Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by highlights

quote:Originally posted by dawn2dusk

yeah it was slow at the wall - did not see anything caught and only a few boats even trying - [V]

THe bait right now is super small too. I think they are little herring about 2 inches long. I wonder what would work well to mimic this? or do big springs even bother chasing small bait like this?

It gave me lots of time to play around with herring rolls. I actually got some decent rolls. I used the red package as advised and found that when I put a little piece of wire inside the fish I could bend it just so and get a sweet roll. SO stirred it up tried some different things enjoyed the boat ride.

Sounds good.

Just FYI

Tom Brown's sport bait ( in the red packs ) They are 5.5"-6"

Rig them as per usual. I tried inserting a wire to aid in tuning however I found hooking one point of the treble just behind the dorsal but on the radius of the back opposed to being on the lateral line for a much better roll.

Good luck

HL

2" herring can u say coyote spoon try a 3 1/2 in. should do the trick

Why arent these fish fin-clipped?

quote:Originally posted by Silver Streak

The Esquimalt Anglers Association just completed releasing about 100,000 Nitinat
chinook pre-smolts into Esquimalt Harbour a few weeks ago. We have been releasing
chinooks every year since the early 1990's into Esquimalt Harbour and into Fleming
Beach at the Anglers' ramp. We missed 2008 as were unable to acquire eggs from
Nitinat hatchery because of low chinook escapement there. In earlier years the
fry were held in a net pen in Esquimalt Harbour and fed for approx. a month before
release. Various problems, including returning adults in the Graving Dock,
necessitated the elimination of the net pen. Because the fry are not fin clipped,
the benefits of these plants are difficult to determine. In some years there was
a good return of spawners into Esquimalt Harbour and fish were caught off Esquimalt.
In recent years the benefits have been marginal. These fish return in late August
and September and the numbers do not seem to be there as they should. Close to
200,000 chinooks have been released in most years and with only a 1% survival this
should put 2000 spawners off Esquimalt for anglers to catch.

Tight Lines.

Fished the ledge from Brotchie to the far side of Clover and back to Esquimalt. DEAD. Only spotted a few fish out off of Clover point in about 180' of water. No Bait to be seen. Tried bait and rubber and spoons. Nothing. Was out at 8am to noon. Should have gone for a motorcycle ride???

DUCKMAN: I don't believe any of these fish have been clipped over the years.
It is labour intensive but not costly to clip. Ideally they should be clipped and
nose tagged so that hard data can be obtained when heads are turned in. This
would tell where these fish are caught and how many return to release site. I will
check this out further.

you might also want to check out the 'clipping trailer', a sort of new invention combining electronics and mechanical engineering into a big 5th wheel that goes hatchery to hatchery to do the job here in washington state. interesting that this was also 'invented' right here in the PNW. i guess they have 6 of them at this point. had a tour of one in action and it was amazing to see this function.

fry are put in a tank with a sedative to settle them down, sucked downward via a big pump, electronically measured nose to tail, routed into one of 6 different clipping station tubes based on length, held in a nifty 'vice' while the laser finds the adapose and snip, the operator is watchin all of this on monitors, one/clipping station to insure the clipping is complete, fish shoots out back into the hatch pond. any fry too big are shunted into a seperate tank for a person to do the clipping.

i don't remember the production numbers but i do remember the gal telling me they do in 2 days what would have been 2 weeks of hand labor.

A fleet of boats off the break water this morning.. any reports??
Cookcam2-2.jpg

One trip is worth a thousand words. Get out there and give it a try.

The Pro Pats Legion Derby was held today with the weigh in at Esquimalt Anglers'
ramp by 1:00 PM. Only 9 salmon weighed in with 22-8 the largest. It was caught
at Otter Point I believe. Most of the fish came from Sooke waters. Victoria
waterfront from Trail Island to Albert Head was slow. A few smaller feeder
chinooks are being caught at Constance Bank recently.

A bunch of us were out yesterday and this am doing a big group trip and fiishing was slow off the front and the bank as some of us were at both spots I had one on for a bout 10 seconds and then gone this am. i tell you what a gong show getting in and out of that harbour in the summer ill stick to sooke thank you LOL LOL

Looks like my boat in the far back LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by Silver Streak

One trip is worth a thousand words. Get out there and give it a try.

The Pro Pats Legion Derby was held today with the weigh in at Esquimalt Anglers'
ramp by 1:00 PM. Only 9 salmon weighed in with 22-8 the largest.

Still sounds slooooooow...:(

I heard only one salmon caught between 11 guide boats. How slow is that! Especially considering how good those guides are.

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

I heard only one salmon caught between 11 guide boats. How slow is that! Especially considering how good those guides are.
not so a bud of mine picked ip a95lb another & one which he figured was just as big managed to get away!had a slab of not so lucky one DELISH thanks R.H for pce. of hali. On another note the afternoon shift saw a couple of pinks come thru the marina & we managed to shake off afew sockeye but o slabs

R.S Craven
A fine angler with 3000+ posts and you always have a positive attitude! You never jump on anyone and attack. A true ambassador of SFBC!
Thanks!!!

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

He's talking about salmon not halibut Sammy...
nice job on the halibut anyway.

...yeah he's a nice guy on-line but if you ever fish in Oak Bay you'll find yourself cursing as he reels in all those fish around you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back