2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Ill be heading up next week, is the bait still pretty small up there, is it wee gee/coho killer size or will the skinny g/glow hoochi/turd suffice?
#3 Kingfishers are deadly around Cree right now. They are hitting hootchies too.

Sorry a little delayed on my post. Spent Canada Day weekend in Bamfield taking out one of my friends from Sooke/Vic who hasn't fished up here before.

Fishing and weather was great. Found it was more about finding the bait this trip, and working the tide changes. Fished all over (Cree/Austin, Kirby, Edward King).

View attachment 107936
Hey! Was I talking to you at the ramp when you were pulling your boat up? I think I recognize the guy in the photo. I pushed the boat out sideways to line up with the trailer.

Another awesome weekend out in Barkley Sound. Non stop action for springs and coho at Swale Rock and Meares Bluff/Cree. Springs ranged from 12 to 20 pounds and also caught some bigger coho. All the action was on the herring aid skinny g and no bananas spoons at 45 to 62 feet. Small spoons were the ticket as the bait was quite small. Swale Rock had tons of big bait balls of small fish - maybe needlefish? Saw lots of humpback whales following the bait.

Resized_20240706_153309.jpegResized_received_1928894117571477.jpeg20240706_220256.jpg

Way to go! Nice to hear they’re moving towards Swale now. I particularly struggle on coho at Swale. Different program than Kings for you? What depth of water are you fishing there and at Meares for Coho? Thank you for the great report.

Another awesome weekend out in Barkley Sound. Non stop action for springs and coho at Swale Rock and Meares Bluff/Cree. Springs ranged from 12 to 20 pounds and also caught some bigger coho. All the action was on the herring aid skinny g and no bananas spoons at 45 to 62 feet. Small spoons were the ticket as the bait was quite small. Swale Rock had tons of big bait balls of small fish - maybe needlefish? Saw lots of humpback whales following the bait.

View attachment 107983View attachment 107984View attachment 107985

Way to go! Nice to hear they’re moving towards Swale now. I particularly struggle on coho at Swale. Different program than Kings for you? What depth of water are you fishing there and at Meares for Coho? Thank you for the great report.
I was using the same gear for coho around 2.5 to 2.7 knots. Fishing in 70 to 90 feet of water. I found that we had most of the action at Cree around the shallower pinnacles and at Swale around the bait balls. Follow the bait and the fish should be there 🙂

Is there much happening on the South side of the sound? Curious if anyone has been producing close to harbor at the wall, Whittlestone etc. A kid I know boated a 28 a few weeks ago at Beale but I haven't heard much since.

Is there much happening on the South side of the sound? Curious if anyone has been producing close to harbor at the wall, Whittlestone etc. A kid I know boated a 28 a few weeks ago at Beale but I haven't heard much since.
smaller fish around the harbour. outside edges have produced better grade for sure.

PFA: anyone have any images of processing hali for transport. A DFO officer told me you can fillet halibut but they have to be measurable for transport. Unfortunately they weren't able to really describe how.
Thanks for any info.
IMG_1706.JPG

PFA: anyone have any images of processing hali for transport. A DFO officer told me you can fillet halibut but they have to be measurable for transport. Unfortunately they weren't able to really describe how.
Thanks for any info.
View attachment 108043

Processing halibut​

Filleting

• Size limits are in effect – see your Conditions of Licence. Recreational harvesters are required to measure any halibut they wish to retain to ensure it meets the size limit regulation in the Conditions of Licence
  • Any halibut that you retain may be left whole, may have the head removed, or may be filleted as described below
  • Halibut may be packaged by a registered fish processing establishment. Some lodges are registered and provide this service and most coastal communities have certified establishments that also offer this service

Filleting halibut​

• Halibut may be filleted for transport however some care must be taken to ensure that the fish you possess can be readily measured if inspected by a fishery officer
  • In order to comply with minimum or maximum length regulations you must either leave your halibut with the head and tail attached, or you may fillet it so that 1 fillet has the tail and the pectoral fin attached. This will allow the length from the end of the tail to the most forward anterior point where the pectoral fin is attached to be measured
  • Once filleted you should have no more than seven pieces from each halibut including the 1 whole fillet with the tail and pectoral fin attached
  • To remove the fillets so that you can comply with the maximum length requirement remove the top (dorsal) fillets first
  • Remove the bottom (ventral) fillet from 1 side. This leaves you the last remaining fillet still attached, the backbone, tail, and the pectoral fin on the side opposite to where the first ventral fillet was removed
  • You must retain the pectoral fin and the tail attached to the last fillet. Beginning at the pectoral fin, start to remove the fillet towards the tail as you normally would
  • Once near the end of the fillet, cut through the spine above the tail being careful to leave the skin facing you at the tail attached
  • When you have cut through the spine you can cut through the flesh at the end of the fillet down to the skin without cutting it through which then will act like a hinge allowing the tail to be folded under the fillet for transport. If this last halibut fillet is still too long to fit your cooler, you may make a cut through the flesh of the fillet down to the skin without cutting through into 2 pieces. This fillet can then be folded at the cuts to permit storage in your cooler and allow the length of your catch to be readily measured
  • The dorsal fillets and the fillet without the tail and pectoral fin may each be cut into 2 pieces for ease of storage until you arrive at your ordinary residence
  • Keep the pieces of each fillet together in its own bag
  • The ventral fillet that has the tail and pectoral fin attached must remain in 1 piece. Should you make a mistake during this procedure on removal of this last fillet, retain the pieces from it and keep them together in a separate bag so that they may be inspected if required
  • Fillet pieces that are frozen must be frozen separately so that each piece may be measured if required
  • Avoid cutting the fish into smaller pieces, or transporting pieces separately. The regulation states that the fish you possess must be readily measureable to determine that it is in compliance where size limits apply. You are responsible to comply with this requirement

Thanks for any

Thanks for any info.
View attachment 108043

the hali tail is square across, i leave about a 2cm wide piece of the tail attached instead of the whole tail.

Currently its one hali a day up to 126 cm, you can keep two hali in your possession limit if they are both under 85 cm, but you can only keep one halibut in your possession if its 85-126 cm, clear as mud. On top of this the department may or may not increase the limits to 2 undersize a day (0-84.999 cm) depending on the TAC. When in doubt check the fisheries notice. https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=298105&ID=all

Currently its one hali a day up to 126 cm, you can keep two hali in your possession limit if they are both under 85 cm, but you can only keep one halibut in your possession if its 85-126 cm, clear as mud. On top of this the department may or may not increase the limits to 2 undersize a day (0-84.999 cm) depending on the TAC. When in doubt check the fisheries notice. https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=298105&ID=all

Thanks for posting that. A few guys on South island that don't fish up island don't seem to understand this. There was also some confusion early season down there.

Anyways :rolleyes: will be up there on weekend, and hope to see some of you up there. Kind of hoping we can get slightly offshore if swells aren't so bad.

Back