Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember hitting the Columbians ( course thats what we called them back then LOL ) as they came through the flats in and around May. We would troll or mooch right off the 9th hole and do very well for 30-40lb fish.

Years later mid to late 90's when the esquimalt Anglers released some Nitinat pen stock near the breakwater. Adams, Beasley, Kingfisher, North Country, Cuda,Riptide,Bananas we would all be guiding in there tight to the wall in the late summer and would nail tyees for sure. There are still a few but "porcupine" would be able to tell you best.

The Esquimalt Anglers Association just completed releasing about 100,000 Nitinat
chinook pre-smolts into Esquimalt Harbour a few weeks ago. We have been releasing
chinooks every year since the early 1990's into Esquimalt Harbour and into Fleming
Beach at the Anglers' ramp. We missed 2008 as were unable to acquire eggs from
Nitinat hatchery because of low chinook escapement there. In earlier years the
fry were held in a net pen in Esquimalt Harbour and fed for approx. a month before
release. Various problems, including returning adults in the Graving Dock,
necessitated the elimination of the net pen. Because the fry are not fin clipped,
the benefits of these plants are difficult to determine. In some years there was
a good return of spawners into Esquimalt Harbour and fish were caught off Esquimalt.
In recent years the benefits have been marginal. These fish return in late August
and September and the numbers do not seem to be there as they should. Close to
200,000 chinooks have been released in most years and with only a 1% survival this
should put 2000 spawners off Esquimalt for anglers to catch.

Tight Lines.

Dead slow at the breakwall today. I fished the harbour entrance hard while waiting to get some crabs in the traps. Did not see or hear of any fish or strikes there. Heard that one fish was caught before 7 AM south of Brotchie. Same results off of Clover too from what the other anglers tell me.

Neat stuff. Too bad we can't tell when we catch one of those Esq Angler released chinooks. I do remember the story of a large chinook that was caught in October a few years back of the harbour. I seem to recall it was very large 40lb+. They figured it was just milling around as it had no river to spawn in.

Well, I am going to give the wall I try this weekend. I usually use anchovies but can't find any this year. WIll have to try small herring I guess.

At least the weather is great!

The herring in the red packs are descent ( 5.5-6" ) although are very tricky to tune. I was fishing off Sheringham yesterday and one line check took almost 8 minutes due to tunig difficulties. The fish get a weird bend behind the gill plate. Usually this issue is fixed by breaking the spine back of the dorsal when using anchovie. These herring though are so thin that they really don't hold the shape you give it. Once you do get it though, wow what a beautiful roll. I use an overnight wet brine then dry pack with pickling salt ( just sprinkle ) as I am using them. Either that or rig your teasers with wire.

Had some great days in the 90's with multiple fish days all over 30lbs from the wall. The fish are obviously Nitinat fish with the gold hue to them. Mature fish milling around really not knowing what to do. Post a pick if when you get one. We'll let you know.

Highlights

Mail sent ,

FD

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Thanks FD

Never even thought of that innovative one. Good idea. I always over complicate things.

FD......... you crazy muther f#$% er :D

Your e-mails crack me up bud.

Thanks again

Dead out there tonight on the flats, no bait showing, not a touch...
anybody fished Constance lately ?

on a side note , the tide graph showed a flood till 10:00pm
it was already ebbing like a ba$tard when we dropped lines
at 4:30

Yup! sounds like the currents were bang on correct... Hope your not looking at the tide graph? The tide graph will only tell you the height of the water!! .. you need to look at the current station graph. We had a little discussion on this a few posts before this on Page 22-23 of this thread..

Discovery Island 3 miles SSE Current station reads for Today:
10am .7kt Fld-
12:45am 1.1kt Fld-
3:30PM .1kt Fld

4PM .1 knt slk
4:15PM .2knt ebb- (start of the ebb)
7:00PM 1knt ebb-
9:45PM .1 knt ebb
10:00PM slk
10:30PM slk
10:45PM .2 kts Fld.

I just looked at the tide graph.. yes it does show the height of the water increasing from 7am-10:30PM.... but that does not tell you any thing what the currents are doing... that is why they have current stations..

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Dead out there tonight on the flats, no bait showing, not a touch...
anybody fished Constance lately ?

on a side note , the tide graph showed a flood till 10:00pm
it was already ebbing like a ba$tard when we dropped lines
at 4:30

Here is the nearest current station to Oakbay..
Currentstation.jpg

Here is the nearest tide station to Oakbay...

TideStation.jpg

Hope this give a clearer picture on how this all works...

went 2 for 4 tonight on the flats, 10 and 12 pound hatch jobs, one of the fish lost was a screamer, felt good. slow untill around 8 oclock...

-mitch

Nobeltec 6.5 program and it comes with tides and currents pro.. you have every tide and current station for the west coast..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back