Sooke Reports - 2007

Desperate for something with attitude and mass. I am pretty new to this and pinks were fun at first but would really like to tie into something with attitude. I am mostly using anchovie with chome or clear holder. Any purple flasher does it. Church rock, Race rocks, Sherringham. Any body willing to share what technique changes should be made for springs?

Thanks in advance.

A green flasher is a safe bet, 5 foot leader is safe as well. For mature springs, I find as slow a roll as possible, very tight, or even no roll as the flasher will provide some action.m There are tons of books on the subject, I find the above will sometimes get me out of a rut. Clear or green teaser heads are usually safe too.

The safeest bet in your neck of the woods may be to book a trip with Wolf, he is a local pro in your area and could show you as much as a whole summer of experimenting.

What a morning! Fishing by Otter pt. 6 springs by 7am !!! All in 30. Min. of fishing!!!!! Got 4 in the boat!!! Had two in the boat in 10-15 min. of fishing before the Killer whales moved in and they were aimed directly for us ! The pod dives just feet from the front of the boat and come right underneith the boat!!! I look on both sides of the boat and the water is all turning and swirling all around us!! My dad and I were looking at each other in shock!.. There was a big Male killer whale, 15-20 feet beside the boat! Much to close for comfort !! With the killer whales beneith us the UNTHINKABLE happened..!! Triple header!!! All three rods pumping out of the clips with springs on!!!.. My dad and I only in the boat, we each grab a rod and we are in utter shock!!! I loosen the drag off the third rod and left it in the rod holder as line went running off it !.. Triple header on with a pod of killer whales around the boat!!!!!!!! I had a big hog on, I tried to rush it in could not budge it, it had sounded near the big male killer whale!!!! I look up and one pair of killer whales kept traveling by and headed for up the coast. The big male killer whale was going in the same directions but suddenly he surfaces again but is now coming towards the boat!! and then he sounds. I'm freakin out.... suddenly my springs does a panic sudden burst run... then all of a sudden the ton of bricks hits the springs!!! My rod hammers all most out of my hand, My reel is exploding!!! ZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! Iam litterly shacking!!!!! The big Killer whale comes to the surface and starts thrashing chowing away on my spring just off from our boat.. it was the most unbelievable experience I have ever seen! Here I am Fighting out a killer whale with the rod in my left hand!!! My right hand I have the net scooping my dads spring all on the same side of the boat that the third rod is on while it is in the holder as the third spring is zipping line offff!!!!!!!! Lines were every which way, it was an absolute frenzy. With almost no more line on my real I had to clinch down on my real and point the rod directly to the Killer whale till some thing gave, the hook ended up bending straight out!! with the leader line busting right through the chovie head side tooth pick holder... ended up getting all my gear back. Wish I had a video camera!!!!!! Iam still in shock here!!!!!!!

Driving back from renfrew at 6 this am saw some deffinate action off otter(plus a couple buds out there)...... great story

What a cool experience you had today there Rock!! makes my day somewhat mundane, my buddy Jigger and I got a 70# and a 48# haly today off west race.
Cheers Fah Cups

Thanks for the response I see now that this string is for reports not questions. I will definitely try your suggestions.

Gorgeous night last night dead calm, whales, massive bait ball 500 ft mark off the trap shack. A symphony of fish launching themselves out of the water, celebrating I guess. It was like those crazy river fish that are invading the Mississippi. For a few minutes we thought something might land in the boat. Nice little double header (small Chinook)to finish off a beautiful night.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

A green flasher is a safe bet, 5 foot leader is safe as well. For mature springs, I find as slow a roll as possible, very tight, or even no roll as the flasher will provide some action.m There are tons of books on the subject, I find the above will sometimes get me out of a rut. Clear or green teaser heads are usually safe too.

The safeest bet in your neck of the woods may be to book a trip with Wolf, he is a local pro in your area and could show you as much as a whole summer of experimenting.

Correction. Not that it matters to much but I guess we had worked are way down a bit. The bait ball was off Donaldson Island not the shack.
quote:Originally posted by jdawg

Thanks for the response I see now that this string is for reports not questions. I will definitely try your suggestions.

Gorgeous night last night dead calm, whales, massive bait ball 500 ft mark off the trap shack. A symphony of fish launching themselves out of the water, celebrating I guess. It was like those crazy river fish that are invading the Mississippi. For a few minutes we thought something might land in the boat. Nice little double header (small Chinook)to finish off a beautiful night.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

was anyone out last night? It was dead calm EVERYWHERE. Sure looked like good fishing weather

Not a bad morning for a 5 hr trip off the Bedfords and Church, we landed one a hair over 40 Lbs, a 22 and a 21 and a nice Hatchery Coho and a monster pink. Lost a least 4 more Springs.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

Well here is our catch today and you can guess the fishes weight on the big one maybe 40 but maybe not????

sookefishing2007118.jpg

sookefishing2007117.jpg

very foggy and rainy day but fun

Wolf

THeRock...

All I have to say is HOLY CRAP!! WOW! what an experience man.

Good stuff.

Im in shock just reading this. I cant imagine how you feel!!

Last Chance nope not a coho!!!!! but I can tell you it weighed 14lbs MMMMMMM what is it????????

Yes it is big ragu and he still goes by that name LOL

Back