Podding a SeaSport 22

FML it doesn’t fit. At top lock (not full tilt) it just kisses my transom which means it will touch every time I try to go full tilt up. I spoke to my builder who told me it’s not a big deal, we will just add a 1” shim between the pod and engine. I’m sure it will squeak by but I don’t want it too tight and I don’t want shims when I paid top dollar! Thoughts guys??

Remake the pod that isn't right.

According to the rigging guide it should be about 26" plus some wiggle room
1643927426742.png1643927465280.png

Last edited:
You could go with a jackplate would also allow you to dial your motor height in perfectly. They have hydraulic or manual options.

Did you provide the builder with the make and model of the engine? If so he should have been able to determine the correct dimensions. ******** for sure that it is too short. I would be unhappy with spacers...
Yes, we had a couple discussions where I confirmed it was a 2022 Yamaha 300. Of course with these guys there is no contract so it’s a handshake deal

Yes, we had a couple discussions where I confirmed it was a 2022 Yamaha 300. Of course with these guys there is no contract so it’s a handshake deal

That motor should tilt up regardless. Take it back, and don't feel bad about it. Mistakes happen in fabrication world. Redo pod. Its a pain in butt but both you and person that built it will be happier. You spent a lot of money get it done right.

You could have a trim limiter installed, unless the 300 has one built in ? A bandaid yes but if you don’t need to fully trim to clear the water then not a huge issue.

Honestly I just shake my head with the quality of work from people. Yeah mistakes happen ...but come on!
That's kinda of a big deal at the beginning of the build is to check some specs and build the goddam thing right!

Feel for you man..

You could have a trim limiter installed, unless the 300 has one built in ? A bandaid yes but if you don’t need to fully trim to clear the water then not a huge issue.
So after a lengthy discussion, I’m taking my boat back to get a 1” spacer between the pod and outboard. It will be high density plastic (not starboard) and properly shaped to match the outboard bracket profile. If that clears it, we will be fine (I understand some manufacturers put this high density spacer between the pod and engine regardless). On a positive note, it looks awesome!

Attachments

• B757B686-D316-4411-932A-2BCB07F98927.jpeg
    B757B686-D316-4411-932A-2BCB07F98927.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 229B6874-2611-42E3-B29E-E6BF47EEDF61.jpeg
    229B6874-2611-42E3-B29E-E6BF47EEDF61.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 245
It might just be the pictures but with the spacer is he saying the cowling won’t hit and the leg will be out of water? I have F150s and pretty sure my pod is 34” and fully tilted I have just over an inch from the stern and clear the water by 4-6” depending on load. I hope it works out for you but don’t try to band aid it to death. If it’s not perfect then I would redo it. Dimensions and volume of the pod are critical or you will hate it….imo. Good luck!

After all that work it is a shame that it didn’t fit perfectly. My buddy has a Sea West(Jenkins design/build) and it does have that type of spacer plate installed without issue. Their boat is a 2003

So after a lengthy discussion, I’m taking my boat back to get a 1” spacer between the pod and outboard. It will be high density plastic (not starboard) and properly shaped to match the outboard bracket profile. If that clears it, we will be fine (I understand some manufacturers put this high density spacer between the pod and engine regardless). On a positive note, it looks awesome!

As long as your happy that's main thing.

I would not be happy with that solution, the plastic will constantly be extruding and flowing. You will never be able to maintain torque on the engine mounting bolts. My pod has plastic on the kicker mount but I would never agree to it for the mains. If you have to live with the spacer have them make it out of aluminum weld it to pod. Plastic is a **** solution that you will not be happy with.

Ya sorry but that is not what you signed up for in any way, they need to correctly remediate the pod and redo the powdercoat. It's not aa huge deal and you'll be happy for life, not so with a synthetic shim.

Yeah screw the plastic shim. Maybe try with a thick chunk of aluminum that is powder coated with the same white. Then maybe it won’t look weird. Or get them to rebuild it. They can probably sell that pod to someone that has a different outboard that fits and recoup some costs to pay for the new pod

your pod looks too short by like 6” so a shim isn’t gonna cut it

Yeah screw the plastic shim. Maybe try with a thick chunk of aluminum that is powder coated with the same white. Then maybe it won’t look weird. Or get them to rebuild it. They can probably sell that pod to someone that has a different outboard that fits and recoup some costs to pay for the new pod

your pod looks too short by like 6” so a shim isn’t gonna cut it
We got the motor to full tilt up and just locked and it just rubbed the transom. Keep in mind that you should be able to tilt your engine a bit beyond lock so by my estimation, one inch should clear it but we shall see..

We got the motor to full tilt up and just locked and it just rubbed the transom. Keep in mind that you should be able to tilt your engine a bit beyond lock so by my estimation, one inch should clear it but we shall see..
If it clears then all is good. Maybe try with the shim and then make a permanent on with aluminum powdercoated. At least it won’t squish out like the plastic can over time

Back