Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost a freight train today, spooled my buddy right down to the knot and snap !
Fortunately had another spool of line , which he promptly loaded up and then....
not another bite :(

Think it was foul hooked? I lost something a while back. Wasn't able to slow it down. Had to chase it with the boat. Eventually broke me off. Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain.

better to have hooked, played and lost then never hooked at all. If you don't get to see the big fish your left to wonder was it 20, 30, 40???? Lol. I'd rather see it before it goes they always seem much bigger if they shake you before you see the fish.

I didnt see mine. Now I think back on it, the fish I lost the other day was probably more like a 40lber... :p Gets heavier and heavier the more I think back on it. ;) For real tho it was big

WOW!!! No chance to get a look?

No look Terry, it bit lightly and didn't pop the release clip right away.
Tim popped it and set the hook, it took off and didn't stop running.
By the time I cleared the other side & started to turn the boat around it was all over.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
By the time I cleared the other side & started to turn the boat around it was all over.:(

I'm sure he's re-spooled with an extra 1000ft now. I've had some fish take long runs before, but I've not experienced a spooling.

Will have the boat back in Oak Bay the week of the 20th after 6 weeks in Bamfield. Will see you out there.

Big hali perhaps?

I'm sure he's re-spooled with an extra 1000ft now. I've had some fish take long runs before, but I've not experienced a spooling.

Will have the boat back in Oak Bay the week of the 20th after 6 weeks in Bamfield. Will see you out there.

still getting them off the front. got this one this morning on bait @40ft

bruce

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 635

Maybe it was a seal? sometimes they get the fish pretty quick

Great Timing

Been a while since I bothered to post anything but I thought this would be good.

Last night took the Jalopy of for a test run off Esquimalt after an engine replacement. All went well so out came the gear. Hooked into a spunky fish, about 18lbs or so, with this cruise ship about a kilometre out on its way into James Bay. By the time the net came out of the water they were just coming up on us, within 100m. Close enough we were chatting with the people on the top deck. Their was cheering and holaring, and was quite the spectacle. Biggest audience I have ever seen for landing a fish. So we snapped a couple of photos as it went by. Here's a good pic of my buddy after he reeled it in.

Attachments

• Cruisen Nick.jpg
    Cruisen Nick.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 652
That would make a great publicity shot for both Victoria and the cruise ship company! If I were you I would open negotiations and see what you can get for the rights...:D

Great photo. I love the urban fishing.
We picked up a nice 15 pounder around noon today tight to shore off Macauly point. On an anchovy 60 feet down in about 70 feet of water. Sure is cool to catch wild fish in full view of a working harbour/city.

Great photo. I love the urban fishing.
We picked up a nice 15 pounder around noon today tight to shore off Macauly point. On an anchovy 60 feet down in about 70 feet of water. Sure is cool to catch wild fish in full view of a working harbour/city.

Well, I guess they are hanging right there. I went for an evening troll from 7-9 last night and picked up a nice one about the same size at exactly the same spot. Anchovie, 39', 8:45pm, 75' water. Great fighter.

Fished constance solo this morning , started at 8 am and was done by 9 am. Two 20 lbs springs.
IMG_0784.jpg

also picked up a chicken last night fishing same spot
IMG_0782.jpg

JF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back