Help with buying my first boat

this would be harder to resell, just my honest opinion., offshore boats don't belong offshore.
some of them sure look nice and i will give it that. , is it TC/CG approved? insurable? i would like to get on one first and really check the hardware, wiring and fitments of every piece of it.
My neighbour owns a welded Chinese boat, he imports and sell them, I was surprised of the quality of the welds, as good as any KF out there , never seen underneath the floors and stuff but he takes it out all the time and beats the **** out of it, seem to old up well,most parts on local boats are from china unfortunately

My neighbour owns a welded Chinese boat, he imports and sell them, I was surprised of the quality of the welds, as good as any KF out there , never seen underneath the floors and stuff but he takes it out all the time and beats the **** out of it, seem to old up well,most parts on local boats are from china unfortunately
are they "properly" insurable? CG and TC ? can they be?

are they "properly" insurable? CG and TC ? can they be?
Not sure, I can ask, he’s got 2 coming in shipping containers, in a few months he wants me to pull them out of the container at my yard and put them on trailers, I will ask

You might actually be too tall for these boats. Be sure to look around at the horizon and water when in the cabin to see if you like the view.

Not sure, I can ask, he’s got 2 coming in shipping containers, in a few months he wants me to pull them out of the container at my yard and put them on trailers, I will ask
i am asking as a good bud is having some awesome alu boats made offshore also. i will post up some pics. ODEN boats.
maybe one would work for the OP. my concern with his too. are they approved...insurable.. well properly insurable.

Not sure how heavy these are to tow. New main. Looks clean.
Another option,

If you can find a Livingston Viking like this guy ^ I had one and it did everything well, nice platform... wish it had self bailing deck though.

Haha ya I had one too. Great boat. Mine was self bailing
Honestly wish I kept it, such a classic. I had a 150 2 stroke on it and pushed 50mph on the GPS. Stability in a choppy sea and lots of room. Biggest 19 foot boat there is.

little pricey for the age, but these things are great
Looks like a good deal. Only thing is it’s more of a walk around style. The conventional Livingston Viking cuddy was good for my bro a little over 6 feet and his wife.

What do you guys think of this 2006 Seaswirl Striper 1851dc?

I'll be 50/50 fishing & cruising.

I saw that a few days ago but it didn't have a place for you to sleep so I didn't suggest it. The main might be a bit light on power but worth a test. There is a Trophy version of a similar layout for sale too but the Striper is a better package, tandem axle trailer, kicker, 4 stroke main etc. They would fit a combination purpose if you do want to cruise with the family or pull a tube etc. Kids love it up front.

Last edited:
Note about the towing rig: I often tow our boat (stabicraft 2050) with our 2016 Highlander (tow package, 5000lb cap). Limited to local hauls. I have access to 3/4 & 1 ton trucks through my work, but find the Highlander tows like a dream, and fits my family nice (don't need to move car seats and clean my work truck). Notes; power is not the problem. Its got plenty of that. Its the payload & braking. Payload is very low -I believe it's a 500lb max tongue weight (watch your passengers and cargo). Also, braking is a big concern. I would be very careful if lots of hills are in the picture. I have no idea on your trailer experience , but ensure you have good trailer brakes, and always slow it way down before you get to the hill. If you're planning on doing a bunch of towing, especially out of town I'd consider upgrading the tow rig, you should be good if it's mostly local or flat hauls.

Last edited:
Another off-topic towing rig post: I often tow our boat (stabicraft 2050) with our 2016 Highlander (tow package, 5000lb cap). Limited to local hauls. I have access to 3/4 & 1 ton trucks through my work, but find the Highlander tows like a dream, and fits my family nice (don't need to move car seats and clean my work truck). Notes; power is not the problem. Its got plenty of that. Its the payload & braking. Payload is very low -I believe it's a 500lb max tongue weight (watch your passengers and cargo). Also, braking is a big concern. I would be very careful if lots of hills are in the picture. I have no idea on your trailer experience , but ensure you have good trailer brakes, and always slow it way down before you get to the hill. If you're planning on doing a bunch of towing, especially out of town I'd consider upgrading the tow rig, you should be good if it's mostly local or flat hauls.
Wow, thank you for the excellent insight!

It will only be local for now. From Victoria's Cedar Hill to Cattle Point, likely.

If I go farther, I'll get a trailer with elected brakes... hopefully that will help.

Is the 500lb tongue weight max low?

Wow, thank you for the excellent insight!

It will only be local for now. From Victoria's Cedar Hill to Cattle Point, likely.

If I go farther, I'll get a trailer with elected brakes... hopefully that will help.

Is the 500lb tongue weight max low?

The 500lb tongue weight is the max tow kit. The total payload capacity of the Highlander is 1455lbs. Payload would include aftermarket accessories, luggage, passengers... So if your trailer is maxing out the tongue weight, be mindful of the load in the SUV. Surge brakes have worked well for me to date. Just ensure the trailer has functional brakes of some sort. Steep, slick ramps can also get a bit scary with light tow vehicles. Keep things slow and controlled.

Back