’re gonna spend almost $50,000, I think you could do much better. 21 foot would be bigger all around, Striper, bigger Trophy Pro, or similar. Those walkaround style boats with a cuddy up front work quite well. They don’t have the Alaskan bulkhead with the back door you originally asked for, but they do have canvas that you can close the back in the winter and try to keep some heat in.
Thanks. I agree a bigger boat would be great, but it's the tow weight that is my greatest concern. Having a 5000lb limit sucks.

From what I've seen of the inventory out there and the quality of that boat, it's sadly pretty well priced, I thought.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's highway robbery what boats cost nowadays, I just don't know what else to do.

I spoke with the owner of the 195 and he says the new main cost him $26k, and the kicker $7k. Both are barely broken in at less than 300hrs. After that sum, it doesn't leave a lot for the cost of the hull itself and the new trailer he bought for it.

Am I that off base thinking this is a decent deal? I'm definitely willing to be wrong as I grasp this crazy market.

You seem to be more limited by your towing capacity than the size of your budget. How often do you think you’ll be towing the boat and for what distance? Maybe start looking into other alternatives if it’s not a long drive to the launch?? If I remember correctly, a highlander can tow up to 5,000 lbs and that includes the weight of the passengers and luggage in the car. You can easily exceed that if you have 4 adults in the car and riggers, cooler, full tank of gas, food and a pack of beer. Maybe spend some of your budget on an alternate towing vehicle if you’re planning to tow long distance.
You're not wrong. I'm getting nervous about our Highlander pulling even the 195 (you called that a 1902?). Apparently the 195 has a two axle trailer which generally means it's heavy.

Ugh. I'm in this to do it safely and correctly. But I'm not sure what vehicle to get that would replace our Highlander while not getting into a gas guzzler and destroying my budget for a boat.

Thanks. I agree a bigger boat would be great, but it's the tow weight that is my greatest concern. Having a 5000lb limit sucks.

From what I've seen of the inventory out there and the quality of that boat, it's sadly pretty well priced, I thought.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's highway robbery what boats cost nowadays, I just don't know what else to do.

I spoke with the owner of the 195 and he says the new main cost him $26k, and the kicker $7k. Both are barely broken in at less than 300hrs. After that sum, it doesn't leave a lot for the cost of the hull itself and the new trailer he bought for it.

Am I that off base thinking this is a decent deal? I'm definitely willing to be wrong as I grasp this crazy market.

Sellers always seem to think that they'll recoup the costs of repowering. The market says that's a 4 year old kicker and a 3 year old main, and as a buyer you're facing the unknown of use/abuse, maintenance history, etc. Look online for used engine prices to see what range is comparable.

And those costs that the owner has quoted you are all-in pricing including accessories, labour, etc. I'd be sick to my stomach to spend $7,000 to put a kicker on a small boat like that. Look here to see the purchase price for a BRAND NEW Mercury ProKicker:

The main engine is a Mercury SeaPro line. Commercial line. For a used-boat purchase it is comparable to a used lease-return motor.
EDIT: Here's a NEW SeaPro 150 for sale for $20,000 plus tax:

Last edited:
Sellers always seem to think that they'll recoup the costs of repowering. The market says that's a 4 year old kicker and a 3 year old main, and as a buyer you're facing the unknown of use/abuse, maintenance history, etc. Look online for used engine prices to see what range is comparable.

And those costs that the owner has quoted you are all-in pricing including accessories, labour, etc. I'd be sick to my stomach to spend $7,000 to put a kicker on a small boat like that. Look here to see the purchase price for a BRAND NEW Mercury ProKicker:

The main engine is a Mercury SeaPro line. Commercial line. For a used-boat purchase it is comparable to a used lease-return motor.

I was going to say the same thing. You could pay half that to buy used engines with two years warranty left on them and three years of abuse.

If it were me I wouldn't be limited on just a trophy. The cuddy on those are fairly small unless your going bigger.

At a budget of 60k you can get into some nicer boats that offer better.

I would cap the max boat size at 18-19' unless you upgrade your tow vehicle.
A buddy of mine tried towing a 24' with a Tacoma, he did it twice before upgrading
to a Tundra.
Scary having too much weight behind an inadeqate truck.

Thank you for making that extra clear for me. Great points.

I had a 2004 Campion Explorer 602. Owned it for 10 years. Was an excellent boat and took it all over the west coast.
Sooke, Bamfield, Nootka, etc. Very good in rough water and could sleep 2 of us for week of fishing. Mine had the Mercruiser 4.3L and a 8hp Yamaha HT. The outboard version is called the 602 BRA.

I had a 2004 Campion Explorer 602. Owned it for 10 years. Was an excellent boat and took it all over the west coast.
Sooke, Bamfield, Nootka, etc. Very good in rough water and could sleep 2 of us for week of fishing. Mine had the Mercruiser 4.3L and a 8hp Yamaha HT. The outboard version is called the 602 BRA.

