2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

As Mike said we ground out 5 at Cree but it was not a hot bite, small spoons and needlefish squirts were the ticket. All the fish were plugged with baby bait.

Was super slow for us at keeha and beal yesterday, marking lots of bait and fish but nothing biting. Got our fish at Cree, still much slower than previous weeks reports.
Water clarity? Plankton bloom funk hit, like last year at this time?

Fished out of Bamfield Sunday-Tues, the weather was rough Sunday afternoon but go progressively better as the days progressed. We tried offshore Monday 5-7 mile for springs and Coho and only managed to troll up a small hali. Went back in to Cree in the afternoon and it was consistent shakers and a few legal ones but over all very small springs with the biggest being 6 pounds. Tue morning we elected to head back to Cree and picked up couple more smalls and our biggest fish of the weekend at 13 pounds. Like everyone has stated bait was tiny so wee gee's were what worked best, although our two biggest fish were picked up on Skinny G's in gold nugget and no bananas.

Last edited:
hey everyone,

Im looking to head up to bamfield in August to fish the inside for some chinook. I have the option of taking 3-5th off or the 17-19th off. If you where to choose, what dates would you choose to go fish. We have a small 16ft boat so will be fishing the inside from poets nook to the bamfield wall.

hey everyone,

Im looking to head up to bamfield in August to fish the inside for some chinook. I have the option of taking 3-5th off or the 17-19th off. If you where to choose, what dates would you choose to go fish. We have a small 16ft boat so will be fishing the inside from poets nook to the bamfield wall.
Might come down to when you can get accommodation. The later date if you can.

I was down on Tues/Wed. Got 6 sockeye on the way down and the fishing in the sound was slow for me. Got into a few smaller springs. I hooked something huge at Meares first thing Wednesday am. Had me in the backing right away and so I basically had to make a turn towards it or snap off and when I did he popped off. Wind caught me etc. Bit of a rodeo being solo. Must have been a big Hali.

I was down on Tues/Wed. Got 6 sockeye on the way down and the fishing in the sound was slow for me. Got into a few smaller springs. I hooked something huge at Meares first thing Wednesday am. Had me in the backing right away and so I basically had to make a turn towards it or snap off and when I did he popped off. Wind caught me etc. Bit of a rodeo being solo. Must have been a big Hali.
It’s most likely a seal, he took 2 fish from me last week, same area.

Hi all - is McKay Bay serving diesel this year? Last year I think they had an issue with their diesel pump.
If not does the fuel dock on the other side offer it?
Thanks in advance!

Back