2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks V much for the info. That is an option I was hoping was workable just in case we strike out all other efforts on days 1 and 2 and the outside route too lumpy. I bet it’s beautiful too. I will scope out exactly where the gas is as my tank is only 25 gal and a fallback is best.

@Denny Dolittle if your fuel tank is only 25 gallons, I hope you get GREAT mpg. If you do, then you have a light boat. Anything outside may be a bit spicy for your boat. If you're at critter, the run to the light house is about 10 miles. Plan well! It's a great place.

Thanks mate. With the help of the folks like you and other recent responders on this forum, (as well as some archived postings) I am, as you suggest, being careful in my planning. My boat is a 21 foot podded and babied Glasply with a Yammy 150 And 9.9. Not a light boat. I tend always to err on the side of caution, (my Dad’s teaching since I was 16….60 years ago!!!) and I appreciate cautious advice.

Thanks mate. With the help of the folks like you and other recent responders on this forum, (as well as some archived postings) I am, as you suggest, being careful in my planning. My boat is a 21 foot podded and babied Glasply with a Yammy 150 And 9.9. Not a light boat. I tend always to err on the side of caution, (my Dad’s teaching since I was 16….60 years ago!!!) and I appreciate cautious advice.
My opinion is you need to address your fuel capacity issue

I'd carry a jerry can on your swim grid as a precaution. I always do up there. 21 ft is plenty big enough to go offshore there most days. But you're gonna want more than 25 gallons on board. My fuel burn from Critter Cove to the Lighthouse on my 23 footer is 7-8 gallons one way.

Yup. Agreed. Thanks. Just difficult because range is almost never an issue….(my common go to fishing is well within range with lots to spare) and the realities of boat balance complications and cost of adding capacity. I will keep this trip well within range. If Circle route to Esperanza is in the mix, I will contact them before I go to Nootka, then keep in mind refuelling possibilities at Esperanza Marina in the off chance I go that way.

You might also want to check with someone to verify that the fuel place in the cut-off from Tahsis to Esperanza is still operating. Also Port Eliza or Newtons may have gas.

You might also want to check with someone to verify that the fuel place in the cut-off from Tahsis to Esperanza is still operating. Also Port Eliza or Newtons may have gas.
I checked with Port Eliza last year. They only carries enough fuel for guests. Robert mentioned fuel at the bible camp which may be the same place your thinking about?

Esperanza Village is in the cut between Tahsis Inlet and Esperanza Inlet. I've been there for the last 8 years from April to September and they always have been open and have had gas. Save a couple of occasions when they have run out of fuel, and that was rectified in a couple of days. Great people, last year they were giving ice cones with fill ups! Good prices too!
If they're not open or out of gas, Westview Marina in Tahsis is only 10 or 15 min from the cut ( 5 miles north) and they always have gas.

However, bear in mind, if you're fishing Esperanza, the best fishing at that time of year is usually at the head of the inlet, and that's still another 20 or 25 miles away from the cut in Tahsis Inlet. We're in 26' Striper with twin 150, running about 28mph, and its still another 40 minutes away. If you want to fish Pin Rock, Catala, or Jurassic, its about another hour.

We've made the run from Pin Rock to Hoiss and its good hour to hour and half run.

Last edited:
I am not sure where Pin Rock is but would that be a good Gauge to Port Eliza as well ? This Year after Critter We would like to spend a couple days there before Heading back to Gold River .

I am not sure where Pin Rock is but would that be a good Gauge to Port Eliza as well ? This Year after Critter We would like to spend a couple days there before Heading back to Gold River .
Not quite sure what you are asking but Pin rock is easily fishable from Port Eliza

No Murry called hr to hr and half From Hoiss . My question was is that a fair time to plan for a run from Hoiss to Port Eliza ?
Thanks a lot !

No Murry called hr to hr and half From Hoiss . My question was is that a fair time to plan for a run from Hoiss to Port Eliza ?
Thanks a lot !
Depending on speed and water conditions -it is reasonable. There are closer places than pin. If you commit to go-- there are lots of other spots to fish

Thank You ! The plan would be, If Rob has any rooms, to run early morning from Critter and spend a few days fishing over there and exploring what the fishing is like, Before heading back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back