Gulf Islands 2013

Looks like a clear day for tomorrow with light winds. I'll be heading to Galiano from Vancouver, bright and early. I'm sure I'll see some of you out there. Let's hope we pull in more than the one than came on board last week.

"Angelina Summer"
Bayliner 192

i know ive asked alot about fishing ahha but does anyone know where to fish at tnt island for winters?? and how deep thank you

ooooooooooh ISLANDER55....

Your questions haven't been about fishing. Your questions have been about how best to be lazy
. As a young guy, I would think that you would be itching to get out on the water as it SEEMS to be something you enjoy. But you just ask and ask, day after day week after week. Did you try to catch any fish with the information you are given? I don't think so, and if you did, you aren't willing to return the favour many have so kindly granted you, which is local information on the areas you are (supposedly) fishing.

No body is going to offer you any information if you keep this up. You should have noticed the little information you are being given already. There is many many threads about winter spring fishing. If you would take half the time you spend begging for info, and instead do some research, you would have all the info and your friends would be SUPER impressed.

All of that being said, here is what you have been asking for many times.

Winter Springs
= around tent island (or anywhere) for that matter....
-these fish are hungry. They spend their time searching for food through the winter. Present them with something to bite, and they will (if they are where you are fishing)
-since they are always looking for food, they are moving constantly. The ocean is always moving. Pushing bait and fish in the direction of the current and flow.
-the majority of these fish are ON THE BOTTOM. you will have best luck in 120-220 feet of water. You want your downrigger ball and tackle ON THE BOTTOM. Not necessarily dragging through the mud (though some do) but just off the bottom, making occasional contact with the mud.
-keep an eye on your depths. Fishing this close to the bottom, it is very easy to hook up your downrigger ball and snap it off.
-TO FIND THE FISH, you have to GO FISHING! They may be beside Tent Isl. one day, and maybe not the next. IT IS UP TO YOU TO FIND THEM!!

LEADERS AND LURES:

-small small small!! Your lures should be small hoochies, small spoons (3") or small bait. The bait in the ocean at this time of year is not big so you want to match what size bait the fish are using. Lures 3.5" and smaller is a good choice. You said you had coho killers. These are great lures for winter springs. Choose one with green, purple, glow, silver, or a mixture of the bunch. The fish aren't so hung up on colour, but presentation.

-Spoons=6ft leader is fine but I would shorten it up to 5 feet personally. 25lb test for your leader.
-Hoochies=3ft or SHORTER for leader (even 18" is good). You MUST fish these with a flasher. The flasher is what gives the hoochie its action. Use a heavy test, 40lb for your leader. This line is stiffer because it is thicker, and it tosses and whips the hoochie around much better than 25lb test mono.
-Bait=6 feet

Hopefully you take this info and come back with a report. Even if you DON'T catch fish, we would like to hear about your efforts. Where did you fish, what did you use, how deep did you try. You will be surprised with the results if you put in the effort.

Be safe, have fun, and Tight Lines.

-FB-

The kid is supposed to be 17, why hasn't someone offered to take him out.
He's too young to drink your beer and he might even learn something.

Was out at tent this morning. First time fishing it with my new sounder/gps and I didn't lose any gear this time!! Some of the reefs can be quite sneaky. I did not catch any fish however we never found the bait until just before we had to pull up lines. Was a little nervous about throwing the gear right onto the bottom and maybe that's why didn't hook into anything. Was pulling a key lime hootchie and irish cream coho killer. Purple onion and green glow flashers. There were about 5 or 6 boats out there today and an unreasonable amount of prawn traps considering they are closed until March 31.

Was out at tent this morning. First time fishing it with my new sounder/gps and I didn't lose any gear this time!! Some of the reefs can be quite sneaky. I did not catch any fish however we never found the bait until just before we had to pull up lines. Was a little nervous about throwing the gear right onto the bottom and maybe that's why didn't hook into anything. Was pulling a key lime hootchie and irish cream coho killer. Purple onion and green glow flashers. There were about 5 or 6 boats out there today and an unreasonable amount of prawn traps considering they are closed until March 31.

Alot of the prawn strings our are " Idle no more" freinds. They have lots of strings from Tent right over to Kuleet Bay. Couple hundred traps easy. Theres always a few rec guys that have no clue aswell.

ooooooooooh ISLANDER55....

Your questions haven't been about fishing. Your questions have been about how best to be lazy
. As a young guy, I would think that you would be itching to get out on the water as it SEEMS to be something you enjoy. But you just ask and ask, day after day week after week. Did you try to catch any fish with the information you are given? I don't think so, and if you did, you aren't willing to return the favour many have so kindly granted you, which is local information on the areas you are (supposedly) fishing.

