The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

The orcas rolled through on us sunday off the grande , and thrasher . Still put some nice fish in the boat so like dogbreath said , I just think it means there are solid amounts of feed for them and that the ocean is healthy with life.

You know that Springs are thick when the Orcas show up on this side.

How Orcas know Springs are thick on this side is another question.

I disagree. These were transient whales and while they do eat Chinook occasionally, their primary diet is seals. In recent years, there have been more and more documented sightings of transients further north in the Strait of Georgia whereas they previously did not come nearly as far north. It is thought and documented that they have been feeding on the abundance of harbour seals as the harbor seal population on the BC Coast has approached and surpassed historical highs. There more than just a few pregnant Harbour Seals in Vancouver and Georgia Strait waters! At any rate, I welcome a few more visits of these guys....fish or no fish...come on by!!!

The orcas rolled through on us sunday off the grande , and thrasher . Still put some nice fish in the boat so like dogbreath said , I just think it means there are solid amounts of feed for them and that the ocean is healthy with life.

There are some good signs in recent years dmurph....however, the situation is still as grave as it has ever been. It's nice to see a rebounding Chinook fishery from the barren sea that it was a few years ago and it's nice to have visits from majestic wildlife. The ecosystem is still definitely out of balance. However, I'm optimistic that in coming years, things will go well. The thing about us humans is we tend to define norms by the conditions of the present and recent memory. It wasn't that long ago when Howe Sound used to cough up 30's, 40's and 50 pounders on a regular basis and it would take a 50 plus to win a derby. Nowadays, if someone hauled a legitimate 50 pounder out of Howe Sound or local Vancouver waters, it would probably make the news or front page of the newspaper as the whales did today.

I disagree. These were transient whales and while they do eat Chinook occasionally, their primary diet is seals. In recent years, there have been more and more documented sightings of transients further north in the Strait of Georgia whereas they previously did not come nearly as far north. It is thought and documented that they have been feeding on the abundance of harbour seals as the harbor seal population on the BC Coast has approached and surpassed historical highs. There more than just a few pregnant Harbour Seals in Vancouver and Georgia Strait waters! At any rate, I welcome a few more visits of these guys....fish or no fish...come on by!!!

I had heard that orcas were sighted earlier this year in upper Howe Sound from a friend who keeps his boat at the Squamish Yacht Club. Hopefully they had few seal snacks on the way through!

You lucky dog, I have no choice I got to be at work. I've been getting my gear fixed up or replacing and check out the price differences on these. The 13lb pancakes are $98.00 at Steveston Marine but walk across to Nikka and get 15 lb for $57.00. I called Berry's about spooling new Maxima Ultra green and was told $45.00 per reel. Nikka does it for $26.00 I'm saving $80.00 on the 4 reels.

I was out today
Wind not too bad. Lost two nice fish at thrasher.
Try again tomorow. Green Spakleback at 125' and bait at 160'.
First trip of the season.
Bowen was quiet for me but others did ok.

Eastpoint

Bell buoy was good to me and my old boss yesterday morning. Had 7 fish on including a crack at a couple double headers. Ended up bonking 3. 8lb,12lb,15lb. Most of the fish came on chovies between 130-95ft on the riggers.

Hey blackmax i have a connection if your interested in 15lb cannon balls phone Arnold in cloverdale he makes all types of weights 15lbders are 32 bucks they are round with a fin his number is 604-576-1154 also if you buy twelve you get one free he is a freind of mine tell him Paul told you,cheers !

Tight lines
billydoos

Hey blackmax i have a connection if your interested in 15lb cannon balls phone Arnold in cloverdale he makes all types of weights 15lbders are 32 bucks they are round with a fin his number is 604-576-1154 also if you buy twelve you get one free he is a freind of mine tell him Paul told you,cheers !

Tight lines
billydoos

I buy my cannon balls south of the border. Holiday Sports in Burlington has 15 lbs with a fin for $25.

You lucky dog, I have no choice I got to be at work. I've been getting my gear fixed up or replacing and check out the price differences on these. The 13lb pancakes are $98.00 at Steveston Marine but walk across to Nikka and get 15 lb for $57.00. I called Berry's about spooling new Maxima Ultra green and was told $45.00 per reel. Nikka does it for $26.00 I'm saving $80.00 on the 4 reels.

I always deal with Dave Steele at Highwater Tackle on Lonsdale. Great service and good prices.

You didn't miss much today. Got one 14 pounder at 128 ft with charteuse combo and that was it. Got a bit snotty in the afternoon, so decided to work on our suntans at Hole in the Wall. Had one good knock there. Good luck tomorrow!

Got a bit snotty in the afternoon,
Your not kidding, I tried and couldnt even get out of the inner harbour,
going to give it another try in the am I guess........Maybe:confused:

got out for a couple hours, got real sloppy pretty quick today,
nothing for me, radio chatter said I wasnt the only one

Didn't look good at all today, no sense going out and turning around. I am hearing Thrasher is the place to be.

Was out for a few hours this morning..out a few miles west of QA
Saw one other sporty at the bell buoy.
Too sloppy to be enjoyable.
Had a few good hits but didn't land any.

I was over at Thrasher Thursday and Friday. Fridy morning Landed a 12 lb right away. Just got one line out and working on second. Pop, fish on. Fishing by myself and lost two nite before, one right at boat, i was reaching for net. So I made sure this time I played this one to the end. Caught at 125' on spaklebach hootchie. No bites after that.

In the afternoon I headed back to pick up buddy at horseshoe bay. Then headed backed over to Gabriola. Big change in conditions with strong NW winds. Kept going hoping it would settle down in the evening. Fished but very rough, no takers.
Still blowing all nite NW, right down georgia straight. Thought about fishing again but worse that then nite before. Decided to head back to Bowen isl. A very rough crossing yesterday morning. Hitting some steep waves broadside up to 6 ft. glad to make it across finally! Fished at cowan point just inside, what an improvement to be in the Lea of Bowen. Had a fish on but we lost it on the dam pass off to my bud. Alos green SB hootchie at 125'. Went thru some nice bat balls there. Worth fishing and can head out to hump if conditions good.

On my three days I had fish on every day, just need to be on the top of your game trying to land and net single handed.

Good luck out there

East point

Thanks for those reports, I've taken all my reels apart and oiled them up as well as cleaned up the tackle. I'll be trying the new Bullet roll teaser heads and am wondering what you guys think of them ?

yup... they work. just make sure to check your roll. if your bait is bent you end up with a looping roll rather than a bullet roll.

Back