Determining my next boat and looking for help (17' DE/Hurston, 185 DE, Campion 542, Hewes Sea Runner 180 etc)

smokedvw

Hi,

So I have dabbled in trying to figure out which boat to get next. Mainly on facebook posts here and there but I figured this is probably the best place to come to discuss it.

My current boat is a 1970's 15' Hurston Glasscraft that I rebuilt in 2016 with a 2010 Mercury 4 stroke 50hp. I have done all maintenance and work on the boat and motor (along with some assistance when needed by a marine mechanic friend when I hit an issue).

The boat is moored in Canoe Cove (Sidney BC in from April to October) and I usually use the boat to go crabbing, prawning but mainly it is used to just go out and cruise and enjoy the sun, sidney spit (sandy beach) or portland island for lunch/dinner or the kids to play in the beach and water. We just had a second child and as it is the boat works but is for sure tight if we want to invite a family member or friend (though in covid this isnt really happening). I find that for our immediate family we can get away with what we have now on nice days and those are currently the only days we go out.

When the weather is nice we like to make some food at home, go to the boat and rip over to either location to enjoy the sun and eat on the beach. Both can be reached in under 15 minutes at 30 kph which is cruising speed in that boat. (~3800-4000 RPM's).

What I am trying to figure out is if I need to move up to a 17' or 18.5 with a cuddy. For this season I think we will be fine in our current boat but I would like to try to figure out what I want to look around for over winter or if a deal comes up (very unlikely in this overpriced market currently).

When it comes down to it I am leaning more towards a fiberglass boat though I do find it frustrating to see the side of my current boat at the back being totally wacked up and scratched by people pulling up traps and smacking them against the side of the boat and making scratches all over me included. That lead me to think of possibly going to a aluminum welded boat (silver streak, hewes etc, they seem to be found for around $30k for a 15 year old one, which funny enough is less than they were new 15 years ago but seems all the boats I will list are more then they probably were new or close to it with covid pricing).

After a lot of thinking about fiberglass vs aluminum it seems like most people seem to say they prefer fiberglass for the ride and impact on waves etc. in the 17-18 foot range unless you go up past 21' in an aluminum. At the same time I have heard the DE and older boats have issues with the hulls getting water etc and then getting heavier, needing to be redone etc. IF they are sitting moored 24/7. I think this goes away on the newer hulls of fiberglass and kevlar.

I also beach my boat always when dropping off the kids/friends etc then setup my anchor just off shore so I can pull it back to get on. I dont see how this can really cause that much harm to fiberglass, when people are getting concerned about beaching their boats are they talking when they leave for a hike in high tide to come back to find their boat hung up on rocks or something? I cant see what putting your boat into some sand beach or somewhat seashell/pebble type rocks would really do to the hull? Hasnt done anything to my 1970's boat but then again I hear they make them like sherman tanks back then.

I do not fish much but I do see this as something I will do more as my sons gets older (1 currently 3 and the other is a new born). What I am unsure about is if anyone will really use the cuddy in the 185/campion to actually nap etc or play in if we are out fishing or if its a waste of time and money. Those boats are considerably heavier than say a 18' or 17' older DE without the cuddy which will translate to more money on gas etc.

Pro's about my current boat
- super cheap to run is probably #1 reason I use it all the time. We are honestly out 3 times a week when its nice out. I can run this boat 3 times a week from April to September and spend $400 for the summer.
- runs well in decent weather (we have taken it to Salt Spring) but really its not fun in anything over maybe a 1.5'-2' wave. It has been out in bigger but just not ideal. I always check the weather before we go to determine wind direction then chose a spot based on that or not go out at all.
- I rebuilt it with bayliner seats and built it to fit a 6'2 person where I can fully chill back and extend my legs without hitting the wall between the storage area (not sure whats it called) but before I did this being that cramped would drive me crazy being tall.
- I have replaced the majority of things on the boat so I know it inside and out

Con's
- going prawning you can only have 2 people on the boat
- going fishing feels like 2 people is about maximum as well
- dont want to be caught in 3'+ waves

17' DE/Hurston/KC
- all these boats seem to be about the same though the DE does seem to have a higher gunnel at the back of the boat

Pro's
- could possibly take 6 people (depending on configuration)
- minimum size to prawn/fish with room
- less gas required running a 90hp or 115hp compared to a 185 DE

Con's
- more gas than my current boat but thats about it

185 DE / 542 Explorer
Pro's
- cuddy though I have no idea how often the kids will use it, it can also double as storage etc
- would allow me to go fishing in further areas, though in reality my fishing skills need to get way better to even bother going out to more remote spots and I do feel like I can just tag along with others possibly to learn how to fish there before I need a boat to go there but it would future proof that need
- I fell like I could setup a BBQ on the back to be out and eat on the boat but honestly 185 doesnt feel like its big enough to really go out and put down the anchor somewhere and make a BBQ and chill? Maybe I need to go in one again to get that feeling. My 21' Malibu seems like a relaxing paradise compared to the ocean style boats im describing here.