No body is going to offer you any information if you keep this up. You should have noticed the little information you are being given already. There is many many threads about winter spring fishing. If you would take half the time you spend begging for info, and instead do some research, you would have all the info and your friends would be SUPER impressed.

All of that being said, here is what you have been asking for many times.

Winter Springs
= around tent island (or anywhere) for that matter....
-these fish are hungry. They spend their time searching for food through the winter. Present them with something to bite, and they will (if they are where you are fishing)
-since they are always looking for food, they are moving constantly. The ocean is always moving. Pushing bait and fish in the direction of the current and flow.
-the majority of these fish are ON THE BOTTOM. you will have best luck in 120-220 feet of water. You want your downrigger ball and tackle ON THE BOTTOM. Not necessarily dragging through the mud (though some do) but just off the bottom, making occasional contact with the mud.
-keep an eye on your depths. Fishing this close to the bottom, it is very easy to hook up your downrigger ball and snap it off.
-TO FIND THE FISH, you have to GO FISHING! They may be beside Tent Isl. one day, and maybe not the next. IT IS UP TO YOU TO FIND THEM!!

LEADERS AND LURES:

-small small small!! Your lures should be small hoochies, small spoons (3") or small bait. The bait in the ocean at this time of year is not big so you want to match what size bait the fish are using. Lures 3.5" and smaller is a good choice. You said you had coho killers. These are great lures for winter springs. Choose one with green, purple, glow, silver, or a mixture of the bunch. The fish aren't so hung up on colour, but presentation.

-Spoons=6ft leader is fine but I would shorten it up to 5 feet personally. 25lb test for your leader.
-Hoochies=3ft or SHORTER for leader (even 18" is good). You MUST fish these with a flasher. The flasher is what gives the hoochie its action. Use a heavy test, 40lb for your leader. This line is stiffer because it is thicker, and it tosses and whips the hoochie around much better than 25lb test mono.
-Bait=6 feet

Hopefully you take this info and come back with a report. Even if you DON'T catch fish, we would like to hear about your efforts. Where did you fish, what did you use, how deep did you try. You will be surprised with the results if you put in the effort.

Be safe, have fun, and Tight Lines.

-FB-

Not too bad for a Mainlander... sounds just about bang on

Not too bad for a Mainlander... sounds just about bang on

When I joined this site, I didn't know jack. And I still learn something nearly every time I come online, or out on the water doing actual fishing lol. I'm not much older than I55, I still remember graduating high school so I still have all the vigour of a young man (I like to think)....that being said, I didn't have a lot of friends who fished, just my one buddy who got me into it. I didn't want to badger him tirelessly with questions (because there are THAT MANY questions about ocean fishing) so I turned to this website, by way of Osama's guidance.
Before making my second post (the 1st was an epic Tuna Tale) I spent hours going about 25 pages deep into the saltwater section, reading, taking notes, and literally printing, and putting what I thought to be valuable info, from reputable anglers, into a binder so I had what I felt was the info I needed to catch a fish.

I bet some of you senior members would be flattered (or insulted haha) by the paragraphs of info I have filed away on hard copy. That's why I am so appreciative of the guys who put in the time, cuz they sure as shat don't have to, but who have put in the time, so new anglers like myself very few years ago, can learn the sport.

I can't believe some of the one-time posters who show up looking to basically have fish put in their box. I myself would be embarrassed (and I think those who do this SHOULD be) to just ask where, when, how deep, what color, what lure, what smell, what leader.....ect ect. I can't be the only one who feels the same. Its pure laziness and although I haven't spent half my life on the water, I spend more than half my spare time reading through this damn site, trying to soak up as much info as I can so I have the best luck possible in our increasingly regulated, decreasingly populated fisheries.

At the same time I have grown a great respect for the sport and the fish we catch. The attitude and ethical class that a lot of members have on here can't help but rub off on other people, if not for just the reason to not be shamed in public by netting a small or out of season fish...ect ect.

I've said it many times, I really appreciate the info you guys put forward (and the BS is fun too haha), and without it, this site would be nothing. It would surely be nothing if all we ever did was beg for info and give nothing in return.

Cheers!!! to all contributing members. To the trolls, I leave you the last sip in the glass....

