2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Quick trip to Bamfield this past weekend.
I launched in alberni 7am Sat morning, stopped across from China Cr and got our sockeye, then headed to Effingham, got our springs at Mears and Austin in quick order, in my boat fishing with me was my rookie stepson he lost a couple nice ones there, come to think he lost alot of fish this weekend lol. Whales gave us a great show at Austin ,they were in behind the rocks there, must have only been 30ft? of water chasing the huge amount of bait fish in the area our springs were full spitting up small bait fish.
We pulled spoons and needle fish hootchie at 45-65ft
Off shore jigging we caught our bottom fish.
Big Yelloweye were all sent back down on the descending device.
No legal lings, close but no cigars, struck out on halis to!!
after off shore again we finished at Kirby Sunday to get our last springs, stepson straighten the hooks on my needle fish hootchie on a brute there.
My son in his boat outfished and kicked this old mans butt!
Decent springs were plentiful if you fished the correct depth and spots, lots of smalls around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240729-210322_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729-210322_Messenger.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 277
  • 20240729_211538.jpg
    20240729_211538.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 20240729_211621.jpg
    20240729_211621.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 20240729_211639.jpg
    20240729_211639.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 231
  • Screenshot_20240729-211416_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729-211416_Instagram.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 20240729_211802.jpg
    20240729_211802.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Screenshot_20240729-210933_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729-210933_Messenger.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Screenshot_20240729-210437_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729-210437_Gallery.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_20240729-221000_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729-221000_Gallery.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Screenshot_20240729-210236_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729-210236_Messenger.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Hey all, heading over on Thursday for a long weekend fish.

Couple questions:

Are you using anchovies yet?

Did you get a lot of rain the past few days? If so, what's that likely to do to the fish?

Thanks!!!

If anyone happens to come across a fish with a Islander tr3 and new rod with a rod holder attached to it at Austin let me know.. Fish blow it right off the boat Sunday... 😕 reward if found

If anyone happens to come across a fish with a Islander tr3 and new rod with a rod holder attached to it at Austin let me know.. Fish blow it right off the boat Sunday... 😕 reward if found
Must have been quite the take 😱

Reactions: Bod
Hey all, heading over on Thursday for a long weekend fish.

Couple questions:

Are you using anchovies yet?

Did you get a lot of rain the past few days? If so, what's that likely to do to the fish?

Thanks!!!
Spoons are still working for some folks. I switched over to bait a few days ago and noticed quite a difference in my hook up rate. Maybe start with bait one side and fish metal on the other. The fish will tell you what they want. Definitely bring some bait and be prepared though!

Wow that really sucks! I hope you get it back.

Last year this time a guy was fishing around Whittlestone and he pulled up a recently lost Islander TR3 and Islander rod with the fish still hooked to it - crazy but true! Must of had fun trying to convince his wife on this one.

Three of us fished Bamfield from July 29th to the 31st. We kept 6 great springs…all 6 were 15-17 pounders….scrappers.
Never found any coho.

Skinny G herring aid and bon chovie worked wel for us . Betsy and glow green flashers.The Bamfield side of the reef at Beale was the place where we caught our keepers. Mid afternoon....on Monday and Tuesday. 50-70 feet deep on the rigger.

We also tried Whittlestone ( nothing )…and Kirby, Satellite Channel and Swale ( so many small springs…lost count )
Cloud

Story of Sunday-Tuesday was really the plankton bloom brown funk on the inside. Decent water and fishing on the outside edge (Beale and Edward KIng). I've had it worse and the funk should clean up quickly. Decent small bait and hungry fish around.

Hello all Barkley Sound fisherman. We begin our annual pilgrimage to Bamfield tomorrow morning and will be out there for a week. I’ve lost count of what trip we are on as my memory is not so sharp anymore. We are usually patrons of the Poett Nook campground, however our usual group campsite at the top of the hill wasn’t available for us this year as I think it was subdivided up and rented out for season use only. Anyways we are back at the Bamfield Centennial park campground which we last visited in 2020 during the infamous Covid-19 lockdown era and I’m not sure if I showered there even once to keep my immunity running high that unusual season-where we caught only 6 fish & a seal on a spoon on the last day over a week. I did fall in the ocean once to untangle some fishing line out of the motor, so I did get cleaned up a bit. Hope we have another great adventure despite not having some of the great Nook amenities-power, running water, large fish cleaning table, etc. Excited to see what the new road is like, however I do hear traffic is up a tick. Will miss not losing all my hubcaps and being covered in dust upon arrival. We will be in our trustworthy 1976-17ft Boston Whaler, almost 50 years old! Maybe if I win the lottery we will retire Shish-kebab and upgrade to Shish-kebab II so we can have a cover over us on those rainy days, however the weather report is looking great so far. Say hi if you see us and we’ll try hard to stay on a straight trolling tack, but forgive us if we don’t, easily confused sometimes. Any current fishing report around the sound is greatly appreciated. Haven’t seen a report from Pill Point this year, strange? You tell me, tight lines!

Hello all Barkley Sound fisherman. We begin our annual pilgrimage to Bamfield tomorrow morning and will be out there for a week. I’ve lost count of what trip we are on as my memory is not so sharp anymore. We are usually patrons of the Poett Nook campground, however our usual group campsite at the top of the hill wasn’t available for us this year as I think it was subdivided up and rented out for season use only. Anyways we are back at the Bamfield Centennial park campground which we last visited in 2020 during the infamous Covid-19 lockdown era and I’m not sure if I showered there even once to keep my immunity running high that unusual season-where we caught only 6 fish & a seal on a spoon on the last day over a week. I did fall in the ocean once to untangle some fishing line out of the motor, so I did get cleaned up a bit. Hope we have another great adventure despite not having some of the great Nook amenities-power, running water, large fish cleaning table, etc. Excited to see what the new road is like, however I do hear traffic is up a tick. Will miss not losing all my hubcaps and being covered in dust upon arrival. We will be in our trustworthy 1976-17ft Boston Whaler, almost 50 years old! Maybe if I win the lottery we will retire Shish-kebab and upgrade to Shish-kebab II so we can have a cover over us on those rainy days, however the weather report is looking great so far. Say hi if you see us and we’ll try hard to stay on a straight trolling tack, but forgive us if we don’t, easily confused sometimes. Any current fishing report around the sound is greatly appreciated. Haven’t seen a report from Pill Point this year, strange? You tell me, tight lines!
Go get em!!!!

Three of us fished Bamfield from July 29th to the 31st. We kept 6 great springs…all 6 were 15-17 pounders….scrappers.
Never found any coho.

Skinny G herring aid and bon chovie worked wel for us . Betsy and glow green flashers.The Bamfield side of the reef at Beale was the place where we caught our keepers. Mid afternoon....on Monday and Tuesday. 50-70 feet deep on the rigger.

We also tried Whittlestone ( nothing )…and Kirby, Satellite Channel and Swale ( so many small springs…lost count )
Cloud
Same dates, same report. Not a single coho inside, picked up a couple lings jigging bait balls down near Fleming. Back in 12 days. Rolled bait, not a touch, hoochies and spoons worked for us.

Any intel on springs inside (swale/effingham) these days? Heading out for a few nights on Aug 1 with the wife and kids and we are still battling it out between Secret Beach (my preference) vs Quadra (she likes the orcas and chances of flat water, despite slot size and single Chinook retention)…
Where is secret beach?

Back