O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Well after a couple of ****** seasons due to boat issues, work and my kids sports, finally I am back in the game. What a ton of grief it has been, other than a couple of weeks in Bamfield and the Tuna Sootout it has sucked not just being on the water.

Gonna hit the bell and a few of the other local haunts.
Will post tomorrow.

Cheers

Well after a couple of ****** seasons due to boat issues, work and my kids sports, finally I am back in the game. What a ton of grief it has been, other than a couple of weeks in Bamfield and the Tuna Sootout it has sucked not just being on the water.

Gonna hit the bell and a few of the other local haunts.
Will post tomorrow.

Cheers

Welcome back! Was wondering what has happened to some of the guys from yesteryears... You included. Likewise a fella called "Eventide".

Thanks Fm... Been spotty off and on but ready to put a lil blood in the boat, at a min just a nice cruise will work!!

Just out at the QA and lost one earlier this morning beside the boat, other than that not much else going on, didn't see anyone else with anything.

Don't feel bad! I talked myself into one more crossing this morning. One feisty wild coho was all I hooked. Cooking steak and mushrooms tonight. No salmon for me!. Swore off going across again 2 weeks ago.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad! I talked myself into one more crossing this morning. One feisty wild coho was all I hooked. Cooking steak and mushrooms tonight. No salmon for me!. Swore off going across again 2 weeks ago.......

hmmm.. sounds like I should stay local tomorrow ?

hmmm.. sounds like I should stay local tomorrow ?
There was a time when June locally meant trolling along the shoreline toward Sunset in Howe Sound not pounding across to ECVI-then the Squamish run collapsed and that's all she wrote.

But I have seen Springs actively spawning in the Squamish River in July lately so they aren't all gone.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Howe sound QA and west van for coho should all be reasonable bets right now. I am surprised I am not hearing more reports from QA, last few years I fished Bowen thrasher followed by QA/ Howe sound

met eric at horseshoe bay, then headed towards hut island, picked up a white 16lb on a whiteish hoochie at 84ft just past the first reef

Fished Cap/Ambleside yesterday nothing much to report. Other than the blue and white bay liner up on the rocks by the green channel marker. Some really dumb boaters out there! Then when he gets out of the rocks he pulls out right In front of a inbound freighter. Crabbing at least was productive.

There was a time when June locally meant trolling along the shoreline toward Sunset in Howe Sound not pounding across to ECVI-then the Squamish run collapsed and that's all she wrote.

But I have seen Springs actively spawning in the Squamish River in July lately so they aren't all gone.....

Squamish Whites in local waters now Dogbreath. The peak of the run is normally July 1....I know of a 16, 14, 17 taken in the last 2 days. There are likely more than that around but effort has been limited. HITW to Tennis Courts should have some action.... And the odd coho should be around now too. I know of someone who released a wild yesterday.

Squamish Whites in local waters now Dogbreath. The peak of the run is normally July 1....I know of a 16, 14, 17 taken in the last 2 days. There are likely more than that around but effort has been limited. HITW to Tennis Courts should have some action.... And the odd coho should be around now too. I know of someone who released a wild yesterday.

what does hitw stand for ?

what does hitw stand for ?

Hole in the Wall...right behind the ferry docks just outside of Horseshoe Bay...troll North towards Sunset...and the Tennis Courts further up. Anchovies 80-120 feet.

I was there today couple boats there, didn't see 1 net out and no action on the sounder but im just a rookie I trolled from HB past the tennis courts and didn't see anything I was fishing hoochies and spoons though

Fished just east of point atkinson on friday morning soon as i put my line down ,line popped off no fish but a chewed up anchovy ,who knows could have been a bottom fish ..... fished today around the Bbouy nada , decent size crabs still out there ,time for a crab feast , gonna hit the Qa this week ... Cheers !

Hole in the wall. The stretch between Horseshoe bay and Sunset marina

It looks like this area is pretty protected from big wind gust??? I've got a 16ft Inflatable equipped with a couple of Scotty Downriggers - to date I've never had them deeper than 50ft but have them equipped with 150ft of cable.
I normally use them in Alouette Lake (Maple Ridge) or off of Ambleside, but am always looking for new places to fish. (I'm new to the area)

Would you feel safe in a smaller boat in these waters? Sorry for the newbie question....

No prob mkulak. From my experience no area is really a given for safe on our ocean. I would rate it similar to Ambleside without the tide change to contend with. Wind direction is major in these areas (as most for that matter). The exception is that with Ambleside its really easy to get off the water if it blows up. With Howe sound you'll have to deal with it a little longer to get to your ramp. Three launches that I know of are: at Sewells in Horseshoe bay (hard to find parking mid day), Sunset Marina and Porteau Cove. If you are looking to fish HITW go with either of the 1st two.

My wind go-to's for howe sound:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/howe_sound

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/weather...ns_e.html?mapID=03&siteID=06400&stationID=WAS
http://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=03&siteID=06400&stationID=WAS

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=2

Howe Sound can be a whole different animal...just be prepared and check your weather.

Fished from the bell and back towards the banana yesterday morning on the low slack...put a nice red in the box on a purple haze krippled head at 95'...one hit one in.
Ran into some boat issues...AGAIN!!!
thats it...plans in place, will have a new ride before mid July when I return from Bamtown...
Great morning on the wter though.

Getbent

Back