Help with buying my first boat

It looks like the Trophy has 2 seats. 542 has 4 at least. That would be the main deciding factor if you are going out with your family.
Agreed. I asked for photos of the rear seats that aren't currently in place. Fingers crossed they have them. If not, I'd have to have them made.

How important is it to stay away from E-Tec engines now? I know they don't make them anymore, but two great boats include fairly new versions of them. Should I avoid them like the plague???

How important is it to stay away from E-Tec engines now? I know they don't make them anymore, but two great boats include fairly new versions of them. Should I avoid them like the plague???
I would! I used to have one on a lake boat. Still feel bad for the guy who bought that boat.
You have a decent budget. Why not just buying a boat with 4-stroke EFI motor?

Last edited:
Its important to stay away from them if you don't have a local mechanic that can work on it. A modern e-tec uses completely different tech from most 4-strokes. 2-stroke / direct injection technology is different enough that you can't take it to a mechanic without experience.

Usually the ex-Evinrude dealers are still around and have mechanics familiar with the engines, and still have all the old diagnostic software, and access to all the parts. Keep in mind - Evinrude / BRP didn't go broke - they just stopped selling new motors. You can still get factory BRP parts and the warranties are all still valid. My Etec is a 2019, and had a factory extended warranty. I talked to the local dealer here in Vancouver, and they still honor it. Etecs tend to be really polarizing because a few models got a terrible reputation - also, BRP's sudden exit from the market in 2020 took a lot of etec owners buy surprise and burned a lot of bridges. That said, some models seem to have a fine reputation - If you see a boat with evinrude power, definitely research that specific model before writing it off.

I've got a 2019 135HO (2.6L V6 model), and no real red flags came up when I searched the model, and the maintenance history was solid. I definitely got a bit of a discount on the boat versus, say if it were running an equivalent Merc, Zuk or Yam. Finger's crossed, all good so far. Anyway, once you've driven an etec it can be hard to go back. They just put out so much torque, its hard to compare to anything in that same hp class. My 135HO puts out a ton of low end torque, and gets up/out of the water instantly. At 3000rpm the motor is putting out peak torque @ 200ft/lbs, which is more peak torque than a 200hp Yamaha or Suzuki going flat out. They punch way above their weight, especially at low-mid range rpms.

I think the AB models have a decent rep. This is the 2.6L V6 (Etec / G1) and encompasses the 135HO, 150hp, 175hp, & 200hp model range - very common. Evinrude's model designation is bit annoying and can make it hard to know exactly what you are looking at.

Last edited:
buy the boat priced right with a motor budget in your pocket.

Well guys. I might have a delay in getting my boat. We have decided to upgrade our Highlander to something with a greater towing capacity (at least that's where we're leaning)... so now I have to get into THAT learning curve. Sigh.

It will open up a world of more boat options, though! <3

I just need to find something (not new!) with great fuel economy that can has 6000lbs+ towing capacity (hopefully 7500) and uses a V6... we don't want a guzzler. Easy, right?

Any suggestions on that?

Well guys. I might have a delay in getting my boat. We have decided to upgrade our Highlander to something with a greater towing capacity (at least that's where we're leaning)... so now I have to get into THAT learning curve. Sigh.

I just need to find something (not new!) with great fuel economy that can has 6000lbs+ towing capacity (hopefully 7500) and uses a V6... we don't want a guzzler. Easy, right?

Any suggestions on that?
Ford Ranger 2.3 Ecoboost
Sit back and let us spend your money!

Any suggestions on that?
Are you related to anyone on this site?

Any suggestions on that?
A company truck at work is a f150 with the 2.7 eco boost and it’s been very good on gas. And no issues after 3 years or so. A couple recalls though.

My pops has the new tundra twin turbo v6 and I just read that there is a recall for that engine. Might be a whole new engine required. But Toyota stands behind their product like they have in the past

A company truck at work is a f150 with the 2.7 eco boost and it’s been very good on gas. And no issues after 3 years or so. A couple recalls though.

