What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Needed a sounder Plotter for my rear deck so instead of spending $3k and wiring in a new unit I got a free IPad from my brother and bluetoothed it to the Garmin in my cabin via Active Captain. Total cost just over $100. Waterproof case and suction mount.
Ended up with a fully functional touch screen unit.
Have you tried looking at it in full sunlight? I even on max brightness setting I find it hard to look at compared to a MFD.

Needed a sounder Plotter for my rear deck so instead of spending $3k and wiring in a new unit I got a free IPad from my brother and bluetoothed it to the Garmin in my cabin via Active Captain. Total cost just over $100. Waterproof case and suction mount.
Ended up with a fully functional touch screen unit.
If you don't have a charge port nearby you should install one. They tend to die quickly at full bright and on constantly.

Great little unit, ran one for 5-6 year and sold it was still doing its job
That's good to hear! I know some guys might laugh but it seems to work pretty good so far I just couldn’t spend the money on a new simrad/lowrance unit right now I’ll run this as long as possible haha.

That's good to hear! I know some guys might laugh but it seems to work pretty good so far I just couldn’t spend the money on a new simrad/lowrance unit right now I’ll run this as long as possible haha.
Did it’s job no problem, probably better then the new llowrance anyway, I see a lot of those crap out early in life

I keep my boat in the garage beside my wife's car. So yesterday I unloaded 9 months worth of her treating the boat like a 17 foot wheel barrow for recycling, shoe boxes, unsold garage sale items, plants that came in for the winter and never got back out in the spring.
Pushed it out, put the fly boat in. Changed 2 oils and 2 gear lubes, cleaned the kicker carb, swapped in a new deep cycle battery, charged the starting battery, blew out a bit of leaf debris from the fall, ran the motors in the barrel. Repacked trailer bearings. Remembered to switch trailer balls.

Today was a quick test drive on the lake. Trailer lights, VHF, lights, both bilge pumps, sounder/GPS, motors all checked out. Gassed up (164.9) truck, boat and some Jerry cans.
On the road tomorrow..

the tohatsu had a 7.5x7.5 3 blade prop on it, got a 8.5x9 3 blade off amazon, copkingco brand. worked good, less vibration than the old prop. good deal.
bought a Pactrade tiller extension handle, 18.5 inches to 24.5 inches
absolute garbage out of the box, put 8 rivets in it to make it usable and will probably give it a wrap of fiberglass to strengthen and lengthen the collar
i wouldnt buy another one of their products, shouldve just made one out of pvc pipe

sea trial / lake testing of the new electric kicker setup.
did 4.8kph steadily for 4 hours without needing to fire up the DC generator.
boat works amazingly well on lifepo4. outboard started up fine after 4 hours on the brushless electric setup. good enough to go thru the lake and back to the dock 16 km as a get home even with 2-3 footers rolling in randomly. only issue was the clamp on bracket worked its way loose due to the thrust so i need to fasten it down with bolts. also need to fix the outboard steering system but the outboard as rudder did fairly well. bit weird hearing practically no noise other than waves hitting the hull for 4 hours and moving steadily. had a few boats cruise by wondering how the boat was moving.

Attachments

• hybtesting.jpg
    hybtesting.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back