Thanks! I appreciate the notes.
What do you think of this one - assuming the stringers and transom are in great shape. Oh, and I realize it will need to be repowered soonish. https://www.sherwoodmarine.com/Pre-...-622-Sherwood-Marine-Centre-15455276?ref=list

just a thought, how often are you using it? where are you towing it to? where are you storing it. U-haul or truck rental is very cheap compared to owning, maintaining etc of a full sized truck. 2-3k in rentals per year can go a long way. what about friend arrangements? trade vehicles for the time and pay back with fishing and boat trips. just spit balling here.. my buddy also keeps his boat in the water moored because it is cheaper than owning a truck. then when he does trips, the buddies split truck rentals or use theirs.

just a thought, how often are you using it? where are you towing it to? where are you storing it. U-haul or truck rental is very cheap compared to owning, maintaining etc of a full sized truck. 2-3k in rentals per year can go a long way. what about friend arrangements? trade vehicles for the time and pay back with fishing and boat trips. just spit balling here.. my buddy also keeps his boat in the water moored because it is cheaper than owning a truck. then when he does trips, the buddies split truck rentals or use theirs.
It's a thought.

In so far as a rental, it would be a pain because I want to be able to take out the boat on the fly. For longer trips, that would be totally doable.

I would seriously love to moor, but aside from the cost of moorage ($300 or so per mo), it would be hard on the boat I think. It definitely seems to take a toll.

As for storing it, I plan on buying a proper shelter for the side of my house to put it in. I'm going to baby the F out of this beauty so it is kept in great shape.

Food for my thoughts, for sure. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Was never big on the center console myself. 2 Stroke main too.
2 Reel fishing charters in Sooke has run 2 of 622 for years. Seen them in all kinds of weather out there.

I'm not a huge fan of center console either, mainly because I want protection from the elements - but these seem to do a pretty good job of that with the bimini. Thanks for showing the 622 in use professionally - definitely a good sign!

Where do you live and how far do you want to tow?
The trailer for the 622 looks a little light. Usually a single axle is good for 3500 pounds. If you have that loaded for a fishing trip is going to be more than 3500. My 602 had a dual axle trailer and it was close to 5000 pounds in fishing trip mode.

I’d dig pretty deep on your highlanders towing capacity, when I was looking at them only 1 in 10 were rated for max towing.

If you are looking at base prices for engines it doesn’t include cables, controls and often props. Same for boats, they don’t include things like a windlass, electronics etc that often cost 5-10k for dealers to add. I got a quote on a 150 merc and the dealer wanted 15k for cables, controls, prop and install.

This seems like a lot of boat with seating for what looks like 4 undercover. If it’s a well maintained boat and trailer with good power it is worth quite a bit. He lowered the price once, maybe he would be willing to take an offer in the low 40’s.

It's a thought.

In so far as a rental, it would be a pain because I want to be able to take out the boat on the fly. For longer trips, that would be totally doable.

I would seriously love to moor, but aside from the cost of moorage ($300 or so per mo), it would be hard on the boat I think. It definitely seems to take a toll.

As for storing it, I plan on buying a proper shelter for the side of my house to put it in. I'm going to baby the F out of this beauty so it is kept in great shape.

Food for my thoughts, for sure. Thanks :)
I tow a 23 Hourston, which is 7700 lbs on a trailer -- only towable with a full-size truck. But the good news is that a 3/4 ton diesel gets the same fuel economy my Jeep Cherokee did. A 1/2 ton diesel will do even better -- more like my wife's Forester. With a quad cab, you'll have decent seating and up to 11,000 lbs towing.

Mooring will definitely increase maintenance - stuff sits at 100% humidity a lot. After my rebuild 18 years ago, I put a shelter over my boat, and other than a light dusting in spring, the boat is turnkey without mildew or unhappy electricals.

I don't think 20' Hourstons have been mentioned - a few have come up on the used boats thread, and some have Alaska bulkheads as well as a cuddy -- not sure about the bunk length -- very good sea boats, but definitely need to check condition carefully. SalmonKiller had one, since sold, and said it weighed 6200 with all gear and trailer.

This one was $34000 and is sold but you get the idea - lots of pics in the ad, which is still there:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/815564393415183/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:dc9d6ad1-db54-4563-83df-cd2092be8028

1716923232714.png

Last edited:

Completely agree, with you, seller always oh I just spent 20 on this and 5 on that and 3 on that, oh well price of owning a boat, doesn’t mean your boat is worth what you want for it, hell @Rain City commander should of fetch half a million 😂😂😂. At the end it’s all about how much the buyers are willing to pay

Completely agree, with you, seller always oh I just spent 20 on this and 5 on that and 3 on that, oh well price of owning a boat, doesn’t mean your boat is worth what you want for it, hell @Rain City commander should of fetch half a million 😂😂😂. At the end it’s all about how much the buyers are willing to pay
I spent 40k in the last 3 months of ownership and sold it for exactly what it would have sold for before finding that last issue. Boats are ticking time bombs

Back