Commander 26 Re Build

Same shot different day
Spent the morning looking at the commander everytime someone opens my office door,
Decided today was perfect to start on the top rail. Got the stuff out the box, the rail it self looks the same as the lower, flexes easily, definitely not as solid as the lower, but it doesn’t need to be.

The hardware kit came with some SS screws,
But they are nothing like the 316 I installed on the lower rail. They are magnetic and have a different shiny finish to them. I been told to only use 316 and use a magnet to test the hardware if I’m uncertain. Now I don’t think Taco marine would give me a kit of hardware that will rust but I’m kind of worried it didn’t pass my test.

Not sure if I should chuck these screws and order some 316 or I’m taking this too far and the screws in the kit are good enough…D808FF56-5D06-48BB-BFB3-AE1A38F70957.jpeg

571D4174-25D3-4F55-9BCB-A19138EA40D0.jpeg

you've gone this far with the perfection why not continue IMO its not worth using hardware your not happy with or worried about in the long run! id be kinda chapped though with the company selling off a product that tech is sub par to what they say it is... I would get on the horn to them and complain to be honest to recoupe cost of the proper hardware needed.

Here is a perfect example

View attachment 88447
Ya think that’s from 304 SS or something else?
I have 304 in my shop and it doesn’t look like the hardware provided in this taco kit. I’m thinking my top rail might be designed for a smaller freshwater boat.
My original rail was secured with 2 different type of hardware, the hardware under my insert was completed rusted, the other was fine.

Ya think that’s from 304 SS or something else?
I have 304 in my shop and it doesn’t look like the hardware provided in this taco kit. I’m thinking my top rail might be designed for a smaller freshwater boat.
My original rail was secured with 2 different type of hardware, the hardware under my insert was completed rusted, the other was fine.

304 will do that over a long period. Not sure what the fasteners are that come with all this crap. Some weird cheap material. I never use the crap. I absolutely hate Phillips head stainless tapping screws anyway. I like when they stick to the screwdriver

Back