Sooke Reports - 2007

Lol on the other hand to if I was any of the guys from the Jack Brooks hatchery I might be a little choked, Id imagine a few of their springs got sucked up

Having Guided at Langara Island for 17 years, and in years past when the commercial guys did get a opening for 6 hours, try a dozon or more Seine boats, throw in a bunch of Trollers doing there tack as well and not to metion 50 plus sporty's all in a about a 2 mile area, and if you didn't get out if there way you would find yourself in the seine, or your gear taken off by a Troller. I think one seine boat off Otter Point is not a problem. When they get there 4/6 hour opening it's game on for them.
So we need to give there space, cause....we can fish every day.

Thats right cuddy. Sounds bad but Ive seen worse, normally the seine/gillnetters work at night trollers during the day. try 2 sub-areas off Port hardy on sox, 10 seiners bout 50 gillnetters, and at least 100 trollers all working the day, again 2 sub areas, one seiner off muir (allthough we are not acustomed to it) is not a zoo. If you guys complain, not that its not worth trying, it will fall on deaf ears. You all had the right to be there, you guys get scared cause there is a big boat working, and it rocked ya around a bit, again he knew what he was doin.
Again too, not trying to start anything, but in the staits here this is something we are not used to dealing with, but at the same is not uncommon

Have fished out of Prince Rupert when a comercial opening is on and there were about 50 commercial boats and I didn't see any problems as the smaller sport boats avoided them. I think that if the so called "sporties" start complaining about the commercial guys fishing during authorized openings then you will soon find the area the commercial guys are allocated closed to sports fishing during commerical openings. Be careful what you wish for.
I have more of a problem with the charter operators who feel because they have paying guests they rule the waters.

Fished Secretary this evening. Landed a 34.5 Lb Spring, a 10 Lb Spring and a trophy pink. The spring was full of large herring. It couldn't resist my anchovie at 78 ft though.

Suds agreed, Time agreed...........and were back [:eek:)]

Was out at yesterday with a well deserved day off with my buddies and I got to reel in a fish for a change :D:D:DI have never seen such a fat fish we called it a litle tank doesnt look huge on my frame but was a nice 36 lber look at the wrist of it I cant even get my meat hooks around it LOL my first tyee in about 5 years that I personally have reeled in

sookefishing2007150.jpg

sookefishing2007148.jpg

Sweet lookin hog there wolf.....

Bankers hours... nice evening on the water!

Wolf... Ever heard that some dogs look like their owners?? LOL!!
That is a thick fish!!!

Good to hear there are still a few big ones around. I have friends in town this weekend and hope to put them on some fish!

Tips

Good to be back home doing some fishen for myself in Sooke! We got into 6 spings today and one halibut, springs were 29.5,28.5,28.5,17,realeased a 14 and a 12. all the big ones were white marble meat. I often wonder why I even bring out a fishen buddy...[?] seeing as all the big ones came in on his side of the boat.;)
O well, nice Catch Scott! ya waited all summer for it:D

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

GOOD TIMES!

Out standin Morin Chubby. was off the island from 10.00 am till around 2:00pm Fishin beside Happy Hooker never had to change the bait all day. Word is guys who ran to Otter and west off, spanked the springers hard, Anyway outstanding catch guy. cheers fah Cups.

I had a seriously hard time driving up the gravel pit hill heading to work this am seeing the boys pulling their boats heading the other direction. Now I can see why the water was calling--good fishing boys!
T2

wolf thats one of the fatter football springs ive ever seen.

Chubby look at the facial difference on that 17 hes got a stubby nose while the others got beaks. Was it a red?

quote:Originally posted by kelly

wolf thats one of the fatter football springs ive ever seen.

Chubby look at the facial difference on that 17 hes got a stubby nose while the others got beaks. Was it a red?

Yes, the small one was red.

Back