Sooke Reports - 2007

Heading out to otter point in the am. Wondering how today was??

It was a little slow today for action but there are fish there we hit it from 11:30 till 3:00 and we got a nice 38 lber ill be out from the same time again tommorow very very foggy!!!! thick as hell just to forwarn you.

Good luck Wolf

i was out on tuesday. Great fishing weather and we were nailing them off muir and sherringham. Lost 2 big ones who were screaming out line for a good 25+ mins. Both spat the hook about 400' away from the boat and we never got to see any of the big ones. Switched to some big Owner Hooks and didnt loose one after that. 5 fish kept 12-20lbs

New hooks with barbs GOOSE hhhhhhmmmmmmm

No big ones today for us, but our rods stayed busy for the most part,
one fin clipped Coho 13 pounds bonked it, two wild ones released that were at least 1-2 pounds bigger then the hatchery one, nice big hooked jaws:D. 14 and a 16 lb pound springs bonked, one was a white meat, also 2 chum released. Foggy!

Good day Chubby.Where were you fishing

Just home from Otter Point where my trailer is , good steady fishing from Friday to Wednesday.
Largest on Monday 34lb white off of Shearingham in about 170 ft of water fishing between 67 and 72 ft.
Gold Betsy flashers , 68 in leaders using chromed army truck JDF anchovy teaser heads , large anchovy bait.
All the fish were caught in the high slack time .
While cleaning noticed they were chock full of pilchards.
Anyone around Otter Point Muir Creek when the seiner came in and made 3 sets for the pilchards in the bay ??
Oldest grandson got his first spring on Tuesday (18lb red) great day !!!

Cheers

AL

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Just home from Otter Point where my trailer is , good steady fishing from Friday to Wednesday.
Largest on Monday 34lb white off of Shearingham in about 170 ft of water fishing between 67 and 72 ft.
Gold Betsy flashers , 68 in leaders using chromed army truck JDF anchovy teaser heads , large anchovy bait.
All the fish were caught in the high slack time .
While cleaning noticed they were chock full of pilchards.
Anyone around Otter Point Muir Creek when the seiner came in and made 3 sets for the pilchards in the bay ??
Oldest grandson got his first spring on Tuesday (18lb red) great day !!!

Cheers

AL

That F**in seiner was back working Muir again yesterday?? What the?? He was there last Sunday also, look at page 34. of this thread !

Hey Wolf! How was fishin today? I was out for the bottom of the ebb at the harbour, drilled two pieces of bait and not even a touch. Cheers Fah Cups.

Was up top saw 1 fish caught and I had a teen and a hatch coho that was it, know of a couple more down at possesion me is thinking thats it for the year???????we have one last set of tides this week if theres nothing there next week kiss it all good bye hope the coho start showing up!!!!!!

Wolf

Pretty dismal out there. Was out Wednesday and it was even tough finding any Coho around in the usual spots for this time of year in the Pedder area. It's not just me thinking this, Overal the last week of August and first weeks of September have plain sucked from Secretary to Church for Springs.This is usually the peak time for Sooke.

What is your theory on the Springs seemingly moving further West each year???

Hey Justin, you think it's bad in the Pedder area,
you should try fishing Oakbay, not a Spring this year :(
I think you're right though, the fish are holding at points
further west every year. Water temp? shortage of feed?

[?]

Have you tried fishing the south west side of Constance? The fish might be bypassing the shoreline as they go around Race.

Or there just getting picked off further west each year before they get a chance to move down. A numbers game. Talk to old timers and they will tell you they didn't have to leave Esquimalt to bang on hawgs but of course there were millions of more fish around. That mixed with massive schools of bait out west and you won't see Oak bay and the waterfront ever like it it even was ten years ago.

I fully agree, we used to have a good summer fishery in Oak bay
10 years ago, even the guide boats would flock there for the
summer run spring fishery.:)
But i guess that's another story.
Back to Sooke !

Im not quite an oldtimer, but i do remember the good ol' days. We used to jig big Springs off Chesterfield Rock in Saanich Inlet 20 years ago. Oak Bay used to be Hot too. I tried alot of diffrent things this year, such as fishing out and deep. I have never fished so deep as i have this year. The water temp is cooler than last year as well.Last year i could not keep the coho and Soceye off when tergeting Springs, this year maybe 5 Coho all season. A tad frustrating if we have to run to Sheringham and West to find a Spring with consistancy.[xx(]The ones who did make the run did do better.

Back