OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Are these fish still Winters? I believe it's spring now...and we do call them Springs for a reason...? Hahahah just curious if there is a timing for the change in name?

Oh and gorgeous fish guys! That big white spring has some unbelievable colours. Love it when they are bright like that!

Here's one more from Sunday. Thanks Mikep for getting me out there.

18# on da hump.

Nice looking fish guys.
Just wondering if heading to the hump from MacDonald is there a good area to drop crab traps off the Hump so as to be able to check on them part way through the day or is the better crabbing over Pt. Grey side?

Most people leave them @ the mouth of the North Arm someplace it gets too deep as you head over toward the Hump.

At the hump today and limited out. Stayed and played catch and release for a bit. Small female was 65cm and large male at 91 cm (weighed in at 23). Released a 70cm and had about 5-6 PCod. Chovy's at around 100 ft was the ticket. No luck for me with spoons and hooch's. Landed all fish solo- a challenge with the big guy! My knuckles paid the price...IMG_1112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At the hump and have limited out - I am now catch and releasing. One 65cm and one 91 cm. released a 70cm. Chovy's are the ticket. Spoons have no hits. Landed all fish solo- a challenge with the big guy!

Not to stir the pot but in anyway but is that legal?

there are a few keeper size crab to be had between Sand Hd and the N Arm but I lost another 2 traps. We did get a few but the traps seem to have been raided. Seems to be a commercial crab fishery 12 months a year between the coal pt and the N arm. I'm not sure what market these crabs are going to but with the commercial fishery from June to Nov and this 12 month fishery I wonder how many times the females and undersize get turned over. Our crab resource is threatened!=mikep;404989]Yup totally legal[/QUOTE]

there are a few keeper size crab to be had between Sand Hd and the N Arm but I lost another 2 traps. We did get a few but the traps seem to have been raided. Seems to be a commercial crab fishery 12 months a year between the coal pt and the N arm. I'm not sure what market these crabs are going to but with the commercial fishery from June to Nov and this 12 month fishery I wonder how many times the females and undersize get turned over. Our crab resource is threatened!=mikep;404989]Yup totally legal
[/QUOTE]

stop slamming the commercial guys making a living ! non of them would risk losing their licences by fishing when it is closed.
if someone is fishing commercial style now , i guarantee he does not own a licence. So is full blown poaching. And probably flying under the flag of first nations...and our rascist laws.

I thought you had to stop fishing for a particular species once the limit is reached, but guys get away with still fishing because they can say they are targeting other species..ie limit on chinook, but keep fishing because you are 'targeting' coho...

since I was a commercial guy making a living on this coast the last thing I do is slam them. It is pretty obvious who is doing the 12 month fishery out here. I phoned a notice into DFO and maybe they would act if there were dozens of complaints.Report poachers 1-800-465-4336.

Fished for 4 hours yesterday am at the Hump. Only action was a double header at 11:00. both 9 lbs. A red & a white. anchovy @ 80', and green glo spoon at 130'. Lots of P cod.
Calm, flat and the sun came out later in the morning. beauty day!!

Well, time to out this thread back on track.

Lots of crab to be had outside the boundary. Around the corner from the north arm jetty in 50-60 feet of water keepers galore and off Point Grey.

DFO is plying the waters with commercial sized strings trying to figure out a few things about the English Bay crabs. They're out here right now off Spanish Banks.

Still plenty of Chinooks from 11-15 pounds off South and West of Bowen in wide open water being hooked primarily from 100-150 feet. Anchovies are working best. A guide friend of mine went 6 for 10 on charter yesterday. They lost one at the side of the boat. Could have had 7 in the tub! Wow! 3 boats I know limited as well with 4 Chinooks each.

Anchovies
Bonchovy G Force & No Bananas
Silver Horde Irish Cream and Homeland Security
Nogs Iron Needle are all taking fish.

Back