What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Getting mine back from Sherwood tomorrow and planning on a maiden voyage after…
They did impellers x2 and a halo for the kicker. They said the gas checks out fine as the tank was full and no condensation/ no water in the separator. They printed the usage of the whopping 5 hours on the boat to date so I can vary the rpm accordingly on the last few hours of break in. I’m allowed to rip a bit but I shouldn’t run the same RPM’s for more than 15-20 minutes then switch it up :)

Getting mine back from Sherwood tomorrow and planning on a maiden voyage after…
They did impellers x2 and a halo for the kicker. They said the gas checks out fine as the tank was full and no condensation/ no water in the separator. They printed the usage of the whopping 5 hours on the boat to date so I can vary the rpm accordingly on the last few hours of break in. I’m allowed to rip a bit but I shouldn’t run the same RPM’s for more than 15-20 minutes then switch it up :)
Come pick me up.

Cleaned it….. for the past 3 days. Whoever originally spec’ed my boat and thought it was a good idea to put carpet everywhere needs a good talking to. Getting the hali slime smell out was a chore.

New Furuno DRS4D-NXT radar and a SCX-20 satellite compass. The install was a long process but sure glad I got it done.

Wish I’d had this combo last month up in North Coast—-pea soup fog for days and days….and almost hit a boat using the Garmin radar. No target painted on the screen then all of a sudden, boom, there it was! That was my wake-up get the Garmin off my boat and step up for the 24” Furuno NXT Doppler. I had that same radar 3 boats ago on a Skagit Orca —-they are unreal for painting clear concise targets as opposed to the Garmin “blobs”

And yes, it was a nice clean install—-thanks for mentioning it….

IMG_2549.jpeg

IMG_2573.jpeg

Last edited:
New Furuno DRS4D-NXT radar and a SCX-20 satellite compass. The install was a long process but sure glad I got it done.

Wish I’d had this combo last month up in North Coast—-pea soup fog for days and days….and almost hit a boat using the Garmin radar. No target painted on the screen then all of a sudden, boom, there it was! That was my wake-up get the Garmin off my boat and step up the 24” Furuno NXT Doppler. I had that same radar 3 boats ago on a Skagit Orca —-they are unreal for painting clear concise targets as opposed to the Garmin “blobs”

View attachment 109472

View attachment 109471
That's interesting I swapped my old 24" Furuno out for a new Garmin setup this spring. Also just got back from 3 weeks up the north coast. I found the radar much clearer than the Furuno. Picked up clear targets on everything of concern. Also perfect phasing on the overlay.

Well…
She floats!!!
IMG_3535.jpeg
Picked it up from Sherwood. New impellers, halo on the kicker and a general look over fluids and print out of the 5 hours.
Launched at Tulista solo just for a cruise then the plan was to pick up the wife and kiddo in an hour…

I trolled out past the launch and went to take off… nose goes way up won’t go on plane :( felt like the prop was slipping…

Called the wife. Boat trip is off. Don’t come!

Then I Called gham as I know he’s on the water right now. told him something is wrong with the prop. He was going to come all the way over from cowichan to look at it with me. Then I decided while I was waiting to lower the motor the rest of the way… LOL once a Stizzla always a Stizzla.

Took off like a bat out of hell. Smooth power. Takes chop well. Then it got flat enough where I was able to give it a go. 42MPH at 6300RPM.

Picked up the girls and had fish n chips on the boat and had a super fun burn! Pinch me!!!

IMG_3537.jpeg

Wish I’d had this combo last month up in North Coast—-pea soup fog for days and days….and almost hit a boat using the Garmin radar. No target painted on the screen then all of a sudden, boom, there it was! That was my wake-up get the Garmin off my boat and step up for the 24” Furuno NXT Doppler. I had that same radar 3 boats ago on a Skagit Orca —-they are unreal for painting clear concise targets as opposed to the Garmin “blobs”

View attachment 109472

View attachment 109471
You are gonna love that compass if this is your first go at it. Nicely done

Close quarters to that dome. Looks like it's almost in the fringe of the 20 degree radar path. Post results

Interesting you brought that up, Ship…the SCX-20 is not bolted into place yet. I’m still fiddling with proper placement. So today I got a rendition of a 22 degree angle off Clip Art, transferred the drawing to a piece of cardboard and held it in place from the radar to where the SCX-20 sits in the picture—-just eye-balling, it looked to be out of the beam

I also considered just mounting the SCX-20 on the dashboard of the boat so I wouldn’t have to drill a hole in my roof. . Behind the wheelhouse glass, it got a .5 reading on the HDOP scale ….I heard if it’s “1” or less, you’re good as far as satellite coverage. But it’s a large chunk of equipment—-it’s going on the wheelhouse roof. The question is….where.

Also, regarding the Garmin vs Furuno question: the Garmin I removed was an 18” dome. The Furuno I just installed is a 24” dome so def not an apples to apples comparison.

Interesting you brought that up, Ship…the SCX-20 is not bolted into place yet. I’m still fiddling with proper placement. So today I got a rendition of a 22 degree angle off Clip Art, transferred the drawing to a piece of cardboard and held it in place from the radar to where the SCX-20 sits in the picture—-just eye-balling, it looked to be out of the beam

I also considered just mounting the SCX-20 on the dashboard of the boat so I wouldn’t have to drill a hole in my roof. . Behind the wheelhouse glass, it got a .5 reading on the HDOP scale ….I heard if it’s “1” or less, you’re good as far as satellite coverage. But it’s a large chunk of equipment—-it’s going on the wheelhouse roof. The question is….where.

Also, regarding the Garmin vs Furuno question: the Garmin I removed was an 18” dome. The Furuno I just installed is a 24” dome so def not an apples to apples comparison.
The rule of thumb is 4ft away each antenna (includes vhf etc) and not in the 20 degree beam of the radar. That being said, I've been talking to furuno alot lately because of this constant install challenge. Every boat is different of course and some are a dandy. I recently had a chat with a furuno tech about a similar install that I'm about to do. I asked if i can mount it right above the dome by about a foot and a half. Kinda like that stern light you have in the pic. They all gave me the green light. The install in the pic of yours might be questionable. I would call and send them pics. Also you can't mount that sat compass inside.

Last edited:
Well…
She floats!!!
View attachment 109480
Picked it up from Sherwood. New impellers, halo on the kicker and a general look over fluids and print out of the 5 hours.
Launched at Tulista solo just for a cruise then the plan was to pick up the wife and kiddo in an hour…

I trolled out past the launch and went to take off… nose goes way up won’t go on plane :( felt like the prop was slipping…

Called the wife. Boat trip is off. Don’t come!

Then I Called gham as I know he’s on the water right now. told him something is wrong with the prop. He was going to come all the way over from cowichan to look at it with me. Then I decided while I was waiting to lower the motor the rest of the way… LOL once a Stizzla always a Stizzla.

Took off like a bat out of hell. Smooth power. Takes chop well. Then it got flat enough where I was able to give it a go. 42MPH at 6300RPM.

Picked up the girls and had fish n chips on the boat and had a super fun burn! Pinch me!!!

View attachment 109481
You gotta mount a go pro on that boat and start a reality show.
I'm sure it would have been super entertaining. I can almost visualize the motor trim drama.
Maybe a cannonball company would sponsor the show.

Glad it worked out for you. Lovely family. Everyone smiling. Thats what it is all about.

Back