2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to continue this - is there any point at all fishing around Amphitrite Point at this time of year? I'm heading out this weekend and may try around that area if the weather is okay, but don't want to waste my time if it's more or less pointless. I'm in a kayak which is a major handicap, to boot.
Hey Skeena,

I've chatted with a few folks that have had some luck at Amphitrite Point recently, should still be some fish around.

Not sure if there's retention on the tofino side in close, but between Grice Bay and Tofino on the inside would also be productive as well.

Chinook
The early season Chinook fishing in April and most of May was very good. After the commercial opening late May things slowed down for over a month.

In the past it has often been the same where the fishing slows down for a while. With the limited area that we can fish for Chinook it makes it more impactful. Obviously we can be sure that there is always a connection but Ucluelet seems to be the feeding grounds for feeder Chinook early season.

Mid July the Chinook fishing really picked up and in close to shore and offshore. Hotspots were Long Beach, Inside South, Great Bear, Fraser Rock, Wya, Flo and Big Bank. Southwest corner was also good late July and early August.

The August run around Wya picked up around August 10 and for about 15 days it was crazy action. We had lots of days when you got 1 fish on you just had to wait 30 seconds for the double hookup.

This September the Chinook salmon fishing was decent up until Sept 10 like the trend has been.

Halibut
The good halibut fishing started to get going in late May and picked up in early June and continued until late September. There were lots of nice catches in closer to shore this year for Halibut and we really didn't have to try as hard or run as far most of the summer.

Halibut fishing during September stayed hot throughout the month which seems to be a trend in recent years. We didn’t do a lot of days offshore but when we did the halibut fishing was fast and the guests were stoked! You never really know what September fishing is going to bring.

Coho

Coho started in June and there were periods of very good fishing but overall maybe not as strong as other years.

The coho were around until mid September though not in large numbers. Normally we see a fair amount on Big Bank though we didn’t find them on the few days we were out for halibut.

Lingcod
Lingcod fishing all summer was very strong if you know spots and methods.

Weather:
May - August was very consistent, really not much for wind and a mildly foggy year. Ucluelet is the best spot in my opinion to fish the west coast for weather.

We had a little patch of strong northwest winds early September which wasn’t normal so that kept us fishing close to shore for the first week. Overall the weather was decent.

If any of you are coming fishing in Ucluelet and staying for 4 plus nights during the summer we have a property where you can park trailers and we have different sized cabins which can handle groups. If you want to fish with us we also do packages and our 3 day package has 50 lbs a day guarantee. We donate part of the package prices to the local fish hatchery.

Best of luck in planning your 2024 fishing trips and you can see a many more photos on the website fishing reports.

Below are some pics from the past month.

Tight lines,
Sam Vandervalk
Salmon Eye Fishing Charters
www.salmoneye.net

Attachments

• Sept-1-2023-Halibut-coho-1200.jpg
    Sept-1-2023-Halibut-coho-1200.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Sept-2023-1200.jpg
    Sept-2023-1200.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Sept-cabins-1-1200.jpg
    Sept-cabins-1-1200.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Sept-dji-cabins-2-1200.jpg
    Sept-dji-cabins-2-1200.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Sept12-2023-1200.jpg
    Sept12-2023-1200.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Sept23-2023-1200.jpg
    Sept23-2023-1200.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 92
Chinook
The early season Chinook fishing in April and most of May was very good. After the commercial opening late May things slowed down for over a month.

In the past it has often been the same where the fishing slows down for a while. With the limited area that we can fish for Chinook it makes it more impactful. Obviously we can be sure that there is always a connection but Ucluelet seems to be the feeding grounds for feeder Chinook early season.

Mid July the Chinook fishing really picked up and in close to shore and offshore. Hotspots were Long Beach, Inside South, Great Bear, Fraser Rock, Wya, Flo and Big Bank. Southwest corner was also good late July and early August.

The August run around Wya picked up around August 10 and for about 15 days it was crazy action. We had lots of days when you got 1 fish on you just had to wait 30 seconds for the double hookup.

This September the Chinook salmon fishing was decent up until Sept 10 like the trend has been.

Halibut
The good halibut fishing started to get going in late May and picked up in early June and continued until late September. There were lots of nice catches in closer to shore this year for Halibut and we really didn't have to try as hard or run as far most of the summer.

Halibut fishing during September stayed hot throughout the month which seems to be a trend in recent years. We didn’t do a lot of days offshore but when we did the halibut fishing was fast and the guests were stoked! You never really know what September fishing is going to bring.

Coho

Coho started in June and there were periods of very good fishing but overall maybe not as strong as other years.

The coho were around until mid September though not in large numbers. Normally we see a fair amount on Big Bank though we didn’t find them on the few days we were out for halibut.

Lingcod
Lingcod fishing all summer was very strong if you know spots and methods.

Weather:
May - August was very consistent, really not much for wind and a mildly foggy year. Ucluelet is the best spot in my opinion to fish the west coast for weather.

We had a little patch of strong northwest winds early September which wasn’t normal so that kept us fishing close to shore for the first week. Overall the weather was decent.

If any of you are coming fishing in Ucluelet and staying for 4 plus nights during the summer we have a property where you can park trailers and we have different sized cabins which can handle groups. If you want to fish with us we also do packages and our 3 day package has 50 lbs a day guarantee. We donate part of the package prices to the local fish hatchery.

Best of luck in planning your 2024 fishing trips and you can see a many more photos on the website fishing reports.

Below are some pics from the past month.

Tight lines,
Sam Vandervalk
Salmon Eye Fishing Charters
www.salmoneye.net
Thanks Sam! Great report. Are there rates for the cabins and trailer parking anywhere?

When I started salmon fishing it took me a whole season and a lot of looking before I caught my first Chinook. My first one came trolling the surf near Ucluelet during my second season. Years later I am still enjoying amazing chinook fishing around Ucluelet. Every year my understanding of the area and where fish can be located grows. It really is fascinating, all the different types of fishing that are possible in the area.

In this video you will see my dad and I targeting chinook on the sand flats just off the rocky surf. As the ocean drops off towards deeper water there is a large shelf in the 120 to 160 feet of water where chinook salmon travel along the coastline and feed on needlefish as they go. We were in the area this summer the First week of August and as many people experienced this summer we too had a great time.

I hope you enjoy my adventure with dad. It is always fun to get out with dad. He's getting better on the net and the rod. Have to keep on getting out and improving our skills every year.

Thank you for watching our videos and adventures.

If anyone is thinking of going out in Ucuelet or Tofino I would love to deckhand and contribute the Christmas cheer of your choice, gas grass or booze (sorry assassin!). I’m here until the 2nd and only brought my freedive gear for crabbing and a surf paddle board.
You forgot a$$. You gotta do what you gotta do to get on the boat sometimes! Sounds like a New Year to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back