Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough negativity! Awesome fishing out there boys! Otter area. Deep. Work that tide! We landed 3 springs today, 2 over 30 and lost a bunch including a double header!!!!!! Still good fishing, just like last year. Also popped a 11lb hatchery coho in the boat and released a 12lb'r. Flat calm!!! Go get em.......[8D]

Out there is straight off Secretary 500-600feet of water. Fishing yesterday not bad lots of wild coho's no hatcheries. Apparently muir was good in the morning at daybreak. We managed one 18 pounder about noon saw a few caught later in the afternoon. They are deep!!

3:30 pm sunday, 0 knots at gordon's beach !!!
What happened to the big southeast they forecast ?
anybody get out to fish ?

Gordens beach you are complety proteced in there on a SE. SW look out really cranks in ther sometimes.

Wolf

Checking my diary, I have to concur with Bodie. I did about a half day with the Island Outfitters boys last October 3rd, (a perk from work!)and we had a great morning. We fished about 2 miles off Secretary (so I was told - it was pretty foggy and we fished off the GPS) and quite deep.

Between 4 of us, we limited on Chinook and hatchery Coho. All of the Chinook were feeders ranging between about 8 and 16 lbs. We released one wild Coho that was estimated at 17 lbs, the keepers ran from about 6 to 11 lbs.

120 and 90 were the productive depths.

Interestingly, we didn't even have a piece of bait in the boat! All of the fish were taken on either a mongoose Coyote spoon behind a green\gold flasher, or a Uv purple hootchie behind a purple haze flasher. We fished really fast - 2.5 to 3.5 knots. We did one really long tack down the straight (with the tide) and didn't turn around once.

I made a note to have a go at it myself now I have a boat here. Given the wind today looks pretty good, I'm off to Pedder to see what I can do. Won't go too far off as I'm solo. I'll report later.

GB

caught a nice 39 lb 15 oz Chinook out at Church Rock on Saturday the 16th. I thought they were all gone but I thought I'd try one more time. Glad I did! Red and gold flasher with a white glow head and a long leader. At 88 feet down.

Can anyone tell me when Halibut season closes?

Did go out on Monday.

What a beautiful, calm day on the water! Fished from about 10:00 to 2:00. Hooked a nice spring at Church at about 1:00 and knocked it off attempting to land it solo ([xx(]DOH!!).

120 feet on a whole medium herring in a wired 500 glow anchovie teaser about 7 feet behind a chrome betsy. This combo has worked well for me all summer - outfished the anchovie more often than not, and always produced the bigger fish. Anyone have any thoughts on why everyone uses only anchovies in Sooke?

Talked to a charter guy back at Pedder who told me that they hooked about 15 Coho way out in the middle on a 6 hour charter. He had a couple of nice hatcheries to prove it. Said it was non-stop action all the time they were there and his guests agreed. He said they were right on the border out in the shipping lanes using small anchovies and fishing at 90 and 110 feet.

Might have to try it next time...

CP

I heard from the grape vine over the weekend a charter at Sooke Harbour got a 51 and a 40 at Possesion Pt. at 6:00PM. Any one can confirm of this???

Those are some nice fish if true.

I fished yesterday and did not see much goin on for Springs inside. Headed out off the 600 foot mark for some amazing Coho action. Two triple headers and numeroud doubles. No hatchies but fun with dummy flashers and choves.

So... where are these Coho headed? Up Haro Strait to the Fraser? If I'm fishing out of Sidney on the weekend is it worth trying for Coho out in Haro Strait off of Sydney Island? Looking at the charts it seems like those Coho you're getting in Sooke should be swimming right up Haro Strait?

That would make sense, but they must take a detour because
very few Coho are caught in Haro.
A couple of buddies used to fly fish for Coho off Saanichton
spit, but that fishery seems to have faded in recent years.[V]

I was in that area last night,Possession, Secretary,didnt see any thing but not saying it didnt happen. Beautiful big Hook Nosers out there,wild, biggest I released,app 16lb. Problem was he thrashed his head into my boat,KO himself I think, tried to revive him but his gills were pretty weak, obligated to release him anyhow.

For what it's worth, in 15 years of boating and fishing around Sidney I've never seen or heard of anyone fishing out in Haro Strait. Occasionally I've seen boats drifting around Kelp Reef, but I think they're after bottomfish.

BTW, there are still flyfishing opportunities for coho from Cordova Spit to the Anacortes Ferry terminal, but everything caught in the area must be released. Most are spawning in Reay Creek, which is a very fragile system.

heading out tomarrow, gona get some springs and coho, which type of coho can you keep, its hatchery coho right??? and wheres a good location for them? just fish the river mouth?

Didn't go out but dumped the boat back in at Cheanuh this pm. The boats coming in didn't have much--the odd coho and 1 nice spring-35lbs.
T2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back