Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Wolf and No Bananas Bag it and Tag it!!! He did nothing wrong its DFO that is messed up and Yes back to the awesome fishing reports NOT!!!!

cby

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Its got nothing to do with getting even its about allocation thats it...we are a miniscule part in what we take but are the ones who get shut down etc

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com
I know Wolf, it's such a crappy situation. It's very troubling to see how the same idiots that screwed the Atlantic Cod fishery into the ground are also running the Pacific fishery. Too see how far things have deteriorated since have been on the water [xx(]

Wow , sounds like this board in the winter time when no one is fishing !!

Anyone catching (besides Craven:D) Pounded the gap this morning , not a sniff.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Wow , sounds like this board in the winter time when no one is fishing !!

Anyone catching (besides Craven:D) Pounded the gap this morning , not a sniff.

hey Brian,don't feel bad i'm on holidays this week, so been hitting it pretty hard and so far 22,12,6 lb Springs for 4 trips, and nothing but dogfish on a Hally effort yesterday.
This was peak time last year... what happened ?:(

Just got back in town so hadnt had time to read the pro`s and cons... yes it was once in a life time fish, and my fishing partner decided to keep it, Im happy for him and support him in his choice.. the fish was 77in 244lbs..... and to answer some ones post ... it was a son of a gun to get into the boat.... we fillet it out and about 90% of that fish was eaten fresh. We handed it out to alot of people Im thinking 20 different familys , who never get or can afford fresh halibut.:)

quote:Originally posted by Humpy

Just got back in town so hadnt had time to read the pro`s and cons... yes it was once in a life time fish, and my fishing partner decided to keep it, Im happy for him and support him in his choice.. the fish was 77in 244lbs..... and to answer some ones post ... it was a son of a gun to get into the boat.... we fillet it out and about 90% of that fish was eaten fresh. We handed it out to alot of people Im thinking 20 different familys , who never get or can afford fresh halibut.:)

My sincere respect for what you did:)

A liar will assume you are lying

Slow out there today, picked up an 11 lb'er, and lost another to a seal. One long line release.
Not much bait showing and the one we caught had an empty stomach.

It's been slow for a long time?? This time last year I was bringing fish home every time I was out. Where are the bait fish and the salmon that follow or is this one of those off years? Come on Mother Nature, I have the first 2 weeks off in July :D

My partner and i were talking about it today, last June was awesome
with lots of limit days and fish into the mid to high twenties.
This year, not so much [V]
maybe they're still coming ?

Out today, for the first time this season, on the Flats. No luck on salmon but I did catch a 38 lb halibut while trolling a squirt along the bottom. That's the first time I've caught a halibut in local waters while trolling for salmon. As my wife would say, that's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

mmmm wasnt slow on thursday, although had some trouble getting them into the boat! let mom have some fun playin them, played 8 fish in total, 1 in the boat... yes all salmon, flats from 11-330. squirts bait and spoons... not a good landing average but there were definately fish in the area!

-mitch

Congrats Tom. I'm still looking for my first incidental halibut while trolling
for salmon. Not out this weekend. Just replaced the shift cable on the 9.9
Yamaha. Casing was split in several places and all full of rust. Just completed
some painting on boat today. Repainted the lid on fish cleaning trough as old
DFO stick on fish tape was falling apart and had lifted original paint in places.
Scraped off the old tape and sanded down smooth, primed with aluminum primer and
top coated with Krylon gloss white. Looks good. On holidays this week so hope
to get out salmon one day and Elk Lake one day.

The Rock and I watched you land that halibut porcupine…tight squeeze in that net! We managed a few springs on Sunday ~ landed two around 13-14lbs and a third in the low twenties. Lost a 4th on the way in. Real scrappers, the big one took a good run at Craven but stopped short of his bow. I think we got a bit lucky as there weren't that many caught. Trolled mixed gear on the bottom - the usual Oak Bay routine and just happened on a few hungry ones. 'And just like Craven, we noticed that the fish had empty stomachs and we didn't see a lot of bait around.

Yeah that was us...thanks for giving way when that fish was coming at ya. I didn't think he was going to stop and then he took a right turn and I managed to get some control. Surprised we didn't get sealed on one of those...they got us last sunday though. We'll have to pick up one of those high-tech deterrents that you guys use. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back