Con's
- Close to most expensive option ($25k - 35k)
- Most expensive to operate

180 Hewes Sea Runner
Pro's
- less maintenance (possibly, sounds like you just need to make sure to put the bottom zincs, and check the special coating each season)
- less weight than the 185 DE so you can run a 115 and be less on gas
- seem to have a nice setups for fishing room wise and side ways seats

Con's
- not as good in the ocean waves as the 185 DE, would it be about the same as the 17's? My neighbor at the dock said he loves his 180 hewes over his old 176 DE but said they ride about the same. I think the less maintenance is the big factor there keeping it in the water all the time.
- most expensive option it seems ($30k - 40k for a used 2005-2010)

Questions I have
1) Anyone really know what the difference in gas costs would really be between the 15' w 50hp, 17 w 90hp, 185 with 125-150 hp (though I see 115's I dont know if that is enough to really run those boats?) Is it close to 1.5-2x in the 17' and 3x in the 185?
2) Do kids really use the cuddy? I can only see us using the cuddy when we are out fishing and they want a break otherwise we would be at the beach. I have had kids fall asleep in the 15' on the way home and we just put them on the floor with pillows/blankets, or on your lap. Seems like it would be nice to put them up there but it would also have to be a pretty calm day I assume if you were moving.
3) Is the bigger boat really only needed for fishing and going more offshore locations? If I plan to just stay in the protected waters around the gulf islands do I need to go larger? I think what is missing for me right now is the ability to take friends and their kids out BUT that is like 5-10% of its use max. Right now I can get by with a single friend and their son and mine but if you want to take out another couple I feel like you need 6 seats. My current boat has no stamped regulation but we have had 6 people in it and it has a hard time to plane.
4) If I go 542 is the 2005 a lot better than pervious hull designs?
5) In the 17's is the KC and Hurston the same hull and DE is different or are they all about the same but the DE has the high gunnel/rear of the boat?

I had thought of a lowes/lund ski and fish style aluminum too since it has ample seating but I heard the ride even in the 18' was not very good in the chop so I threw that out before. I know you can get almost new ones (2-3 years old) for about $25k which seems like a good deal (at least last year not sure on prices this year). Just putting this back in the mix in case people have tried these and have anything to compare above.

Thank guys!

I was just kidding. I read the whole thing. I’m happy with my 176 for all the reasons you mentioned.
I agree, the idea of a cuddy is nice for the kids or secure storage. I just find the 17’ seating and deck area a little more open feeling. Any of those boats would serve you well!

Last edited:
I was just kidding. I read the whole thing. I’m happy with my 176 for all the reasons you mentioned.
I agree, the idea is nice for the kids or secure storage. I just find the 17’ seating and deck area a little more open feeling. Any of those boats would serve you well!
Haha

Yeah the more I have been looking the more I feel like the 176 seems the way to go but I just was drawn to the cuddy IF the kids would actually use it. Just got off the call with my friends dad selling his 542 (sold in one day for 30k 2004) had a 115 on it and he said it felt somewhat underpowered but did them well for 10+ years. He wants a Boston whaler or something he feels he can run up on the beach now.

He mentioned kids could nap in it but his are my age (35) haha so no one ever did. If they are not going to I don't see the point in going to the 185 as it will be more money for sure in initial cost and gas judging by the weight increase vs the 17.

Preach on. 176’s are more economical and more of them on the market to choose from.
I’m not bashing 185’s or 542’s at all. Amazing boats and there’s a reason there aren’t that many on the market. Everyone who has one wants to keep it.

I’ll do a YouTube video answering your questions but also giving you more questions.

Short version, buy a 18 footer with a cuddy for under 20k. Basically add a Malibu or Livingston to your list as that’s all you can buy in that range unless they have new power than pay up to 25k.

loved the hewescraft sea runner 180 tough and reliable but not as good for kids. Took it to swift sure and would have no problem taking it anywhere.

