Help with buying my first boat

I would hope you get a few seasons out of her If you fish and troll on the kicker you might put 100 hours a year on the main.
Use mercury quick kleen regularily. Mercs love it
I hope so too, but I realize that may be a pipe dream.

The current guy uses salt-away after every use on the 2014 main. I'll look into the Merc solution.

I hope so too, but I realize that may be a pipe dream.

The current guy uses salt-away after every use on the 2014 main. I'll look into the Merc solution.
Quick kleen is a fuel additive. Salt away keeps her clean inside, great thing about mercs is they good metals for their engines and have not had rot issues. Normal to get 2-3000 hours out of these engines.

The mechanical went well. It ran without issue and all of the boxes on the test were good.

Even at that, I suppose hoping to get a straight answer on a 1500 hour engine is pointless?

Heh, here is my pointed question to the mechanic's boss that sent me the report:

Me: Overall, does this seem like a good test for the verado? I realize it's dated, but did it (overall) seem to be in great shape and ready to go for many more hours?

Rep: Verado was Mercury’s main line for 14 years. Tech saw no outlying issues, visible leaks with any rotten parts that have salt water going thru them, etc….

... I think the head mechanic moonlights as a politician.
----
Sounds like the mechanical gave you a 100% clear and honest assessment. Tell me if he runs for office - I'd vote for him.

Buying an old boat is a life lesson in risk & uncertainty, and this mechanic is doing you a service by not making any false promises that its all going to be 'ok'. There are lots of shady dealers out there that would have no problem over-promising, or would be happy to sell you an aftermarket warranty that is largely worthless.

Developing your ability to do due diligence and manage/value risk is a key life skill. Do your homework, negotiate by putting a monetary value on the risk you are taking, and have a backup plan (that you can live with) in case it all goes sideways.

----
Sounds like the mechanical gave you a 100% clear and honest assessment. Tell me if he runs for office - I'd vote for him.

Buying an old boat is a life lesson in risk & uncertainty, and this mechanic is doing you a service by not making any false promises that its all going to be 'ok'. There are lots of shady dealers out there that would have no problem over-promising, or would be happy to sell you an aftermarket warranty that is largely worthless.

Developing your ability to do due diligence and manage/value risk is a key life skill. Do your homework, negotiate by putting a monetary value on the risk you are taking, and have a backup plan (that you can live with) in case it all goes sideways.
Agreed, thanks. I definitely hoped for a better reply, but I knew it wasn't coming 😝

And still no buyers for your gem of a 18’er eh?
lol. i need to repost the advert and add the catamaran to another advert as well. 18 footer has now gone fully lithium and added 2 electric motors to the gas engine. everything i own is always up for sale to the right buyer at the right price. haha.

Last edited:
Pretty decent value here main motors a bit older probably can get a few seasons out of it newer kicker no bottom paint and looks like he’s open to offers very nice trailer I think it’s priced right.

The mechanical went well. It ran without issue and all of the boxes on the test were good.

Even at that, I suppose hoping to get a straight answer on a 1500 hour engine is pointless?

Heh, here is my pointed question to the mechanic's boss that sent me the report:

Me: Overall, does this seem like a good test for the verado? I realize it's dated, but did it (overall) seem to be in great shape and ready to go for many more hours?

Rep: Verado was Mercury’s main line for 14 years. Tech saw no outlying issues, visible leaks with any rotten parts that have salt water going thru them, etc….

... I think the head mechanic moonlights as a politician.
All the best with the new purchase! Used anything, but used boats in particular, will give you some surprises. Some will be good, hopefully those that aren't will be mostly minor. You've done it right so far and have reduced risk by all reasonable means. Give the boat and its mechanical systems all the care and maintenance you can, and enjoy the ride. You'll learn some stuff by doing as much of it yourself as possible. Buy factory service manuals for both outboards and buy genuine OEM parts.

Nice acquisition! Do you happen to know what the length is from the tip of the pulpit to the back of the tilted up motors. Wondering how big a slip the 21 conquest needs.

Nice acquisition! Do you happen to know what the length is from the tip of the pulpit to the back of the tilted up motors. Wondering how big a slip the 21 conquest needs.
Hey Buddha, Thank you! I am very happy with it so far.

I actually would love to know the full length, too! I don't know if they have come down to check from the moorage office, but I meant to check myself. I'll intend to find out this weekend. I'll let you know :)

Back