Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

kind of like real estate it'll tank and prices will crater
I don’t see how a toy and a house are the same at all.
If prices were magically to drop on homes, it would only cause massive bidding wars by those who can actually afford to get in the market, instantly raising prices again.
The only thing that can lower the price of houses is interest rates going up significantly, but that just means higher interest and lower principal = same mortgage payments.

Question: Whats going to happen to the market when everyone suddenly realizes that they don't need a boat longterm to get through COVID...?
Honestly I don’t think much will happen. Might be the odd deal to be had but this topic was brought up when the regulations for fishing started becoming ridiculous. Oil will rebound so the cost of plastics and fibreglass go up and aluminum isn’t getting cheaper anytime soon. My observations on buying a boat is be ready with the money but so far not many people are giving them away for free....lol

Honestly I don’t think much will happen. Might be the odd deal to be had but this topic was brought up when the regulations for fishing started becoming ridiculous. Oil will rebound so the cost of plastics and fibreglass go up and aluminum isn’t getting cheaper anytime soon. My observations on buying a boat is be ready with the money but so far not many people are giving them away for free....lol
I agree I think it'll take years of boats sitting in driveways for the price to drop significantly. Might find the odd good deal when all the covid divorce dust settles but people know what they paid and have a tough time taking hits.

I think boats will level out a bit next year and get back to closer to where prices were before covid. There won’t be a crazy drop though. Lower mainland and Vancouver island are pretty much recession proof as shown in 2007.

The junk will come down in price when free money stops. Surveys and cautious buying, with offers under ask, will come back just like in real estate. BC and Federal Grants will come to an end and LOC's will increase in cost and those who can not maintain a boat or mooring the boat will bailout. Quality boats that people invest in will stay high as parts and manufacturing costs of new ones will not get any cheaper. Supply chains for some parts are backed up 12-18 months so even if someone wants a new boat and manufacture can weld or lay one up with glass, they might not be able to get the engine or steering parts. Manufactures are asking for payment upfront for lots of things in the supply chain so don't be surprised if someone asks for 50% down to get started on toy for you.

Several friends are sharing the cost of used boats these days, even going for a 3 way (don't bite on that) so even though the price has risen by 25% from this time last year they are only paying 33% of the purchase and maintenance cost of their new to them boat. Two friends sold larger boats so are now flush with cash maintaining and upgrading the new shared boats. A Campion 542 and Boston Whaler Conquest were just purchased this way.

seller contacted me today. he has been busy.. going to make contact/discussion tomorrow. Talk gph, fuel capacity, cruise speed etc,, i been looking for a tuna boat and this may fit the bill. The Pursuit breakers had listed was going to be the one but the owner held it for a work buddy. That boat will again be working out of ukee. Man i wanted it! What Knott has a 26' glacier bay with 140's. Part of the discussion will be hours on the motors. I could see this boat being ok with 175's but 200's would be of course better. See how it goes!
My friend had a 26’ Glacier Bay. He bought it to commute back and forth to Lasquiti. He liked it up to the point where he almost rolled it in a brisk following sea when it sheared off.

Caveat. He is a lifelong boat guy who still fishes commercially and designed and built a line of aluminum boats. His commuter boat now is a 28’ by 10 1/2’ Northwest. He is done with cats.

1990 Grady White Gulfstream 23. $5000.

No power on the boat and no trailer, rot was found on either side of the fuel tank pocket. It's only $5000 for a boat that has great potential. You all know these boats are stupidly priced when they're in good shape and next to impossible to find in any condition so if someone out there has power and wants to put a little TLC into this old girl it'd be good boat for somebody. It was equipped with a 250 four stroke and there is power available for extra. It's a 2007 Yamaha 250hp four stroke as well as an 8 hp Yamaha aux motor for extra. These two motors will most likely be sold separately but can go with boat for the right price. This is NOT a part out boat, it's sold as is. It is located at Dryland Marine in West Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. It would be way more beneficial to come see the boat rather then me try to explain everything. I will not hold the boat unless there has been an e transfer sent.

164241796_5402326003143287_6224777634592207340_o.jpg164067820_5402326253143262_8702081205747690470_o.jpg

Question: Whats going to happen to the market when everyone suddenly realizes that they don't need a boat longterm to get through COVID...?
My guess is there will be all kinds of deals in 2-3 years. When the borders open up the families that can afford to travel are going to be itching to do that. That's going to stretch the family budget and the boats, rv's quads, etc that are now just sitting in the yard are going to go on the market. The real icing on the cake will be when we see the inflationary period that is coming, that will lead to an increase in interest rates and all those people with a yard full of toys that everyone is jealous of will be in a world of hurt. For the first time in their lives they won't be able to just re-mortgage the house to make it all right. This will bring even more supply to the used market. I hope I'm wrong because the impact will be devastating for a lot of people. When I have a budget for $100,000 and I can't find a really nice 15 year old turn key fishing boat with low hours that is a clue to me that things have gone horribly wrong.

My guess is there will be all kinds of deals in 2-3 years. When the borders open up the families that can afford to travel are going to be itching to do that. That's going to stretch the family budget and the boats, rv's quads, etc that are now just sitting in the yard are going to go on the market. The real icing on the cake will be when we see the inflationary period that is coming, that will lead to an increase in interest rates and all those people with a yard full of toys that everyone is jealous of will be in a world of hurt. For the first time in their lives they won't be able to just re-mortgage the house to make it all right. This will bring even more supply to the used market. I hope I'm wrong because the impact will be devastating for a lot of people. When I have a budget for $100,000 and I can't find a really nice 15 year old turn key fishing boat with low hours that is a clue to me that things have gone horribly wrong.
Once they let immigration students, foreign workers and STEM professionals back in our country, plus the expected immigration and inter-migration, I think it will keep the momentum going here in BC.

1990 Grady White Gulfstream 23. $5000.

No power on the boat and no trailer, rot was found on either side of the fuel tank pocket. It's only $5000 for a boat that has great potential. You all know these boats are stupidly priced when they're in good shape and next to impossible to find in any condition so if someone out there has power and wants to put a little TLC into this old girl it'd be good boat for somebody. It was equipped with a 250 four stroke and there is power available for extra. It's a 2007 Yamaha 250hp four stroke as well as an 8 hp Yamaha aux motor for extra. These two motors will most likely be sold separately but can go with boat for the right price. This is NOT a part out boat, it's sold as is. It is located at Dryland Marine in West Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. It would be way more beneficial to come see the boat rather then me try to explain everything. I will not hold the boat unless there has been an e transfer sent.

View attachment 63531View attachment 63532
After 20000$ in hull restorations it will be a nice boat

Once they let immigration students, foreign workers and STEM professionals back in our country, plus the expected immigration and inter-migration, I think it will keep the momentum going here in BC.
I hope your right but I don't think that foreign workers and immigrants are coming here to pay down the astronomical debt that Canada has racked up. not to derail the used boat thread just my 2 cents. Like I said if I can't get a nice boat for $100,000 I'm taking a year off. Lifetimer is building me a really nice 14'skiff that I've wanted for a long time anyways, the new motor is on order, and I'll slum it for a year. I've caught a heck of a lot of fish out of a 12' tinny as kid I can do it again for a year or two.

After 20000$ in hull restorations it will be a nice boat
Yep, could be a good project boat for sure with a nice finish...

Back