The reason I say keep the budget down is if you love the 18 footer you might have twofootis again and go for a 25 like me or a 30 like rain city. Save your pennies and don’t get 2 footits, save up until you decide you want to do over nighters and go for a 22 or bigger boat like a Monaro, C-Dory, Hourston, etc....for a lot more but a lot more adventures.

PS don’t worry about gas...just enjoy it!

I’ll do a YouTube video answering your questions but also giving you more questions.

Short version, buy a 18 footer with a cuddy for under 20k. Basically add a Malibu or Livingston to your list as that’s all you can buy in that range unless they have new power than pay up to 25k.

loved the hewescraft sea runner 180 tough and reliable but not as good for kids. Took it to swift sure and would have no problem taking it anywhere.

The reason I say keep the budget down is if you love the 18 footer you might have twofootis again and go for a 25 like me or a 30 like rain city. Save your pennies and don’t get 2 footits, save up until you decide you want to do over nighters and go for a 22 or bigger boat like a Monaro, C-Dory, Hourston, etc....for a lot more but a lot more adventures.

PS don’t worry about gas...just enjoy it!
I'd be lying if time to time I look at boats like this and think how fun they would be to put around to the islands. I just know my wife would think I'm nuts, though probably fall in love with it once we are cruising. But the kids are to small imo to feel safe wandering around a boat of this size for a few more years.

This boat seems cheap to me. Not trying to derail my own post.

I just know I would be taking a 38' boat out for a 1 hour cruise or taking my son for a lunch on the beach. These seem more for people partying at the dock.

I look forward to your YouTube video ;)

How are the hulls in those Malibu compared to the DE etc? I see the odd one come up.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if time to time I look at boats like this and think how fun they would be to put around to the islands. I just know my wife would think I'm nuts, though probably fall in love with it once we are cruising. But the kids are to small imo to feel safe wandering around a boat of this size for a few more years.

This boat seems cheap to me. Not trying to derail my own post.

I just know I would be taking a 38' boat out for a 1 hour cruise or taking my son for a lunch on the beach. These seem more for people partying at the dock.

I look forward to your YouTube video ;)

How are the hulls in those Malibu compared to the DE etc? I see the odd one come up.
The gulf island are perfect for a Malibu in my mind, I don't think they have the same deep v as a DE but pretty good. Never been on the Malibu but two friends who have them fish them pretty hard in some rough conditions.

That Chris Craft is sick, maybe when the two kids have left the nest and come back with their partners. The complete opposite of the cheap and easy 15 footer!

I’ll address one of your questions about beaching a fibreglass boat: put a Keelguard on it. I put one on a 17’ Stratacraft(K&C) and a 20’ Regal bow rider. The latter made people cringe seeing such a pretty boat pulled up on shore.
I‘d get one long enough to run from just above the water line to past the curve where the keel starts to level out. It is best to apply in warmer weather so it is more pliable and do it carefully because the adhesive is so strong that it doesn’t unstick wherever it touches. Both examples for me were still perfect after 9 and 6 years of use and didn’t change anything performance wise. They came in several colours so they didn’t look too bad either. The pic was taken when I cleaned the boat up for trading it in. This boat was lake moored from the May long weekend to Thanksgiving each year as well. As you can see, it’s not coming off by itself.

Attachments

• 381142C3-A8BE-4173-9E3C-8FA73CED71F0.jpeg
    381142C3-A8BE-4173-9E3C-8FA73CED71F0.jpeg
    448.8 KB · Views: 56
The gulf island are perfect for a Malibu in my mind, I don't think they have the same deep v as a DE but pretty good. Never been on the Malibu but two friends who have them fish them pretty hard in some rough conditions.

That Chris Craft is sick, maybe when the two kids have left the nest and come back with their partners. The complete opposite of the cheap and easy 15 footer!
Which Malibu model are you referring to?

I went and looked at a friends old 1980's 185 with a cuddy. Looks HEAVY but seemed to be super solid. I then looked at another friends of my parents who had what looks like a showroom condition 16' with a 50hp and everything is there to fish and has 6 seats BUT I feel like unless you had a 75 or 90 on it having 6 people in there wouldnt work to well and also still seems like not enough of a upgrade from a 15 to 16'. The boat though is in such good shape I think ill have to hope to hunt down a 17 that way if I go that route.

I see various 185's 90's for sale right now for around $32-35k. Most seem to all have Etec's on them and it does concern me that the company is now out of business to service them and get parts. I guess people went to the Etec because it was cheap as the majority of boats with engines replaced in the past 3-5 years seem to be etec on these DE's.

