Commander 26 Re Build

**** sakes tow that thing to Chilliwack. Winter is no place for a jet boat.
My Buddy is taking out some clients for a few days to go see Oli. This year he got a floating cabin for us, guides for clients, bring your own boat, I have never fished anywhere west coast island, looking forward to it.
You telling me…. I still have to tow her there LoL
That’s gonna be the most embarrassing thing.
It’s take my Thunderjet or get shoved into another boat…. I m thinking I will take both options,

You will Ruin that boat, and Ruin your back. Boat for sure. Might get lucky and the weather will be absolutely mint, and fish cliff point everyday. Doable. However you won't be able to take that little boat past kains Island. That little boat will cavitate, and get slapped around. Pretty dangerous I'd say. Leave that little thing in Chilliwack where it belongs lol

You will Ruin that boat, and Ruin your back. Boat for sure. Might get lucky and the weather will be absolutely mint, and fish cliff point everyday. Doable. However you won't be able to take that little boat past kains Island. That little boat will cavitate, and get slapped around. Pretty dangerous I'd say. Leave that little thing in Chilliwack where it belongs lol
That y I’m getting my Commanda

Man ,I know a few older guys laughing there faces off when they hear stuff like this, winter harbour I agree is different,
But man I tell you the stories I hear of crossing to porlier pass in 14 tinny’s. Now guys are scared to go out into the chuck in a 21 foot er s?!?!?
I totally agree not ideal by any means.

And I also have been beat by the weather, turned around a few times, and definitely respect the water.

I will ruin the boat towing it there I been told LoL

And I don’t like going in other peoples boats….
I consider myself… The Captain ;)

Ahhhhhhhh
Thanks Mom, you ruined my trip ;)

We always towed into coal harbour and then its about a 30-40 min boat cruise into Winter. Decent road. Park the trailer there and pay a fee at the float plane yard

Last edited:
West coast in general is no comparison to the gulf of georgia. North island is no place for a flat bottom tin can non self bailing jet boat lol. Totally doable if trolling rain island and cliff point. If you wanna go for hali best place is out towards Brooks. No ******* way id ever take a jet boat over there lol

I have seen lots of guy's with jet boats in WH. Its true they get **** kicked when the weather turns on them. I have actually plowed a path with the seasport for some in the past to help get them home. If your weather smart WH is no big deal.
Jason Bishop from Bishops Boats/Welding in Steveston takes his squirt boat out there yearly too. You can see the very limited entry and deadrise on his so he has to pick his days and spots. It can be done, but the compromise factor is quite obvious.

You can fish Nootka perfectly in a River boat. Obviously you need to be mindful of weather. Lots of protected water and the odd day offshore flat calm. I’ve seen plenty of 16 foot open boats there. West Coast fishing tho requires sensible safety management. IE. offshore we always have on pfd’s , boat needs 2 vhf, EPIRB, 2nd backup motor, 2 gps and radar is almost essential.

You can fish Nootka perfectly in a River boat. Obviously you need to be mindful of weather. Lots of protected water and the odd day offshore flat calm. I’ve seen plenty of 16 foot open boats there. West Coast fishing tho requires sensible safety management. IE. offshore we always have on pfd’s , boat needs 2 vhf, EPIRB, 2nd backup motor, 2 gps and radar is almost essential.

Anyone here have an EPIRB?

That's the one where they use their own satellite and goes directly to coast guard emerg? Pinpoint accuracy ?

Anyone here have an EPIRB?

That's the one where they use their own satellite and goes directly to coast guard emerg? Pinpoint accuracy ?
It’s on the list of next buys.

Keep poking farther and farther offshore each year as I get more comfortable with it so I definitely have to buckle down and get a decent one.

I’ve got a bit of a funny story about fishing Nootka some years ago, our first time out there and on the west side. But for another day enough side tracking the post.

Back