Podding a SeaSport 22

I snuck out of work yesterday and drove to Sooke in the pouring rain to check out the boat progress. Pod is underway but not a lot to see yet and some additional finishing and refining of the new fiberglass deck has been completed. Pod goes for powercoat next week and more finishing and gelcoat on deck. I’m looking forward to getting my boat back in my driveway so I can clean her all up and put her back together. With the new engine comes a new control panel / dash. I want to put a 9” lowrance in the dash (currently it’s on top of the dash and very inconvenient). If my unit is in my dash, I can no longer see it when I’m fishing at the rear helm… so somehow I need to rig a second head unit outside or just inside the rear cabin window. Smells like another $2,500 for two lowrance 9” Hds units :(
You might be way past this already but I had a similar issue seeing my depth sounder through the cabin.
I bought a new Lowrance FS7 and mounted it ontop of my dash. These new units have wifi tech allowing you to mirror the screen on any device. A $10 mount off amazon and my wifes old iPad, and I have a second display on the outside. It works great. You can even control the unit using the iPad. I'm not sure why more people don't do this it is awesome. Lowrance.jpg

Finally Off to get the new 300 installed! I’ve also asked them to install new hydraulic steering for the kicker / rear helm attached to the main engine and reconnect all electrical switches in the dash. Lots of little things to “make right” changing from an inboard to outboard

Attachments

• 44280D4E-3E13-4986-A52F-CD57A9CACADD.jpeg
    44280D4E-3E13-4986-A52F-CD57A9CACADD.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 72556112-0FB1-4A46-9C8B-C107883C396A.jpeg
    72556112-0FB1-4A46-9C8B-C107883C396A.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 221
It’s not installed but I got to see the engine today.. sooo pretty. The sales guy said it’s gonna be a tight install and is hoping it will be able to fully tilt up and not hit the transom! That would not be cool after all this work.. stay tuned lol

Attachments

• 4D7431D7-E6D7-459E-9DDD-FD9F83698616.jpeg
    4D7431D7-E6D7-459E-9DDD-FD9F83698616.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 1FB37829-938D-4A14-AF5F-92A921A3802E.jpeg
    1FB37829-938D-4A14-AF5F-92A921A3802E.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 80BA92A5-CB9D-426A-9BAA-6853D7221009.jpeg
    80BA92A5-CB9D-426A-9BAA-6853D7221009.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 165
It’s not installed but I got to see the engine today.. sooo pretty. The sales guy said it’s gonna be a tight install and is hoping it will be able to fully tilt up and not hit the transom! That would not be cool after all this work.. stay tuned lol
So who was responsible for checking that? Did someone design the pod custom or was it a stock plan?

Yup,she's peerrtty alright.Should take all of a minute and a half to measure if it will hit or not.

Uh oh. I would be pissed if that is the case. Glad Walt is doing mine....

I really hope you don't have to pull pod off and get extended a bit. That would really suck. From picture it does look a bit short, but it might be the angle looking at your pic.

30” setback which is the traditional norm is not enough with some of the newer motors, cowlings are much larger than in the past at 30” I had 1”of clearance with a 150 further back you go the more buoyancy you need to offset the weight shift it’s a juggling act..

30” setback which is the traditional norm is not enough with some of the newer motors, cowlings are much larger than in the past at 30”
NOPE thats why you get the builder to look at the motor your putting on ... mine is 35 inchs and is out of water no problem also went with a xxl leg to get more height ALWAYS put the longer legs on a pod. you will see why later

NOPE thats why you get the builder to look at the motor your putting on ... mine is 35 inchs and is out of water no problem also went with a xxl leg to get more height ALWAYS put the longer legs on a pod. you will see why later
That’s far too general of a statement. Poding an 18’ boat vs a 26’ boat is a night and day difference. And no you don’t always need an xxl leg, powerhead to tilt location remains a constant regardless of leg length in relation to the the transom(setback). Your center of gravity would be further forward than say an island runner built on the same hull that’s why you dont see the effects of the weight shifting to the stern as much. Also why some boats will respond to a bracket vs hull extension design because the manufacturers have accounted for this weight balance and moved gas tanks etc to compensate. The goal here is to Keep the weight balanced as the boat was designed so as weight shifts to the stern you need to compensate with displacement to account for that OR move large heavy items further forward.. balancing act.