I’ll address one of your questions about beaching a fibreglass boat: put a Keelguard on it. I put one on a 17’ Stratacraft(K&C) and a 20’ Regal bow rider. The latter made people cringe seeing such a pretty boat pulled up on shore.
I‘d get one long enough to run from just above the water line to past the curve where the keel starts to level out. It is best to apply in warmer weather so it is more pliable and do it carefully because the adhesive is so strong that it doesn’t unstick wherever it touches. Both examples for me were still perfect after 9 and 6 years of use and didn’t change anything performance wise. They came in several colours so they didn’t look too bad either. The pic was taken when I cleaned the boat up for trading it in. This boat was lake moored from the May long weekend to Thanksgiving each year as well. As you can see, it’s not coming off by itself.
I get your point but I still don't see what the sand really does to the hull, or is it that people ram up on rocks or leave and get there boats caught up on rock/oyster shells etc. What is it actually going to do harmful to the boat or is it purely cosmetic that people dont like to see a scratch? I have a section that was gauged out due to my trailer bunk on my Malibu I only noticed in the water swimming last year and it does make me cringe each time I see it but on my ocean boat I expect to have them in the ablative paint.

1620835905998.png

vs

1620835955900.png

If I was going up on rocks like that I would throw out the rear anker and make sure I dont go up on them ;).

Though on my Hurston I do have some big chunked out areas but I dont see how you would avoid those if you really do beach your boat and have it rock back and forth.

The only way to get around that is sort out your anker system and adjust as the day goes on and your at the beach. I guess it depends if you "Had" to go up on a rock shore but any waves in a ocean will rock that baby anyways so I am just wondering where are people beaching it that they get concerned about?

Here is my helper sorting out the boat at Sidney Spit. I dont see how this spot will damage your boat.

1620836868507.png

Now at this location I can see it scratching the bottom, but you are just coming up to offload the kids and off you go to setup your anchor. Your keelgaurd would work here when there is no waves, but any waves will push side to side.

Maybe this is the reason to buy a older boat that has 10 layers of fiberglass and can run into a log and still keep cruising ;)

1620837012208.png

Gravel and sand will cut through the gel coat and into the fibreglass underneath with repeated grounding. The KeelGuard is just a cheap piece of mind that takes the abuse if you beach a lot. I‘m not saying it’s necessary, just a useful quality product.

180 Hewes Sea Runner
Pro's
- less maintenance (possibly, sounds like you just need to make sure to put the bottom zincs, and check the special coating each season)

Whats this "special coating" your referring to ? bottom paint ?
I have a 180 Searunner.

I've owned all the boats you've mentioned and my sons have young kids that they boat with.They found the kids didn't use the cuddy in the 542 or the 185DE.I recently sold a 17 1/2 Malibu Tyee and now have a 185DE.The Tyee and 176 De are virtually identical,ride the same.The 185De is a better riding boat and I find the cuddy great for clearing the decks of all the junk I carry,tackle boxes,coats,life jackets etc..I measured the Tyee vs the 185DE from dash to splash well and the Tyee has 5" more working space but no cuddy in the tyee to store stuff.I owned the same 15Ft.6" Hourston you have years ago and it will do most of the things you want to do fine.Save your money,now is not the time to be buying a boat.

Wow Smokedvw, I never thought I would see someone on this forum more verbose than me, thanks for taking the heat off. In that vain I will try and keep my comments short.

Given your interests, you have obviously done some research and are looking at the right class of boat. Whatever you get, you will be better off if you get one that is light enough that it does not require a trailer with brakes. They are a costly, pain in the butt, if you can avoid needing them.

You also mentioned that one of your cons for a glass boat is that you don't like all the dings in the gel coat from hauling crab traps over the side. That can be solved by getting a large sheet of rubber from a place like Trotac and draping it over the side of the boat. Some have even fabricated a bit of stainless as a drag over strip and screwed it to the outside edge of the gunnel.

Last edited:
Wow Smokedvw, I never thought I would see someone on this forum more verbose than me, thanks for taking the heat off. In that vain I will try and keep my comments short.

Given your interests, you have obviously done some research and are looking at the right class of boat. Whatever you get, you will be better off if you get one that is light enough that it does not require a trailer with brakes. They are a costly, pain in the butt, if you can avoid needing them.

You also mentioned that one of your cons for a glass boat is that you don't like all the dings in the gel coat from hauling crab traps over the side. That can be solved by getting a large sheet of rubber from a place like Trotac and draping it over the side of the boat. Some have even fabricated a bit of stainless as a drag over strip and screwed it to the outside edge of the gunnel.
I just use a door mat draped over the gunnel $3.95

Back