2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Got back yesterday from our trip to bamfield - we were there 17th, 18th, 19th and back om the 20th.

We ran up from sooke at 6am on the 17th and got slammed by a north wind and opposing ebb tide. Took us 4 hrs to get up but the boat handled it.

Overall it Seemed slow compared to previous trips and reports. We ground out 10 springs, 3 halibut (15-20lbs) and few rockfish and 2x 80cm lingcod.

Kirby and Meares were our go too spots. And 7 miles off beale for hali - tons of small ones but we picked through to get some bigger ones. We had an estimated 100lber ( 165cm ) while on anchor that was exciting.

Calm flat water and north wind at our stern made for a super comfy ride back - cruised 28 knots the hole way back.

We kept our fish whole on ice and we were met by 3 DFO officers at jocks dock in sooke and all was good.

Last edited:
Got back yesterday from our trip to bamfield - we were there 17th, 18th, 19th and back om the 20th.

We ran up from sooke at 6am on the 17th and got slammed by a north wind and opposing ebb tide. Took us 4 hrs to get up but the boat handled it.

Overall it Seemed slow compared to previous trips and reports. We ground out 10 springs, 3 halibut (15-20lbs) and few rockfish and 2x 80cm lingcod.

Kirby and Meares were our go too spots. And 7 miles off beale for hali - tons of small ones but we picked through to get some bigger ones. We had an estimated 100lber ( 165cm ) while on anchor that was exciting.

Calm flat water and north wind at our stern made for a super comfy ride back - cruised 28 knots the hole way back.

We kept our fish whole on ice and we were met by 3 DFO officers at jocks dock in sooke and all was good.
Just rolled in myself. We managed 6 springs with the largest at 20. We headed past Kirby and spent most of our time around Ed King. The evenings gave us a surprise as we found success at Wizard. The deeper sets produced bigger fish and we had the spot to ourselves.

In some spots we trolled over a lot of good marks without a bite even though we rolled through the gear including some nice anchovies. On the other hand two of our fish hit so close together it was almost a double header.

Overall it was a blast and my goofy outboard jet stood up to the test.

Just rolled in myself. We managed 6 springs with the largest at 20. We headed past Kirby and spent most of our time around Ed King. The evenings gave us a surprise as we found success at Wizard. The deeper sets produced bigger fish and we had the spot to ourselves.

In some spots we trolled over a lot of good marks without a bite even though we rolled through the gear including some nice anchovies. On the other hand two of our fish hit so close together it was almost a double header.

Overall it was a blast and my goofy outboard jet stood up to the test.
Nice work, what was in their bellies?

Any intel on springs inside (swale/effingham) these days? Heading out for a few nights on Aug 1 with the wife and kids and we are still battling it out between Secret Beach (my preference) vs Quadra (she likes the orcas and chances of flat water, despite slot size and single Chinook retention)…

Always appreciate the reports. Heading to Bamfield tomorrow morning....out on Wednesday. Usually go later in August. So a late July fish is a first for our boat. Hope to hear how fishing was today. I will provide a report later this week when home. Thanks !

Just got back from 3 days boat camping behind effingham w the kids. Fishing was great around Cree and Meares, especially early in the morning. Poked out to ampharite bank to try for bottom fish but the kids were turning green so did a quick troll w some success and headed back in. Came home w 11 Chinook to 18lbs and 6 coho for two short days fishing, GW hoodie at 70’ was our main producer. Why when it serves so well do I struggle to respect the GW hoochie and find myself always wishing it will be out fished?

Weird story, we missed the last ferry back so I pulled the boat into the bushes so we could get some sleep before the first morning boat. Within 5 minutes I hear these voices in the bushes talking about ‘lighters and paper’ and ‘that won’t work’ and suddenly the bushes are spewing 10’ flames right beside us. I jumped out and pulled the rig forward and called 911. They put out the fire quickly, could have been a lot worse. Found two kids bikes left behind beside the bushes. Photo is after the flames had died back a bit. My kids slept through an hour of two fire trucks and 3 RCMP cruisers going off beside them, what troopers!

Attachments

• BDA739BB-4760-4C2C-BDE5-80ACA2C3DCBD.jpeg
    BDA739BB-4760-4C2C-BDE5-80ACA2C3DCBD.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 263
  • C452FC6C-F583-4AAF-A8E2-3E189B731E85.jpeg
    C452FC6C-F583-4AAF-A8E2-3E189B731E85.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 668355DB-A3DD-4E54-B370-5166C4ADCB63.jpeg
    668355DB-A3DD-4E54-B370-5166C4ADCB63.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 264
Back