My pops has the new tundra twin turbo v6 and I just read that there is a recall for that engine. Might be a whole new engine required. But Toyota stands behind their product like they have in the past
Like most new engine designs Toyota has to go through some growing pains with that one. Hopefully your dad's is sorted out.

Don't do it. I don't want to give anyone financial advice, but a newish $50k boat is expensive enough without adding a new vehicle on top. If the Highlander can tow what you want, then it can tow - don't fall prey to the idea that you have to reorder your financial life so that you can tow a boat (you don't currently have) - for a long distance tow (that you may only ever do once or twice). If the Highlander is fine 99% of the time, then you should thing really hard about whether that 1% is really that important.

Anyway... I'm probably not the best to give advice on this since I bought a truck to tow my boat. 20 year old GX470 - 6500lbs tow capacity with air suspension and the most reliable engine Toyota ever built. The only way I can justify it is that it cost me less than a new Toyota Corolla, I commute to work by transit, the truck is now our only vehicle and is mainly used for weekends/pleasure.

Last edited:
Don't do it. I don't want to give anyone financial advice, but a newish $50k boat is expensive enough without adding a new vehicle on top. If the Highlander can tow what you want, then it can tow - don't fall prey to the idea that you have to reorder your financial life so that you can tow a boat (you don't currently have) - for a long distance tow (that you may only ever do once or twice). If the Highlander is fine 99% of the time, then you should thing really hard about whether that 1% is really that important.

Anyway... I'm probably not the best to give advice on this since I bought a truck to tow my boat. 20 year old GX470 - 6500lbs tow capacity with air suspension and the most reliable engine Toyota ever built. The only way I can justify it is that I commute to work by transit and the truck is mainly used for weekends/pleasure.
I hear ya. We're not excited about more dollars, but our 2008 Highlander Limited is approaching 200k: issues are beginning to crop up. So, we figure it is a convenient time with the added benefit of making towing safer.

I hear ya. We're not excited about more dollars, but our 2008 Highlander Limited is approaching 200k: issues are beginning to crop up. So, we figure it is a convenient time with the added benefit of making towing safer.
A member moved from a Tundra to a hybrid Mazda SUV. Might be worth looking into that scenario if you’re not interested in a pickup. Again, a 4000lbs boat with trailer breaks may not need a big towing rig if you’re planning to drive short distance.

Just be clear eyed about the cost. I suspect you are probably in my age group (40ish). I'm ok spending money on my boat, but I keep a close eye on my retirement savings. You aren't just spending the money, you are giving up all the gains of investing that money for your retirement: $20k today is $65-80k in 25 years.

If anything, an old tow vehicle is great - you don't need to worry as much about dipping it in the water or burning up the transmission. A 200k Highlander isn't worth a lot on the resale market, but its functional value is huge. Ride that truck into the ground and get every dollar out of it.

The space between 200k and 300k on your odometer is the gravy where you save the most money. It will cost you a few bucks in the shop, but it more than covers the savings on delaying purchase of a new vehicle.

Ford Ranger 2.3 Ecoboost
Sit back and let us spend your money!

No way...don't do the Ranger. The cabin is tiny...your family will be cramped especially compared to that Highlander.

If you want something that pulls a bigger boat safely and isn't a total gas hog look at F150s with the 2.7L EcoBoost or the GMC Sierra with the baby Duramax diesel.

But besides that...I agree with @Max123 Go buy a Campion 542 or that Trophy 1802 and see how you like boating. Chances are you'll find yourself wanting a different boat in a few years once you get some experience and develop preferences. Almost nobody gets their forever boat on the first try!

When I bought my boat, the vehicle would not come close to towing it, so I made sure I had a place to keep it at a marina. It started with surface storage at BBCM, then I got a water spot. I keep my boat in the water 11 months of the year, and when it has to come out I have a few fishing buddies to choose from to hook up to the trailer, and pay them with a free trip. Since then there has only been a few times I thought about a bigger vehicle, but I have not done it. Happy about it too.

Buy the boat. The salmon are here.

Back