O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Not much happening for me out at hitw today. One undersized one at 80' on a small green hootchie.

I spent two hours today at Salamanca at the low tide change with no bites. Did manage to catch one ling though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fished HITW this a.m. and didn't have a sniff from 715am to 1015am so we started to troll away from the balance of the boats and back towards Horseshoe Bay. We were down to our last 10 minutes and had an 18 lb white hit on an anchovy at 60 feet and just as we put the boat into neutral to play the fish, one of the other rods started to bounce with a 7 lber. Called it a (lucky) day and went and pulled up the prawn traps.

Hi all,

Was at Gabriola visiting with family yesterday and sadly - didn't get to go fishing as the wife said this was a 'boating and family trip - not a fishing trip' - but did mange to set the prawn traps in front of Gabriola, 340 feet, using a mixture of prawn oil, pellets, ground up salmon parts & old tuna casserole as a binder to hold the oils - did very well, limited out.
Boat next to me wasn't doing well at prawning - he was only getting got 20 prawn to my 200 on every set, so I traded fishing tips for prawning tips in case I got out fishing- he picked up two low 20's springs , one at 120' with a green & silver 5' coyote spoon and a silver flasher with green stripe , the other at 140' with same flasher and an anchovy using a silver head/rig. He was fishing just south of the Thrasher Rock marker in 500 feet of water.

My Grandson with a prawn:IMGP0016.jpg

Fished at the Bell Buoy on Canada day.
Ended up with a 12lb red in the box, fought like a slab, amazing, however no other action.
Saw 1 undersize get released next to us.
2 crabs in the trap at the end of the day.
With the sun, view and the cold beverages was a most enjoyable day.

Dont get too excited but got this baby today in the harbour. Fish 9:30-3:00. Only nibble all day was this one at 2:45pm. Saw a bunch of boats out today without seeing any nets.
P.S. It was a female, full red salmon.

photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweeet ! ...good to see some pic's of fish , anchovies on the brine . oh i'm excited now !

Who called the bite this morning at the Bell? 12 boats here. We have released 2 wild Coho so far and there are 3 guide boats here.

Fishe the bell and QA nothing moved to the west side nothing Tried bait spoons and hoochies. Fished 35 to 125. wtf I have a curse the last few times I've been out. Hope others hooked up today

No action for me today either. Fished the between the bell and QA but not even a sniff.
One dungeness crab though, so not a total waste. Lol.

Fished the bell for about 2 hrs this morn. Nadda sniff. Tried spoons, bait and hoochies. Maybe 5 other boats out.

Fishe the bell and QA nothing moved to the west side nothing Tried bait spoons and hoochies. Fished 35 to 125. wtf I have a curse the last few times I've been out. Hope others hooked up today

Yes, it is easy to start questioning yourself and your bait and your ability and what is wrong with the charge on your boat.
I did same tacks as you and then hit east side of Bowen and HITW and Harbour ....NADA!!!
I thought this set of tides was going to turn things around. But , i think we all can rest assured that we are doing it right and its just fishing and our day will come. SOOOON ! and when it does , its going to be gang busters for a couple months. So do your little fix it jobs and get machines tuned up and ready :) Fun and our food fish privledges are on the way.

Well once again All the west side blanked and bell bouy just the same. Anyone else have any reports from this weekend. Murky waters followed by a red tide.

Bit better news on horizon as I can offer a report with some action in the harbour. We looked to see if we could find any coho this morning off west Van and boxed 2 well after low slack. Chovy (no flasher) and Coho Killer with flasher . After a while with no more action moved over to QA/North Arm for about 2 hrs with nothing over there -- crabbing was excellent with 9 keepers (2 traps)

DSC_3013res2.jpgDSC_3059res2.jpgIMG_7620res2.jpg

We put one in the box today between Portaue and Lions Bay, a nice 12lb spring, had one other pin pop, but he was long gone. Went out for the evening left the ramp at 4:30 back at 9:00. Great day on the water with my son. Had the down rigger set at 75ft. with a green onion skin flasher and a 3.5 inch Irish Cream.

We put one in the box today between Portaue and Lions Bay, a nice 12lb spring, had one other pin pop, but he was long gone. Went out for the evening left the ramp at 4:30 back at 9:00. Great day on the water with my son. Had the down rigger set at 75ft. with a green onion skin flasher and a 3.5 inch Irish Cream.

Any chance you took a look in the belly?

Would love to know what they are feeding on around here..

Was at sooke this weekend and needlefish were the feed of choice..

Cheers!

I am pretty sure the lack of fish being caught locally is due to there being no fish, as opposed to guys using the wrong setups. Its dry...

I was talking to a buddy who was up on Savary Island last weekend. The fishing up there sounded pretty hot, I can only assume they'll heading down the straight soon...

Back