2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
179 days to go for my first trip to Nootka. Here’s to fishing Bajo all season and lots of South bound US fish throughout the season. Can’t wait to cruise up the Sound.
Was in Nootka July 2021 and most of Bajo was closed, is it supposed to be open for 2023? Beautiful part of the coast.

Was in Nootka July 2021 and most of Bajo was closed, is it supposed to be open for 2023? Beautiful part of the coast.
Well, you can never be sure of what DFO is gonna do year to year. In recent years you could fish only out to the surfline ( approx a mile off the beach) till July 15. Then July 15 offshore opens with a slot limit. I’m referring to Chinook. Rules for other species can differ year to year. We’ll know likely by June what this year will bring. There’s also an RCA just North/West of Bajo that is quite sizeable.

I've been trying find the Ammo Dump off Nootka Sound on the Marine Nav Maps, but I just can't seem to locate anything that looks like it could be the right location.
Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I've been trying find the Ammo Dump off Nootka Sound on the Marine Nav Maps, but I just can't seem to locate anything that looks like it could be the right location.
Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
About 12 miles straight out the inlet by Estevan point

Attachments

• 820D94D4-8B3F-4993-BF83-FD277C6E7C18.png
    820D94D4-8B3F-4993-BF83-FD277C6E7C18.png
    580.4 KB · Views: 242
Thanks.
Estevan Point is Rock Fish Conservation Area.
So it northwest of the Lighthouse, west of Barcester Bay???
Don't want to get myself in trouble by fishing in the Rock Fish Conversation Area.

Thanks.
Estevan Point is Rock Fish Conservation Area.
So it northwest of the Lighthouse, west of Barcester Bay???
Don't want to get myself in trouble by fishing in the Rock Fish Conversation Area.
just look for the RCA and fish north of it. there’s so much fishable water out there it’s stupid. look for pinnacles or grabby bottom and you’re into em

Attachments

• 33EB0438-5FEE-421E-BFA3-C3427921B033.jpeg
    33EB0438-5FEE-421E-BFA3-C3427921B033.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 199
Going to Nootka (Critter) in July. Not sure whether, if the sea is troublesome on the outside, if it makes sense or is possible to get to Esperanza by going up toward Tahsis then down to Centre Island area via Hecate? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Going to Nootka (Critter) in July. Not sure whether, if the sea is troublesome on the outside, if it makes sense or is possible to get to Esperanza by going up toward Tahsis then down to Centre Island area via Hecate? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
If the outside is ugly you’ll be able to fish the inside of Nootka 2nd week of July on.

You can find areas where you can get out of the off-shore weather as well. If its blowing NE you can hide is some areas around the Lighthouse. If it's blowing from the S (less likely), you've got Burdwood. Depending on the wind, Beano can be ok as well. And as noted, you can fish the inside where you'll find lots of safe spots. I'd say you can fish the inside from July 1 onwards although it gets far better after July 15. You will find the first couple of weeks of July some areas inside turn on while others aren't producing. And that can change day to day in early July.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help mates. I will be there July 6 to 9, so I guess on the edge of more chance inside, but with this info will be able to give some of these kinda “edge of outside” spots a look as well if more open seas look troublesome. Appreciate your response. Tight lines.

Thanks for the help mates. I will be there July 6 to 9, so I guess on the edge of more chance inside, but with this info will be able to give some of these kinda “edge of outside” spots a look as well if more open seas look troublesome. Appreciate your response. Tight lines.
From my experience you will be looking for fish on the outside for sure during that time. I have come to Nootka many times at the beginning of July because I like the quiet before the fishermen flood. But rarely have I seen any fish being caught deep in the sounds that early. So plan for that.

Yes you can make it that way , takes a little more gas but sometimes if things are slow in Nootka they can be better in Esperanza. There is gas available on the east side of the cut off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back