Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by maddog

Time left for a few September Hali trips off Vic, and the Annual Boyz camping trip in Renny for the Coho And Spring Bonanza! Thats it, another great summer season winds down.....

Hey Justin is Hali fishin usually good off Vic in September? Do u usually fish Constance?
Thanx
Jason

Fished Otter today... Still some decent fish around. We missed a few and boated a couple around 20. The bite was better in the afternoon.

Fished Secretary afternoonearly eve Shakers everywhere two hookups with sockeye type strikes,lost. Counted app 8 boats fishing the strait for a long time.Dont know whats out there.

Can't let the thread stop!

What you guys are saying for Sooke, does it apply to Pedder Bay and outside of the bay Cheanuh Marina is in?
Forgive my poor grasp of the local area. Was going to trailer down later in the week.
Or should I just wait for some coho to start arriving?
Thanks and tight lines.

Has anyone gone out deep for coho? I got a couple, small hatchery, at Renny at the 200' mark, 36 and 47' down, and recent reports show hatcheries 10-12lbs from 275' to 600' at Renfrew...I see no reason they wouldn't be out second or third tideline Sooke/Beechey area as well....always worked for me past years.

Surely there are coho coming, aren't there?
You mean I've missed most of the good fishing already?

Its very slow out there boys im now done for the year pulled the boat out im going up moose hunting next week on to hunting other things

Wolf

So guys do you think Wolf right and the fishing is pretty much over for Springs in Sooke?

It seems to me that the fish have been coming in late and in lower numbers this year. Does this mean more fish later in the month or not?

What do you guys think??? [?]

I'm by no means an authority, but the last 2 trips out I've seen only shakers although I'm sure there are still a few big boys lurking about, just not very many of them.

Report from my old buddies in the Charlottes say is was some of the best late season fishing of all time with good numbers of fish right up until last week.

Hopefully they are on there way south.

I can remember years ago that the late season was tragic up there, heres hopin'..............

TT

Thur afternoon,eary eve, targteted Coho firstly at the tidelines,nothing. Moved in Possession, Secretary. Saw no one catching nothing. Got my limit of shakers though. So much bait and bait jumping everywhere,tidelines,inshore.

We did really well last year in October - Thanksgiving weekend, in fact - fishing for Coho in the tidelines off Secretary. Tons of exciting action, and we had our possession limit in two days. Of course, this has been a particularly dry year, so who knows? Keeps it interesting...

My wife (who does 90% of the driving when we fish) maintains our success with Coho is due to her habit of zig-zagging across the tidelines, rather than parallel to them. Since most of our strikes happen just after the boat crosses the line, I think she may be on to something.

Hey Guys the coho are out there they are just really deep! 120-140 feet we got four on thursday in 2 hours biggest14 pounds.

Cheers Codfish

Right on codfish , tried to 100 ft on Thursday morning and went out to the third tide line with no hits , looks like I should have gone down the extra 15 to 30 ft .
Tks for the info will be back there on Monday.

Regards

AL

Hey codfish, define "out there". Would this be off of sooke? Thanks for your report, maybe i will have to drop yard work tommorrow and go a fishin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back