Help with buying my first boat

I’d dig pretty deep on your highlanders towing capacity, when I was looking at them only 1 in 10 were rated for max towing.

If you are looking at base prices for engines it doesn’t include cables, controls and often props. Same for boats, they don’t include things like a windlass, electronics etc that often cost 5-10k for dealers to add. I got a quote on a 150 merc and the dealer wanted 15k for cables, controls, prop and install.

This seems like a lot of boat with seating for what looks like 4 undercover. If it’s a well maintained boat and trailer with good power it is worth quite a bit. He lowered the price once, maybe he would be willing to take an offer in the low 40’s.
You need to change dealers lol

Yeah, their motor at "cost" deal being advertised on facebook didn't look so good on paper. I'm interested in what you end up with. I'm tempted to throw a 200 Honda on my boat some day, just to keep my kicker and controls.
DTS controls + cables and digital gauge and prop install including my hydro fit cost 6300$ and change, and the plug for rotation

Its been mentioned, but worth reiterating: make sure you are 100% confident that your Highlander has the tow package. If not, you likely have 3500lbs capacity rather than the full 5000lbs.

If you are doing anything more than local tows, you should plan on changing the transmission fluid more often and baby it up steep grades. Once the transmission fluid overheats - the fluid is cooked and loses many of its properties. If the transmission overheat temp warning goes off, let it cool down and then make a point of taking it into the shop soon after and get the fluid changed. Best thing you can have for a tow vehicle is an oversized transmission cooler. The supposed 'lifetime' transmission fluid is a cruel joke that just gets the manufacturer through the warranty period, but bites the vehicle owner when the transmission goes at 150k. Change trans fluids every 50-70k and it will last forever (not at a jiffy lube, but a proper transmission shop)

Likewise, if you are buying a used trailer have the brake setup checked over - I've seen trailers where the brakes were capped off after they seized up ages ago.

I’d dig pretty deep on your highlanders towing capacity, when I was looking at them only 1 in 10 were rated for max towing.

If you are looking at base prices for engines it doesn’t include cables, controls and often props. Same for boats, they don’t include things like a windlass, electronics etc that often cost 5-10k for dealers to add. I got a quote on a 150 merc and the dealer wanted 15k for cables, controls, prop and install.

This seems like a lot of boat with seating for what looks like 4 undercover. If it’s a well maintained boat and trailer with good power it is worth quite a bit. He lowered the price once, maybe he would be willing to take an offer in the low 40’s.
I looked into the Highlander and it definitely is rigged for 5000lb towing. Even went as far as checking for the right fuses. All good. 😊

As for the engines, I had no idea I couldn't use the same cabling from one engine to another. Do they always require rewiring?

The guy with the Trophy you reviewed may not go down much, but I'd definitely work on him to drop it 5k. I felt really good about the guy and his care of the boat, but I'll still get it inspected and such before I make the trip to visit him on the mainland.

There's a good chance it will be sold tomorrow to another guy visiting from the island, but who knows.

Great notes, thanks!

Its been mentioned, but worth reiterating: make sure you are 100% confident that your Highlander has the tow package. If not, you likely have 3500lbs capacity rather than the full 5000lbs.

If you are doing anything more than local tows, you should plan on changing the transmission fluid more often and baby it up steep grades. Once the transmission fluid overheats - the fluid is cooked and loses many of its properties. If the transmission overheat temp warning goes off, let it cool down and then make a point of taking it into the shop soon after and get the fluid changed. Best thing you can have for a tow vehicle is an oversized transmission cooler. The supposed 'lifetime' transmission fluid is a cruel joke that just gets the manufacturer through the warranty period, but bites the vehicle owner when the transmission goes at 150k. Change trans fluids every 50-70k and it will last forever (not at a jiffy lube, but a proper transmission shop)

Likewise, if you are buying a used trailer have the brake setup checked over - I've seen trailers where the brakes were capped off after they seized up ages ago.
Thanks! I definitely confirmed the 5000lb capacity. I figure I'll be damned close to 5000lbs on anything like a Trophy 1902 or any non aluminum in the 19-20 range.

I'm considering a trade in for a different vehicle, but that's giving me the shakes... everything is too damned expensive nowadays!

I looked into the Highlander and it definitely is rigged for 5000lb towing. Even went as far as checking for the right fuses. All good. 😊

As for the engines, I had no idea I couldn't use the same cabling from one engine to another. Do they always require rewiring?

The guy with the Trophy you reviewed may not go down much, but I'd definitely work on him to drop it 5k. I felt really good about the guy and his care of the boat, but I'll still get it inspected and such before I make the trip to visit him on the mainland.

There's a good chance it will be sold tomorrow to another guy visiting from the island, but who knows.

Great notes, thanks!
If controls and cables are 15 years or older in a salt water environment it may be worth doing or may have to be done depending if the upgrade is to new technology. If it’s 25 years old count on redoing the steering as well. Old engines were all mechanical now many bigger ones are fly by wire or require some new brand specific controls and cables.

Always look for cracks in cables and hoses, but just remember stuff only last so long in the sun and salt!

UPDATE: I'm now reconsidering this boat. Not for any reason other than it would be very hard to resell when the time came. I hadn't considered that. No need to comment on this now... I figured it best to leave this here than delete it.

