Winter Reports Sooke and Victoria 2008/2009

Weather was WEIRD this morning. Went from flat to a REAL 4 foot swell to a confused 4 foot with a cap in a hurry. Was strange. By the time I got to Brochie, was calm flat. I haven't seen a swell in Victoria for a long time. Coast guard hovercraft was going for a burn as well.

Not really fishing related, but that's how it was.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Weather was WEIRD this morning. Went from flat to a REAL 4 foot swell to a confused 4 foot with a cap in a hurry. Was strange. By the time I got to Brochie, was calm flat. I haven't seen a swell in Victoria for a long time.
When we used to deliver fish to the old BC Packers plant sometimes the swell would be so bad we had to wait to deliver as it was hard to get the bucket safely into the hold. This was in the spring and summer too, not winter time.
T2

No Rigours

i was out on saturday for a couple of hours... fished the gravel pits. marked bait but no bites.

dropped one crab trap near the esquimalt anglers... pulled it up without a single crab (legal or undersize) in the trap... has anyone else had much luck crabbing lately?

Gave it a go this morning between Trial and the flag pole and nada. Got pretty lumpy out there -- some big 6-8' standing waves at the entrance to Oak Bay on the run home made for some white knuckles.

Nice morning in out of Sooke today. No rain and quite calm.
Lots of action in the first hour and slowed down after that. Kept 1 around 7-8lb, released 1, lost a couple and had a few more hits. Saw a few others caught.
Bait was attracting most of the fish.
Tips

Fished Pedder today. Nada. No fish and no bait on the sounder. Beautiful day with light breezes. Damn ebb tide all day didn't help things. Only saw one other boat and it headed off to Whirl Bay so I don't know how he did.

I did allright in pedder on sunday.... got a couple 6-8 lost a few and one was a goodin [V]. Strip and glow/pearl hootchie on the 190 line right out off the bouy draggin through the sand.

Really wasnt much showing on the sounder but there was somefish there....all on the ebb

Back