2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

I have been fishing here the last 4 days. Fishing is slow on the inside, but I’ve heard pretty okay offshore. Picked up a few at Cree (deep) but Swale has been a bust. Everybody I have spoken with has said the same. It should blow open soon. Every morning I hope it’s going to be like that - but the grind continues.

Someone recently told me he never bleeds fish when bonked. I’ve always bled mine ASAP.
Bleeding MUST be the right thing to do.
What does everyone think?
Thanks
Stosh

I have been fishing here the last 4 days. Fishing is slow on the inside, but I’ve heard pretty okay offshore. Picked up a few at Cree (deep) but Swale has been a bust. Everybody I have spoken with has said the same. It should blow open soon. Every morning I hope it’s going to be like that - but the grind continues.
We’re in the same boat! Arrived mid day yesterday and fished a few hours from Whittlestone to Cape Beale and only a few shakers. Started today at Pachina bay to Keeha bay and lost two at the tide change both on anchovies. Picked up the family and ran over to Meares bluff and Cree and hooked up on a few smaller fish which were released and lost one decent fish at 66 on the rigger again on anchovy. On the afternoon tide change ran over too Kirby but was quiet other than a few whales that we got to watch feed in one of the bays.

From the reports at our lodge all the fish are still offshore, anywhere from 10 miles to rat nose but the boats that are heading offshore are coming back with good limits of salmon and bottom fish.

Weather dependent and fog I’ll, run offshore tomorrow morning.

Someone recently told me he never bleeds fish when bonked. I’ve always bled mine ASAP.
Thanks
Stosh
Definitely bleed your fish asap cutting both sides of gills. Ideally while heart is still active. I leave em in fish box for 10 mins before putting them under ice. The quality of the meat is importantly to me. After all, all we get is “Stories,Steaks and snap shots”!!

Thanks
Stosh
If you read the book "Fishing with John" he as a commercial fisher, would take his fish and place them upside down up in front of the cabin, then down to the hold for the ice. I think that was to drain blood from the ribs and belly areas.
When at the Stamp river, a fellow taught us to clean and bleed right away. Blood spoils and stinks in a short time. Lynn Wheeler was his name.
Also if using the roe, bleeding will help keep the roe from getting blood in it.

If you read the book "Fishing with John" he as a commercial fisher, would take his fish and place them upside down up in front of the cabin, then down to the hold for the ice. I think that was to drain blood from the ribs and belly areas.
When at the Stamp river, a fellow taught us to clean and bleed right away. Blood spoils and stinks in a short time. Lynn Wheeler was his name.
Also if using the roe, bleeding will help keep the roe from getting blood in it.
That makes sense. Getting the guts out asap also makes sense, just hard to do when fishing is hot. I love salmon roe fried up with a little garlic butter and nobody wants bloody roe…

That makes sense. Getting the guts out asap also makes sense, just hard to do when fishing is hot. I love salmon roe fried up with a little garlic butter and nobody wants bloody roe…
If you want to freeze them freeze round Hoff, in a plastic bag immersed in a 5 gal pail of water to remove air from bag-no freezer burn.

Hey, for the last six years I've launched in Port alberni and done the run up to Bamfield. Is that the way to go still or should I drive up the new road? My boat is a 20 foot aluminum so easy to launch.

How’s the parking situation? Planning on towing in Wednesday. Leaving Saturday.
Centennial is first come first serve so no guarantee you'll get a spot although paradise parking up the road seems to always have spots.

Parking is $6 a day at centennial and $18 for the launch. You can pay them via e-transfer if no one's at the office.

There's an 'honesty box' for cash too if no one's around.

When I pulled out there the other day we all had to come out on the left hand side (closest to the docks) of the launch at low tide because the slab is buckled and the trailer winds up all slaunchwise.

Good luck!

Centennial is first come first serve so no guarantee you'll get a spot although paradise parking up the road seems to always have spots.

Parking is $6 a day at centennial and $18 for the launch. You can pay them via e-transfer if no one's at the office.
Appreciate the info! Thanks

Heading to Bamfield for the first time Friday, for 5 days, usually head to Nootka but the old man is getting too old. Heard of a lot of salmon spots but does anyone have any known halibut spots?

Heading to Bamfield for the first time Friday, for 5 days, usually head to Nootka but the old man is getting too old. Heard of a lot of salmon spots but does anyone have any known halibut spots?
Look at the charts and follow the north edge of the banks, starting at Beale. The charts will make it obvious. Assuming that you are anchoring, but if not, lots of guys combo troll the banks for springs and hali.

Last edited:
So, here’s a report from Aug 3rd to Aug 7th for Bamfield…….slow! This is our annual family trip with my wife, two young kids (11 today and 8) and my mom and dad so, this wasn’t going to be on the boat all day as there’s a lot of places to explore in Bamfield.

We fished all the usually spots in Bamfield Whittlestone, Cape Beale, Cree, Austin, Edward king, Kirby, Fleming and Sanford for the last tack to wrap up the trip. We fished all depths from 33-80 on the inside looking for bait etc and fishing tight to the rocks as possible just trying anything but the fish just aren’t here yet. We tried almost everything from bait, spoons, hootchies, needle fish and any other thing that has worked before and tried. We did run offshore one day to 10 mile and worked that area and pulled out a few fish but as for my dad he’s not the biggest fan of running offshore in the fog with some of those big swells coming in so, we only spent a few hours out there.

The guys at our lodge that are running from 12 mile to 21 miles are picking up their Salmon and also bottom fish and mostly fishing with hootchies on the bottom.

Overall great family trip again staying at McKay lodge and they always go out of the way for my boys. Both boys had an awesome time fishing for squid off the dock and all the different bottom fish they picked up along the way. We seen lots of whales daily, seals, the resident sea lion that probably lives in the harbour, sea otters and river otters, bears and lots of eagles. I’m back up again in a few weeks so, hopefully by then the fish will have moved into Barkley sound.
64d6b943-4183-46a1-ac1e-dfa30a0dc582.jpeg

24c22985-41fd-431c-b9f7-44aea433b561.jpegIMG_0832.jpegIMG_0794.jpeg7ff92ee4-c0f7-47e4-bdff-72e53e525922.jpeg

Back