ORIGINAL POST:
What do you guys think of this 2014 Atomix HT?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/673553606108786/permalink/3012084885588968/
If you need to be a part of the group to see the info, I included the photos here.

This isn't currently my top choice, but it is being considered. My top choice is probably the nearly untouched 2019 Campion 542, unless I find it reasonable to upgrade my vehicle too (gives me gut clench to think of the extra costs though).

Anyway, I spoke with the owner and I know I can decrease the price a bunch.

I have been impressed with the history of the product (it's huge in Australia with a great reputation) and seems brilliantly designed. Here's a written review of this model in 2012: https://www.tradeaboat.com.au/news-reviews/10117-atomix-600-hardtop-fisherman-review and a review of the soft top model here

Note: "The Atomix is a massed produced boat built in China but before you start to lose interest it is also one of the best-finished boats I have seen in a long while. It rides well, handles all types of conditions and it is dry. It is also extremely well priced with ready to go packages starting at $54,99. And if you are still worried about the fact it is built in China it also comes with a 10-year structural guarantee on the hull."
Obviously, the warranty means nothing here and for an out-of-warranty boat, but I think it says a lot that it offered it.

I'm curious and don't want to dismiss it out of hand because it's not local. Thoughts?

Attachments

• atomix-side_n.jpg
    atomix-side_n.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 32
  • atomix-cuddy_n.jpg
    atomix-cuddy_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 31
  • atomix-helm_n.jpg
    atomix-helm_n.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 27
  • atomix-bimini_n.jpg
    atomix-bimini_n.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 29
  • atomix-rear-view_n.jpg
    atomix-rear-view_n.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 30
  • atomix-drive-rearview_n.jpg
    atomix-drive-rearview_n.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Atomix Data_n.jpg
    Atomix Data_n.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
this would be harder to resell, just my honest opinion., offshore boats don't belong offshore.
some of them sure look nice and i will give it that. , is it TC/CG approved? insurable? i would like to get on one first and really check the hardware, wiring and fitments of every piece of it.

UPDATE: I'm now reconsidering this boat. Not for any reason other than it would be very hard to resell when the time came. I hadn't considered that. No need to comment on this now... I figured it best to leave this here than delete it.

ORIGINAL POST:
What do you guys think of this 2014 Atomix HT?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/673553606108786/permalink/3012084885588968/
If you need to be a part of the group to see the info, I included the photos here.

This isn't currently my top choice, but it is being considered. My top choice is probably the nearly untouched 2019 Campion 542, unless I find it reasonable to upgrade my vehicle too (gives me gut clench to think of the extra costs though).

Anyway, I spoke with the owner and I know I can decrease the price a bunch.

I have been impressed with the history of the product (it's huge in Australia with a great reputation) and seems brilliantly designed. Here's a written review of this model in 2012: https://www.tradeaboat.com.au/news-reviews/10117-atomix-600-hardtop-fisherman-review and a review of the soft top model here

Note: "The Atomix is a massed produced boat built in China but before you start to lose interest it is also one of the best-finished boats I have seen in a long while. It rides well, handles all types of conditions and it is dry. It is also extremely well priced with ready to go packages starting at $54,99. And if you are still worried about the fact it is built in China it also comes with a 10-year structural guarantee on the hull."
Obviously, the warranty means nothing here and for an out-of-warranty boat, but I think it says a lot that it offered it.

I'm curious and don't want to dismiss it out of hand because it's not local. Thoughts?
The link didn't work for me but I've seen it for sale. The big issues are resale and local support knowledge. If you buy a Hourston or Campion (which may be out of business?) there are lots of people with knowledge of the boat, how to fix it and interest when it is listed for sale. The opposite is true for internationally manufactured boats without real following or support. Two aluminum Chinese boats have been for sale for over 12 months and the only reason they aren't selling is because they aren't kingfishers.

I love the concept of a hard top, but until you take it for a sea trail yourself, be tough to say if it's the boat for you.

A much more affordable campion until 2 footitis hits and you need to buy a big tow vehicle.

The link didn't work for me but I've seen it for sale. The big issues are resale and local support knowledge. If you buy a Hourston or Campion (which may be out of business?) there are lots of people with knowledge of the boat, how to fix it and interest when it is listed for sale. The opposite is true for internationally manufactured boats without real following or support. Two aluminum Chinese boats have been for sale for over 12 months and the only reason they aren't selling is because they aren't kingfishers.

I love the concept of a hard top, but until you take it for a sea trail yourself, be tough to say if it's the boat for you.

A much more affordable campion until 2 footitis hits and you need to buy a big tow vehicle.

Thanks. I saw that Campion, but I was a bit disgusted by the placement of the two throttles at the helm. It gave the impression of some very DIY work gone bad.

That, and the engine has a lot of hours at 800, doesn't it?

Thanks. I saw that Campion, but I was a bit disgusted by the placement of the two throttles at the helm. It gave the impression of some very DIY work gone bad.

That, and the engine has a lot of hours at 800, doesn't it?
I always figure as soon as an outboard is off warranty all that matters is how well it has been maintained. I would want at least 800 hours on an engine of that age, at least it has been ran most years and hopefully the legs been off a couple of times. I'd ask when the last time the impellor was done, and has the harmonic ballencer been done. You can always use it as a negotiating point on the newer one....

Back