Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We opted to take advantage of what looked to be decent tides and low winds to try for hali today. Aimed for Constance in the morning, but it was a bit bumpy out there, so we eventually moved into Albert Head. Nothing but dogs for 3 hours, and lots of them. Then, they stopped. And nothing. So around 3, when the weather was really at its best, we moved to a different spot not too far off (first time I feel the need to protect my exact location!) and bam, 15 minutes in, my wife's rod went down. And it was on. It came up well, and without too much trouble, we got this one in the boat. Measures in at 109cm, only 35lbs by my crappy scale, but the best one we've ever got in the boat! Kids loved it too! Great day on the water!Sylvie's Halibut.jpg

Oh, wanted to add that, inspired by the forum page, we opened the stomach to see what was in there. As we did so, we say something flashing! It was one of the pirate's den light, as rigged for us at WiseBuys, and we had been using on on our line. It obviously works, caught way more dogs too. Somehow it popped off our rig during the catch - we didn't even realize it was missing until we found it in the belly! However, that's all that was in the belly, it was empty otherwise. A hungry hali!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seahare, I'd go to Constance if you can get out there. Tried twice this morning 8am then later around 11, but with tides it was too lumpy, although winds calm. Stuck around the waterfront to scrape up 4 pinks. I'd say it was spotty for us, but early morning off the waterfront could be ok. We got nothing after noon. Judging from the size of bait showing, keep lures small. Tried a bit of jigging around breakwater to finish the day. Check out my buddy's big catch, half the size of the jig.

Attachments

• Rick's minnow.jpg
    Rick's minnow.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 459
Caught a 6 lb 7 oz Copper Rockfish on Saturday. Pretty stoked to get one that big. Only 13 oz shy of the world record.

Two Springs, two Pinks today off Esquimalt. Springs 12 and 18 pounds.

Black/white Coho Killer, 50 feet.

One at 6am, one at 9:30.

Two Springs, two Pinks today off Esquimalt. Springs 12 and 18 pounds.

Black/white Coho Killer, 50 feet.

One at 6am, one at 9:30.

Hi I have a small question I'm unfimiliare to fishing esquamalt. Where is a good spot for salmon? I also heard you can get salmon off albert head as well, is that true?

Hillier, many boats will fish right out of Esquimalt Anglers and over towards and in front of the breakwater (Ogden point) and further along the waterfront. I haven't seen many salmon from the Albert Head area, but they must be coming down along there too. Pretty much anywhere in front of Esquimalt should be okay.

Well, in the theme of match the hatch, I went out Sunday midday simply to grab a crab trap that we'd left out from the day before and the late night beach fire Feist of the days catch which didn't leave time for searching for traps in the dark. I looked out towards the flats and the birds were going nuts. I couldn't not go take a look. I didn't end up dropping lines but instead took out the dip net. These weren't the normal needlefish bait balls on the flats. I came up to a frenzy to realize these were 4-6" herring! Out comes the bait net and into the bucket goes a handful of dozens of herring. The seals that were chowing down looked choked. The school swirled around and actually used my boat, now stopped and engine off, as cover. I could have just kept scooping but figured that was plenty to not have me buying bait for some time to come! Brining and then vac pack freezing tonight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375836395.341447.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375836573.149101.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375836470.059593.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375836614.263939.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375836369.279115.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375836339.995326.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375836339.995326.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 425
That, is one cool report. Love the smoking on the beach thing you did!

Really nice to hear about all the herring.

Thx for the tips, got three pinks and my son also got to play a nice spring, but lost it on its third run!!
I think it's worse when you get to see the fish beside your boat and lose it, vs not seeing it and losing it :)
Cheers!

Thx for the tips, got three pinks and my son also got to play a nice spring, but lost it on its third run!!
I think it's worse when you get to see the fish beside your boat and lose it, vs not seeing it and losing it :)
Cheers!

You're right on that one , I had my best fish of the year yesterday right to the boat.
Rod in one hand net ready, fish on it's side and within inches it rolls back and takes
a quick burst and the hook popped out.:(

(not a monster but looked to be around 25-26 lb)

better to have hooked, played and lost then never hooked at all. If you don't get to see the big fish your left to wonder was it 20, 30, 40???? Lol. I'd rather see it before it goes they always seem much bigger if they shake you before you see the fish.

I tried to fish the evening change last night it sure was lumpy. Found some bait but not many if any fish on the screen and no real hits. Skunked! Guess life's back to normal now I had a fantastic streak.

Nice catch Andrew that looks like great bait.

These posts about losing fish are kind of like therapy for me. I had the opposite of a streak and lost a few nice fish the last two days (in Sooke not Victoria) including one that was probably my best of the year too. Makes it a little easier knowing it can even happen to guys who really know how to fish. Maybe I'll sleep better tonight.

I watched a biggie swim away with my favorite flasher and 50 feet of line a week or so ago off the waterfront. That was a stinger. LOL

Yup, all dried up for me too. Went out this morning to my usual spots, and not one hit. Sounded lots of bait, but no sign of any salmon around.

We lost a freight train today, spooled my buddy right down to the knot and snap !
Fortunately had another spool of line , which he promptly loaded up and then....
not another bite :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back