Last edited:
That’s far too general of a statement. Poding an 18’ boat vs a 26’ boat is a night and day difference.
I realize that but any boat that is past the 22 to 28 foot mark should have the xxl leg to get that motor and pod out of the water Ive seen so many pods that are under water,.or in a following sea try and roll you!!!Ive seen so many poorly designed pods some you see while trolling are almost under water ,we have all seen it not a good design in my eyes...
Do what you want I know I personally wanted my motor to be able to come completely out of the water, and my engine not hit the ransom HENCE why the builder made it to fit like he said a few extra inchs isnt going to matter coon #$%^. im clear on my transom by about a inch and half perfect...

I realize that but any boat that is past the 22 to 28 foot mark should have the xxl leg to get that motor and pod out of the water Ive seen so many pods that are under water,.or in a following sea try and roll you!!!Ive seen so many poorly designed pods some you see while trolling are almost under water ,we have all seen it not a good design in my eyes...
Do what you want I know I personally wanted my motor to be able to come completely out of the water, and my engine not hit the ransom HENCE why the builder made it to fit like he said a few extra inchs isnt going to matter coon #$%^. im clear on my transom by about a inch and half perfect...
It’s not that cut and dry each hull is different 30” shaft has its advantages in a lot of circumstances especially in larger boats but it’s not always necessary. The OPs pod is setup for a 30” shaft height wise but if the setback isn’t enough to allow the motor to tilt forward enough it wouldn’t matter how long the shaft is. Lots of suspect work out there can’t agree more with that.

Last edited:
It’s not that cut and dry each hull is different 30” shaft has its advantages in a lot of circumstances especially in larger boats but it’s not always necessary. The OPs pod is setup for a 30” shaft height wise but if the setback isn’t enough to allow the motor to tilt forward enough it wouldn’t matter how long the shaft is. Lots of suspect work out there can’t agree more with that.
Curious if the motor has been installed yet and how was the trim clearance

Curious if the motor has been installed yet and how was the trim clearance
Still waiting. I went to SG on Friday and reviewed the rigging install and moved a bunch of things (the primer balls were under my engine hatch - moved them to a more accessible area) and a few other minor changes. SG was good about my alterations (it’s T&M of course). The engine is still waiting for the long bolts for the spacer to extend from a 25” shaft to 30” then they can put it together and test fit it. I’m dying of anticipation also! I have read that the standard pod is 30” extension for a 250 - 300 hp which i believe my pod was made 30”…. and because we all want pictures.. I’ve attached one of the exact same boat and pod with a 300 merc. This one was completed last summer

Attachments

• DCA75223-89F0-4BEE-85AE-1945F6B0B0FA.jpeg
    DCA75223-89F0-4BEE-85AE-1945F6B0B0FA.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 10D28991-3F71-4E4B-8E6F-A7CB83ABADC9.jpeg
    10D28991-3F71-4E4B-8E6F-A7CB83ABADC9.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 177
Still waiting. I went to SG on Friday and reviewed the rigging install and moved a bunch of things (the primer balls were under my engine hatch - moved them to a more accessible area) and a few other minor changes. SG was good about my alterations (it’s T&M of course). The engine is still waiting for the long bolts for the spacer to extend from a 25” shaft to 30” then they can put it together and test fit it. I’m dying of anticipation also! I have read that the standard pod is 30” extension for a 250 - 300 hp which i believe my pod was made 30”…. and because we all want pictures.. I’ve attached one of the exact same boat and pod with a 300 merc. This one was completed last summer
Thanks .. Can't wait to see the final install

I know the feeling. Looks nice. Dying to get mine done as well. Still waiting on my kicker to come in. Pod gets started end of week. :)

Did you go with different motor in end? Thought you were mounting on the Yamaha?

I know the feeling. Looks nice. Dying to get mine done as well. Still waiting on my kicker to come in. Pod gets started end of week. :)

Did you go with different motor in end? Thought you were mounting on the Yamaha?
I’m going with a Yamaha- the pics are of the exact same boat but not mine :) Yamaha was the cheapest (or should I say least expensive) of all the engines I got quotes from (merc and zuks)

FML it doesn’t fit. At top lock (not full tilt) it just kisses my transom which means it will touch every time I try to go full tilt up. I spoke to my builder who told me it’s not a big deal, we will just add a 1” shim between the pod and engine. I’m sure it will squeak by but I don’t want it too tight and I don’t want shims when I paid top dollar! Thoughts guys??

FML it doesn’t fit. At top lock (not full tilt) it just kisses my transom which means it will touch every time I try to go full tilt up. I spoke to my builder who told me it’s not a big deal, we will just add a 1” shim between the pod and engine. I’m sure it will squeak by but I don’t want it too tight and I don’t want shims when I paid top dollar! Thoughts guys??
I would think if the shims were welded into place they would become one with the pod and you should never have an issue.

Back