Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All. I am visiting Tofino in August after a week of fishing in Winter Harbor with my wife, my two kids and Grandparents. The last 10 years I have fished Rupert and am changing it up this year. I will have my boat moored for the week in Tofino. In winter harbor I will have my father in law with me as a co fisherman in Tofino I will not. Any suggestions to find a trustworthy someone to go fishing with on one of the days to show me the ropes of the area. Sorry if this post should be in a different forum.

We moored at the resort last September. Hadnt been there prior to that. Thank goodness we had an outer slip. No way we had the skills to get in and out of the inner slips with the current they experience.

I was impressed with how friendly everyone at the dock was. We had lots of folks, Including a few of the charter folks, give us tips and areas to fish. One gent even hopped on board and started dropping waypoints on our plotter.

Super nice folks. Don’t hesitate to ask the locals. Also, make dang sure you have good charts. There’s all sorts of really tall bottoms in the area….

Just back from Tofino. Fishing was excellent for both springs and coho. Most of the fish north of tofino were feeding on small juvenile herring and small rockfish. Best steps were 88 to 120. Small spoons and hoochies. South of Tofino it was all squid using hoochies and larger squid style hoochies. Fish were just stuffed with squid. Fishing in 30 to 55 ft of water.

Only lousy part of the trip was the last night somebody stole my net off my boat at Tofino Marina.

Just back from Tofino. Fishing was excellent for both springs and coho. Most of the fish north of tofino were feeding on small juvenile herring and small rockfish. Best steps were 88 to 120. Small spoons and hoochies. South of Tofino it was all squid using hoochies and larger squid style hoochies. Fish were just stuffed with squid. Fishing in 30 to 55 ft of water.

Only lousy part of the trip was the last night somebody stole my net off my boat at Tofino Marina.
Ghost of WM needed a net?

Thanks the report, truck and camper 80km away.

In Tofino now. Fished Wednesday the 16th on a morning charter for 6 hours. Ocean conditions have been brutal. Those who fished offshore took a real beating. our charter outfit decided to keep boats closer to shore The day we fished. Swells were down but still 2 metres with a 9 second interval, rough conditions. Fished offshore for chinooks and then inside for cohos. Zero bites For us. Total for three charter boats was (I believe) 2 Chinook and 1 ling cod. Large part of the problem is restricted areas for salmon fishing and retention. Ukee next time?

In Tofino now. Fished Wednesday the 16th on a morning charter for 6 hours. Ocean conditions have been brutal. Those who fished offshore took a real beating. our charter outfit decided to keep boats closer to shore The day we fished. Swells were down but still 2 metres with a 9 second interval, rough conditions. Fished offshore for chinooks and then inside for cohos. Zero bites For us. Total for three charter boats was (I believe) 2 Chinook and 1 ling cod. Large part of the problem is restricted areas for salmon fishing and retention. Ukee next time?
I have had one day in tofino be all time and next day same spot same tactics and program and no bites too...can happen anywhere

Unfortunately the Clayoquot sound chinook stocks are listed as SARA so the inside waters close for them August 1st. That makes Tofino an open water fishery for Chinooks, just like here in Nanaimo up thru French Creek. This kind of sustained winds in August is very rare, usually just 1-2 days max.

You can retain 2 cohos, clipped or un clipped on the inside as the small hatchery there does't clip due to finances but it has been proven thru extensive DNA sampling that they are in fact hatchery fish

Bamfield dude! Any kind of wind in any direction there's always a safe productive place to fish!
And it's on fire here! (Not like Kelowna kind of fire, just sayin...)

Launch at 6am had the sun come up at Lennard and fought weed on the lines and one hit. Ran to Wilf and had a couple more hits but nothing sticking. Finally got into a coho, inside then went back outside Wilf and got a nice spring at noon. Saw some locals getting fish and moved closer and the bite was on for an hour 1-2, double header, a jumper fighter that spit the hook and 3 more for the cooler. Some of the best fighting fish, dummy flashers for the win. Went through a pack of bait and then it was AP sandlance and Krippled KC spoon that had us grinning ear to ear. 46-31 feet on the rigger.

Uke tomorrow to take mom to the broken islands and hopefully get her into a coho at least.

Definitely not an expert, and don't even know if it's open, but I got cohos in these narrows late July a few years back. Nice boat ride.
Screenshot_20230819-161734.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back