Sorry for the Hijack

Back to the reports!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I joined this site, I didn't know jack. And I still learn something nearly every time I come online, or out on the water doing actual fishing lol. I'm not much older than I55, I still remember graduating high school so I still have all the vigour of a young man (I like to think)....that being said, I didn't have a lot of friends who fished, just my one buddy who got me into it. I didn't want to badger him tirelessly with questions (because there are THAT MANY questions about ocean fishing) so I turned to this website, by way of Osama's guidance.
Before making my second post (the 1st was an epic Tuna Tale) I spent hours going about 25 pages deep into the saltwater section, reading, taking notes, and literally printing, and putting what I thought to be valuable info, from reputable anglers, into a binder so I had what I felt was the info I needed to catch a fish.

I bet some of you senior members would be flattered (or insulted haha) by the paragraphs of info I have filed away on hard copy. That's why I am so appreciative of the guys who put in the time, cuz they sure as shat don't have to, but who have put in the time, so new anglers like myself very few years ago, can learn the sport.

I can't believe some of the one-time posters who show up looking to basically have fish put in their box. I myself would be embarrassed (and I think those who do this SHOULD be) to just ask where, when, how deep, what color, what lure, what smell, what leader.....ect ect. I can't be the only one who feels the same. Its pure laziness and although I haven't spent half my life on the water, I spend more than half my spare time reading through this damn site, trying to soak up as much info as I can so I have the best luck possible in our increasingly regulated, decreasingly populated fisheries.

At the same time I have grown a great respect for the sport and the fish we catch. The attitude and ethical class that a lot of members have on here can't help but rub off on other people, if not for just the reason to not be shamed in public by netting a small or out of season fish...ect ect.

I've said it many times, I really appreciate the info you guys put forward (and the BS is fun too haha), and without it, this site would be nothing. It would surely be nothing if all we ever did was beg for info and give nothing in return.

Cheers!!! to all contributing members. To the trolls, I leave you the last sip in the glass....

Sorry for the Hijack

Back to the reports!!

Great post Nick. My thoughts and experiences with the forum exactly. Nothing, and I mean nothing beats getting out there and trying it yourself.

Great post Nick. My thoughts and experiences with the forum exactly. Nothing, and I mean nothing beats getting out there and trying it yourself.

times two on that one nothin beats learning or finding out somethin new on your own. also learning somethin new while sifting through old threads on this forum and finding an old gem.

Fished north end of Galiano today. Ran out thru Polier. Fair amount of boats fishing today. We hit one spring about 7lbs. Hooked it on a purple uv coho killer/purple haze flasher. Looked like a fairly slow fish today. Nice flat day to be on the water!

Cheers

Very thoughtful FB, well done. I have also gained priceless info from this very forum. Put the time in and you will be rewarded, my wife and I fished countless hours, days, weeks and months before it payed off. Some pretty good reports from out in the straight.

Fished north end of Galiano today. Ran out thru Polier. Fair amount of boats fishing today. We hit one spring about 7lbs. Hooked it on a purple uv coho killer/purple haze flasher. Looked like a fairly slow fish today. Nice flat day to be on the water!

Cheers

One fish on a winter day is not slow it's typical for this time of year. It's not summertime. Those days you get more are exceptional not the norm.

One fish on a winter day is not slow it's typical for this time of year. It's not summertime. Those days you get more are exceptional not the norm.

Depends on where you are fishing...To the North.... An associate of mine hit 14 yesterday of which 4 were legal in the 10 to 14 pound range.

The Irish Cream, Cookies and Cream, and Blue half and half Coyote in 4.0 from 90-120 were dynamite.

I haven't been up to Porlier yet this year. Last year there was a lot of bait there but I have heard there hasn't been that much on the sounder this year. Can anyone confirm this? There has been bait in the 4-6 inch range in the bellies of some nice fish caught near sandheads and coal ports and showing thick on the sounder too. Anyone else try that side of the pond?

I haven't been up to Porlier yet this year. Last year there was a lot of bait there but I have heard there hasn't been that much on the sounder this year. Can anyone confirm this? There has been bait in the 4-6 inch range in the bellies of some nice fish caught near sandheads and coal ports and showing thick on the sounder too. Anyone else try that side of the pond?

I have heard the same reports from a credible source over here 44....however, like I say....I have yet to see the fish reportedly caught down there in pictures or otherwise. It's a long run relatively speaking from Moorage....either Gulf Islands or Coal Ports......Gulf Islands win out everytime unless it's July-September.

Depends on where you are fishing...To the North.... An associate of mine hit 14 yesterday of which 4 were legal in the 10 to 14 pound range.

The Irish Cream, Cookies and Cream, and Blue half and half Coyote in 4.0 from 90-120 were dynamite.

That's an exceptional day for sure.

Back