Status
Not open for further replies.
Jigged of Wain Rk for an hour or so while our traps soaked. Fair bit of bait and arches on the sounder. A lot of small shaker springs, many of which were clipped. We did manage to lose one good one. Some prawn traps were loaded, some barren, a lot of big egg laden females. Ended up with enough good size keepers for a few feasts. Gorgeous Day!

It’s hard to keep kids interested in fishing if they just sit around looking at lifeless rods. So instead of heading out of sooke to try fishing. We decided to head out of Sidney to do some prawning. After dropping prawn trap we decided to just drift around and just happened to go pass HMCS Mackenzie. They were quite fascinated by how it shows up on the sonar.

View attachment 98984
What setting is that on the sonar?

Jigged of Wain Rk for an hour or so while our traps soaked. Fair bit of bait and arches on the sounder. A lot of small shaker springs, many of which were clipped. We did manage to lose one good one. Some prawn traps were loaded, some barren, a lot of big egg laden females. Ended up with enough good size keepers for a few feasts. Gorgeous Day!
Thanks for the report I wonder where you launched I grew up with a Deep Cove cabin and would love to pran an fish there again

Thanks for the report I wonder where you launched I grew up with a Deep Cove cabin and would love to pran an fish there again
Mill Bay. It's a pretty crappy launch. Wouldn't recommend it for a heavy boat unless your willing to drown the rear wheels of your truck in the salt. There is a new launch being built just North of the Mill Bay ferry terminal. Don't know what the story is on that one. Arbutus ridge if you know someone who lives there, Cowichan Bay and of course, Sidney.

My apologies if Saanich inlet doesn't fall under 'Sidney'. Technically it is still region 19.

I was curious if anyone has had any luck prawning in Finlayson arm. I was going to try out in Brentwood Bay as I know that area but the launch there is closed.

It’s hard to keep kids interested in fishing if they just sit around looking at lifeless rods. So instead of heading out of sooke to try fishing. We decided to head out of Sidney to do some prawning. After dropping prawn trap we decided to just drift around and just happened to go pass HMCS Mackenzie. They were quite fascinated by how it shows up on the sonar.

View attachment 98984
I thought that area was in an RCA. Please correct me if I am wrong. We avoided it last time we were out that way. Used to be great fishing around that sunken ship. Some of the DFO maps are not that informative.

It is in the brethour, domville, Forrest,Gooch islands rca zone.
Not only that it’s at a popular diving spot. Don’t want to leave snagged lines around the ‘reef’.

Looking at the calm waters and sunshine went for a boat ride around Sidney. Not a lot of fish around, but half were 7-8lbs. Released to grow a little bigger.
Squirts out fished spoons today. Crabbing sucks. All around Sidney spit wall to wall commercials.

Attachments

• 20231114_152546.jpg
    20231114_152546.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back