Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Dead out there tonight on the flats, no bait showing, not a touch...
anybody fished Constance lately ?

on a side note , the tide graph showed a flood till 10:00pm
it was already ebbing like a ba$tard when we dropped lines
at 4:30

Not a touch for me either out there (except a couple of cod). I'm down to 1 downrigger for the short term so have a 2 rod stack going on one side. Family is up at Cowichan for the month, so I will be out on the flats and Constance almost every night -- say hi -- 26' Seaswirl Sport Cabin. Slack around 5:30 on Constance tonight so might hit it.

TenMile
<'((((><

Hey twinwinds you can download wxtide32 for free on the web. Not as good as Nobeltec , but if you take the time to set it up you get all the same info.

beemer

Tried rubber and bait and trolled out from the wall to the yellow can. Spotted a few on the finder no hits. Trolled north side or con-bank following the current. Not a bite :( Switched over to halibut gear and anchored on the west side. Couldn't keep the dog fish off. Even caught two on one line. Another first!! Stopped in at Thrifty's on the way home and bought a slab of fish. Can't believe how slow it is. Great day on the water.

yeah it was slow at the wall - did not see anything caught and only a few boats even trying - [V]

THe bait right now is super small too. I think they are little herring about 2 inches long. I wonder what would work well to mimic this? or do big springs even bother chasing small bait like this?

It gave me lots of time to play around with herring rolls. I actually got some decent rolls. I used the red package as advised and found that when I put a little piece of wire inside the fish I could bend it just so and get a sweet roll. SO stirred it up tried some different things enjoyed the boat ride.

I noticed adams and IO charters headed up towards trial or beyond? my guess is that they are fishing those little island north of the flats. Where do you think they are fishing?

on a positive note, the people that were fishing the wall on Sunday were all civilized and following the counter clockwise tack and not stern gating. Thumbs up. [8D]

Was up on the pier in Port Renfrew yesterday (wet ones on the Pub deck) and watched the charters come in. Big fish 20lbs + and lots of them. Brought an optimistic tear to my eye. They are out there and lets hope they are coming this way.

quote:Originally posted by dawn2dusk

yeah it was slow at the wall - did not see anything caught and only a few boats even trying - [V]

THe bait right now is super small too. I think they are little herring about 2 inches long. I wonder what would work well to mimic this? or do big springs even bother chasing small bait like this?

It gave me lots of time to play around with herring rolls. I actually got some decent rolls. I used the red package as advised and found that when I put a little piece of wire inside the fish I could bend it just so and get a sweet roll. SO stirred it up tried some different things enjoyed the boat ride.

Sounds good.

Just FYI

Tom Brown's sport bait ( in the red packs ) They are 5.5"-6"

Rig them as per usual. I tried inserting a wire to aid in tuning however I found hooking one point of the treble just behind the dorsal but on the radius of the back opposed to being on the lateral line for a much better roll.

Good luck

HL

I've landed 20+ lb fish in July by the breakwater when the bait is small using small Kippled K green/silver spoons. If you can find some of those very small 20 pack anchovies they might work as well. It's usually spotty at best by the breakwater in July.

Had the chance on Tuesday to fly in a friend's private plane across Cordova Bay, around Ten Mile Point and across the waterfront. Very cool!!!

In Cadboro Bay we could see the grey whale that has taken up residence near Flower Island. We got permission to circle around and drop to 500ft and I got some great video of it.

Lots of birds and bait activity in Cadboro Bay too. There also seems to be a major algae bloom going on as the water in both Oak Bay and Cadboro Bay was bright green right to the tide line.

The tidal currents were ripping very strong -- it was about 3:30 and right in the middle of a big flood. Not many boats anywhere along our route.

TenMile
<'((((><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back