Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure would like to get out there and bring a couple salmon on board. Any positive reports from the Vic water front??

I've heard of some springs from Constance Bank but very scratchy at best from close in. Now that the sockeye are open, there may be sone of then off shore.

Out from 0700-1200 on Sunday off the wall and then out past the light on the ridge for sockeye. Nothing doing.
We saw a few bent rods early on and a solo dude in a tinny pulled in a nice spring - he had 4 whale watching boats watching him by the end.

That was me in the tinny getting spring #2 for the day. Sure was nice to get some springs after many skunks when there were no fish around.

Still slow off the breakwater. What was really neat though, was that there were two guys in a Whtiehall rowboat jigging along the outside of the breakwater and one of them hooked and landed about a 25 lb halibut. They netted it (at least part of the fish)on the second attempt in what appeared to be a large trout net. Cool to see!

Hey porcupine - nice fish! I was in the 14' double eagle - three of us in there not really knowing what the heck we're doing - still pretty new at this!

Any reports of any sockeye coming in from anywhere off Victoria? They seem to jumping into boats out in Sooke.

Yes, some sockeye are coming from the waterfront. They have been scattered around the waterfront in most locations. I've seen them off Macauley, Finlayson Point and near Clover Point.

Yes, some sockeye are coming from the waterfront. They have been scattered around the waterfront in most locations. I've seen them off Macauley, Finlayson Point and near Clover Point.

First time out since early July at the wall Sunday afternoon. Hooked one that was a weird fight. Kinda slow and just rolled in the line and popped off right by the boat. After reading the forum, I realize this was probably a sockeye was about 10lbs. Hit an anchovie at 65ft. Saw nothing else caught.

Thinking of hitting sooke this weekend. Pull out some pink squirts and slow her down.

Anywhere else good for sockeye if your coming out of Esq anglers?

First time out since early July at the wall Sunday afternoon. Hooked one that was a weird fight. Kinda slow and just rolled in the line and popped off right by the boat. After reading the forum, I realize this was probably a sockeye was about 10lbs. Hit an anchovie at 65ft. Saw nothing else caught.

Thinking of hitting sooke this weekend. Pull out some pink squirts and slow her down.

Anywhere else good for sockeye if your coming out of Esq anglers?

After fishing in Sooke wed. it was good to get back and fish Oakbay
no traffic to fight on the roads, no lineups at the "FREE" ramp,no agressive
competitor's to avoid, and no barking at eack other on this thread [}:)]:D
picked up a 10 lb'er on the flats and lost another:)

Good going Scott. If as many angler fished the Flats as they did Sooke, you'd hear about a lot more fish being caught there. There are other locations that most anglers just don't fish and get very little pressure, but also hold fish. Sounds like it was a relaxing day.

Thanks for the report on sockeye, porcupine. I gather pink/red squirts fished shallow and slow is the way to go, right? Hoping to get out there this Sunday. We may motor out to Sooke but not sure if it's worth it.

Be sure to remember that everything changes with each tide. You may hear that it is hot in one spot, but the fish are moving along and where they are one hour, the are gone the next. Anything from yesterady is old news and doesn't apply any more.

beg to differ i always poured over old notes about fishing studying trends,types of gear,tides etc.often duplicating reults days, weeks &even much later. certain paterns appear in consecutve days some times a little later each day in the same general area! fishing can be a very repetative action

Hey Scott , Glad you had fun in Sooke! got to do it once a year to see what your missing!

I think both porcupine and slabber are right on this one. Trends from year to year seem somewhat consistent , diferent runs like different things , but if you are a day to day fisherman everything changes within an hour.

Got to get out more if you guys would stop breaking down!

beemer
www.C-TowVictoria.ca

Ya, sounds like things are getting better out west Brian
with lots of Socks and even a few Springs mixed in !
the day we were there we had wind and fog to deal with. [V]

Having kept my own fishing and hunting journals since 1973 I would agree with sammyslabber that they are a great help and often predict what will happen next. History does repeat itself.

Fished off of Brochie yesterday. 830ish after slack ran into the sockey. 1 to the boat lost 2 close to the boat and had a couple more steal the chovies. Landed on green and silver flasher with pink hootchie with glow head. Lost fish were on anchovie Purple Haze (PH)flasher and PH cheater head. All around 45'in just over 100' of water. Never saw them on the finder and when we did see fish on the finder we couldn't get them to bite?? Lots of fish in the air. Good signs.

Good luck out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back