Podding a SeaSport 22

…almost ready for sea trials! This 3-month build has now taken 5 1/2 months (we will politely chalk that up to trade shortage and supply chain issues). Still waiting for one more connection piece before the I can launch her and see how she sits. Hope I didn’t overkill it with the 300 :) Still some outstanding wiring for my new dash switches before she’s all back together but soooo close..

Attachments

• 3B18FEBE-22D9-4776-B172-05A7D4779128.jpeg
    3B18FEBE-22D9-4776-B172-05A7D4779128.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 9B1F90D8-6B01-43F0-BD5C-21ED7144DD80.jpeg
    9B1F90D8-6B01-43F0-BD5C-21ED7144DD80.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 241
  • AC5B358A-7F52-468F-8E01-BE098A19952C.jpeg
    AC5B358A-7F52-468F-8E01-BE098A19952C.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 246
…almost ready for sea trials! This 3-month build has now taken 5 1/2 months (we will politely chalk that up to trade shortage and supply chain issues). Still waiting for one more connection piece before the I can launch her and see how she sits. Hope I didn’t overkill it with the 300 :) Still some outstanding wiring for my new dash switches before she’s all back together but soooo close.
…almost ready for sea trials! This 3-month build has now taken 5 1/2 months (we will politely chalk that up to trade shortage and supply chain issues). Still waiting for one more connection piece before the I can launch her and see how she sits. Hope I didn’t overkill it with the 300 :) Still some outstanding wiring for my new dash switches before she’s all back together but soooo close..
I’m curious what your tongue weight ended up being. I have the same boat but with the inboard and have only about 650 lbs at the tongue.

It looks really good.

Your tongue weight should be 10 to 14 % of your GTW
Yep, another task involved in podding a boat is rebalancing your trailer! I think I have to move my axels back around 6” to compensate for the weight further astern. Funny story for another day, we bought this boat in Prince Rupert and towed it all the way back to Victoria with almost no tounge weight. I could lift the trailer and boat off the ground with one hand! It was a nerve racking 4day drive home

Yep, another task involved in podding a boat is rebalancing your trailer! I think I have to move my axels back around 6” to compensate for the weight further astern. Funny story for another day, we bought this boat in Prince Rupert and towed it all the way back to Victoria with almost no tounge weight. I could lift the trailer and boat off the ground with one hand! It was a nerve racking 4day drive home
I hear you I’ve had some pretty white knuckle experiences passing when I only had about 250 lbs on the tongue

I hear you I’ve had some pretty white knuckle experiences passing when I only had about 250 lbs on the tongue
Are you thinking of podding your Seasport. With all these podding projects having issues by now you should know all the things not to do

Finally got the boat back in the water.. dash put back together, boating gear back in place, washed and fuelled, spent the morning packing up the family for our first trial run and engine break in and wouldn’t you know it, the engine won’t go in to gear! It’s like it’s stuck in neutral.. no throttle cables here, it’s electronically controlled (DES). We are waiting at the dock for the dealer to come down and take a look. It definitely sits about 6” higher in the stern without the inboard. I’ll have to think about it but I think I need less buoyancy in my pod.

Attachments

• FD49D871-EFD3-4B68-9FFE-DB560A5A57BD.jpeg
    FD49D871-EFD3-4B68-9FFE-DB560A5A57BD.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 261
  • B5DC7D2F-7ECB-44E5-8289-75E6180A106A.jpeg
    B5DC7D2F-7ECB-44E5-8289-75E6180A106A.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 256
Finally got the boat back in the water.. dash put back together, boating gear back in place, washed and fuelled, spent the morning packing up the family for our first trial run and engine break in and wouldn’t you know it, the engine won’t go in to gear! It’s like it’s stuck in neutral.. no throttle cables here, it’s electronically controlled (DES). We are waiting at the dock for the dealer to come down and take a look. It definitely sits about 6” higher in the stern without the inboard. I’ll have to think about it but I think I need less buoyancy in my pod.
What kind of engineering was involved in the pod design? This is my absolute nightmare with taking in a project like this. Understandable if it was a little off, but 6" higher? What were they aiming for?

What kind of engineering was involved in the pod design? This is my absolute nightmare with taking in a project like this. Understandable if it was a little off, but 6" higher? What were they aiming for?
I was aiming for level with water line but knew it would be a bit of a guesstimate. Better a bit high in the stern than low - I’m always going to put more gear (weight) in the stern when fishing or boating. Once we get it running, I’ll see how she feels and handles. They have made several pods for SeaSport’s so I am surprised it’s not as balanced as I would have hoped.

Do you have side fuel tanks like mine or one single ahead of the old motor. If it’s forward perhaps you could relocate it in the old engine compartment to shift your weight back.

Take her for a sea trial in heavy seas first, bow down may actually help performance in rough seas. You will also notice that with the pod, the turn radius will change as will how the boat handles when you are docking. Some pod designs can lead to cavitation issues, particularly if they do not follow the hull to extend the hull - the step up pods can cause cavitation as the water comes off the bottom of the hull and creates a disturbance behind the transom. I see your pod is actually more like a hull extension, so cavitation shouldn't be an issue.

A little late to ask now but what type of pod does SeaSport supply in there new 22’ boats. They’ve been doing this for 20 plus years they must have got it right by now.

If you do go ahead and do this I would remove engines and drives, plug holes, and then refloat the boat and see where it sits. You could put sand bags on the swim platform and find out exactly how much weight or flotation you need back there. Seeing you would be removing about 2500 pounds I think your going to be pretty light in the stern
Although you are going to have to add another huge fuel tank to feed those outboards so that will help

Back