2024 Sidney Reports

Okay grabbed your loved ones and gather round. Stizzla went on another adventure :O

With my folks living downstairs it was very easy to get my dad out for a go. He’s been so excited about buying his license and looking forward to going.

We got the the launch at 06:30 as dawn was just showing itself. Launched without trouble as I took my time. Checked plug, straps off the trailer. Motor lock undone. Yada yada.

Took off for Hamley in glassy water. Boat ran great. 4500 cruise around 30mph.

Then I pulled a Stizzla.
Got around the lighthouse at the end of the spit and a minute later out of the blue the “brakes” came on smooth but hard. I quickly cut throttle and went to the back to see if I caught on a submerged crab trap rope or something. That’s when i realized I was in 3’ of water!
Trimmed up and slowly got us out to deeper water… then I shut it off and pulled up to see if there was damage. I got as lucky as possible. Just the skeg got some of the paint “sanded” off. No chips, dents or bends. Prop looks good. (Gel coat untouched).

Deep breaths. Started back up and finished the last of the cruise to hamley. Rod 1 goes down. White hoochie gold Betsy 56’. go to put rod two down, buuuut…. uh oh Drag acting up on my brand new trend x5 :’(

Got my spare Peetz out of the cuddy and as I swapped the tackle over to it, and clipped in but before I dropped, I got a big hit on my first rod.
Really stubborn fish. Pulled a lot of line and took my time with it. It came up to the surface quickly so I’m thinking good size coho. Played it a bit longer and got it to the boat and pops netted it. Gums black! BONK!! She was a sprayer… First blood in the boat.

Got both rods down and pretty soon after the Peetz goes off (cop car spoon) didn’t feel like much and it slipped off after 10-15 seconds. Bite’s on!

A few minutes later, back to the hoochie rod,pretty good bouncing hit. Played it to the boat and saw white gums. Unclipped about 8lbs. Back it goes.

Then my other new trend TMX5 reel also starts having a drag problem. That pissed me off and decided to count our blessings and head home early. Of course I had to stop by my jobsite on Lands end rd and show the workers that I had some success while they were working!

Twas a light marble (mostly white) female

IMG_4083.jpegIMG_4086.jpegIMG_4087.jpegIMG_4088.jpeg

Last edited:
Incredible year in Sidney for 2024. Some of my best days for Chinook fishing were in Sidney this year of course during the catch and release season. I fished some new spots, new to me which were fun to fish. Heres to next year. 2025

Has anyone been out to Active pass lately? I am thinking about giving it a try this weekend. I haven't seen any reports anywhere
Any tips or reports would be appreciated.

Headed out to Hamley yesterday to fish the mid day tide. Lost a keeper Spring at the net after about an hour, red flasher/anchovy, couple undersize again on Anchovy. Blew the one chance…what a glorious day on the water!

I've heard that there is a law suit taking place between the band and the company that did the ramp upgrade, so it may be closed a while as that stuff takes forever

Back